Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
nanokiller
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Airbrush Help

Ok. I bought a cheap airbrush to start painting. I now read that there are airbrush with double action. What does that mean? Is it better then a single action Airbrush?
nanokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

Double action means that you can control the amount of paint as well as the amount of airflow by holding down and pulling back on the trigger. Pushing the trigger down releases air, pulling it back releases paint, it take some getting used to if all you;ve ever used is a single action.

A single action airbrush dispenses paint and air when press the trigger, and offers little control, you can of course control the air pressure from your compressor, but not the flow of paint.

Double action AB is WAY better as it allows more control .. but you can still use a single action for base colors and such.

Here's a great website with info and videos on each

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/airbrushs.htm

Also David Fisher's Modelmania DVD Volume I discusses airbrushes and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
nanokiller
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Thanks. I'm learning something new everyday You know any good, not too expensive BA airbrushes?
nanokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
calkat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I'm new to airbrushes as well, and hope to start on a few kits I have. I just purchase a Paasche double action kit for $100. It's an internal mix, siphon feed. came with 2 bottles, a hose, a metal cup, 2 needles and a hanger.
calkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Jesse321
Galactus

If you're going to get into painting, I suggest biting the bullet and getting some good airbrushes.

The Sotar 20/20 and the Iwata CH/HP are my 2 personal favorites.

But, any brush that you choose, go for a gravity feed rather than syphon feed, I've personally never had any luck with syphon feed AB's.

If you take the Begineer's Painting Class at Kitbuilders, you get a Sotar, Air Compressor, paints, kit and various supplies ... and the price is around 350 to 400 .. which is a STEEL considering all you get.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
If you're going to get into painting, I suggest biting the bullet and getting some good airbrushes.

The Sotar 20/20 and the Iwata CH/HP are my 2 personal favorites.

But, any brush that you choose, go for a gravity feed rather than syphon feed, I've personally never had any luck with syphon feed AB's.

If you take the Begineer's Painting Class at Kitbuilders, you get a Sotar, Air Compressor, paints, kit and various supplies ... and the price is around 350 to 400 .. which is a STEEL considering all you get.

or steal :tounge:
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Double action means that you can control the amount of paint as well as the amount of airflow by holding down and pulling back on the trigger. Pushing the trigger down releases air, pulling it back releases paint, it take some getting used to if all you;ve ever used is a single action.

A single action airbrush dispenses paint and air when press the trigger, and offers little control, you can of course control the air pressure from your compressor, but not the flow of paint.

Double action AB is WAY better as it allows more control .. but you can still use a single action for base colors and such.

Here's a great website with info and videos on each

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/airbrushs.htm

Also David Fisher's Modelmania DVD Volume I discusses airbrushes and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Thanks for the link Jesse...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
or steal :tounge:
An "award winning painter" and all you get a lame crack correcting a typo! PFFT ... a whole hell of a lotta help you are! :tounge:
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
calkat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give the siphon feed one a try first, see how it goes. I'm going to pick up some paints next week, and maybe try a couple of things.
calkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

I just ordered a Badger "renegade velocity" AB yesterday to go with my others I am told its a good one also, so I have to try it out.