Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
mystique
Painter/Customizer

You amazing sculptors

I am so impressed by the sculptors on The Forum... I know that your talent is innate... but how did you learn? Are there particular books that help? I am so interested in improving my abilities so that I can eventually sculpt something original.
mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Mangus
Sculptor
Sculptor

For me I researched everything about sculpting for about a year before I even started to mess with the clay. I have saved to a file all kinds of ref. another thing that has helped me is having other statues to use as ref. that is the biggest help. The only book I have besides a ton of comics is Arnie's bodybuilding book, very good anatomy ref. there.

Brian.
Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
mystique
Painter/Customizer

Thanks Brian... I have been saving some ref materials (mostly downloaded pics/info on building armature)... I can imagine that a bodybuilding book would be great ref material for a super hero!
mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Mangus
Sculptor
Sculptor

It is and you can get it on ebay pretty cheap. Some statues that you can get on ebay for pretty cheap( usually ) and I recommend are, Lucifer bust, Graveyard statue, Lady demon statue( They are sold as broken items, but mine only had a slight crack in the wrist, $14.95 can't beat it ) Chastity & Jade statue, and Earth X capt. America. The only one of those you might spend more than $30 on is Earth X capt. these are good for all kinds of ref.

Brian.
Mangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

I sculpted a toe once.
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Dead_Poole
Sculptor
Sculptor

I started with sculpture 1 and 2 dvds from gnomon and a couple pounds of super sculpey. Heres a link to the gnomon dvds.
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/analog_library.html
In the Analog section. They really give you a great boost when your first starting.
Dead_Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
eydylhands
Sculptor
Sculptor

I was always able to draw from a very early age...i did the kit thing like everone else building all my favorites as a child.
THen I stopped building models for a long time, until I saw some of the Horizon vinyl kits and it re-ignited something in me.

I started painting figure kits again...people wanted me to paint theirs...but cutsomize them and make 'em unique. This went on for a while until my wife said you change more on the kit than you leave untoched. "Why don't you try to sculpt one from scratch."

I did. My first sculpt took SIX months and I made every mistake possible along the way.
That's it... I just progressed from there. There is no substitute for just jumping in a DOING something.

The first time you try sculpting it will look like crap. don't quit..take criticism and use it...but don't let it stop you... learn from it and keep striving to make each piece better than your last one.

I hope this helps,
jikm
eydylhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Hey Candice!

There are a couple of spectacular books out there that you can pic up... which I will list in a moment

If you have the inspiration and are already a talented artist... Like you are, then that will help you out a lot. Sculpting is about seeing and observing mostly. It's how you translate what you already are seeing and or perceiving. I still don't have it all figured out but man what a difference having reference and the right tools can make. Magazines, other people's sculpts, books, live models, photos, web... The amount of research and material you can find are outstanding... just gotta pick it up and go to it m'lady because it is so addictive it's rediculous...

Now to the books

The holy grail of face/head/portrait sculpting
"Portrait Sculpting"
by Philippe and Charles Faraut (only available through their web site PCF studios...

"Modeling the figure in clay"
by Lucchesi

"Modeling the head in clay"
by Lucchesi (this is okay but not as cool as the portrait sculpting book

Any really good anatomy book you can land is also a plus...

These are my staples but then I try to reference the heck outta any sculpting attempt... If you weasle enough you can get people to pose for you and you can use those to reference the way the muscles flex and the way the skin covers them in that position...

Hope this helps a little... If I had any talent to back it up I'd be better suited to give advice

Keith
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna
I sculpted a toe once.

and a good toe it was T
Old 03-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Perna
Budda Budda Bamfer!
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg59
and a good toe it was T
Thanks Kdawg, but I'll never be nowhere as good at sculpting as you guys on this forum.

Candice, these guys have great advice. Anything they say is gold. Gold I tells ya!
Perna is offline   Reply With Quote