Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #21
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkpitt
Hi William

Thanks for the tip's, I am about a week off my first cooking session and this thread was recommended by occulum, I was particularly interested in the fact you can cook and re cook. How do you stand if say you cook 2 sections and use Aves to fill then you need to cook again for any additions how dose Aves cope with the process?

John

If you mean using it to fill cracks, it's a toss up. SS swells slightly as it cooks, and shrinks as it cools. Anything of different molecular structure, may not react in unison. Generally though, when rebaking after main baking, keep the temp around 220 degrees, and always let it cool in the oven with the door SHUT.

Once cracks occur, they will usually reoccur with every baking, unless you cut the crack out in total and repack with clay.
William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:31 PM   #22
Timbone
Frackin!

Aves Apoxie Sculpt is really great for filling in cracks, though I do not know how well it holds up after repeated baking.

Thanks for the tips, WP! Your time and effort is much appreciated.
Timbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #23
Countrikula
Sculptor
Sculptor

I've found that epoxy putty will separate from the clay if you put a repaired piece in the oven. It tends to peel away a little bit. So, if you're doing epoxy repairs, you'd do well to wait until all baking is finished. :-)
VERY cool thread, WP. Nice of you to share with the folks.
I'm with ya- bake that puppy 'til it becomes a diamond!

And I LOVE that Cap piece, too! Kick-ass.
Countrikula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #24
iamneo
Doh!

baking super sculpey to achieve proper hardness

guys, here is a tip i figured out by mixing clays. by mixing either grey super sculpey or beige super sculpey with flex sculpey you get a sort of happy medium with a hard but rubbery texture. can be cut cleanly . it seems to solve all problems, also has killer sculpting properties. here is what i did i mixed some old beige ss with a little bit of blue flex ss( about5 to 1 ratio of bige ss to blue flex sculpey. turned a gool grey colr, then mixed about half grey ss with that new grey mixture. wow is all i can say. this sounds like alot of work, but man it seems to be the perfect blend. i found the grey ss to be a little too stiff and dry, this solved that problem as well. enjoy
iamneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #25
2Bit Sculptor
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thank's Will'm, et al

Lots o'good stuff to know.

Chuck
2Bit Sculptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 AM   #26
Professor Oreo
Sculptor
Sculptor

This is incredibly helpful! Thanks William!!!
Professor Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #27
siegaard
Doh!

Baking Super Sculpey

Hi Williiam P!
THE DANE here! Great info on baking! The color orange you're showing of baked super sculpey is the same MAX durability gauge that I use. But since I have a convection oven instead of a regular oven, I can bake at 275 F with the air movement, things bake great without fear of burning. I'm looking foreward to your heat gunning sculpt chopping tut! I just started doing this a few months ago and it ROCKS! It's so easy.
Let's see more zombie sculpts, Bill!
Wayne
www.figuresculpture.net
siegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #28
siegaard
Doh!

my new grey clay mix

Ever since midwestclay.com stopped selling the "Grey Sculpting Compound" to me, I've developed a matching hand-mixed formula using Premo & Super Sculpey.
1 of the 4 extruded bars that come in a 1 LB pack of Beige Super Sculpey
1/2 extruded bars of Premo White from the 2 OZ bar.
1/4 extruded bar of black Premo from 2 OZ bar.
This mix matches pretty closely the Polyform Grey Compound. This mix with premo gives the baked sculpt crack resistance and flexiblity.
I agree that all crack repairs have to wait until the final bake and cool-down and 24 hours cold before repairing hairline cracks by super gluing and shutting crack while it's warm. Big cracks get Aves after sanding and smoothing.
Wayne
www.figuresculpture.net
siegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 AM   #29
Wesley Pierce
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Slight burning on appendages

I used a piece of foil while baking my first full sized piece and noticed that all of the edges that touched the foil burned to a dark black. I may be wrong to assume this, but I think it would be the same if I used anything else to set the sculpt on when baking.

Any Ideas on how to avoid this?
Wesley Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #30
red-kal
A day without sunshine is like... night.

i burned some parts of a sculpture i am doing in super sculpey.... do i need to sand off black areas or cut them away?

should i just sculpt over them or leave them be? will it lead to problems later like cracking and or pieces falling off (like the nose)?

here is the likeness sculpt i am doing... i am very worried about the nose... not so much the back of the head.... from what i understood... from william paquet's comments is that i can cut off parts when sculpt is still warm from baking.... please help a newbie out...
thanks,
redkal

red-kal is offline   Reply With Quote