Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #101
azurepred
Zot

either way, it's a bad thing. A open ES is just as bad as a ridiculously high ES in my book. The only thing a set ES does is keep them from making more after it finally sells out, but then they could do another variant, so it doesn't really matter. SS has been doing stuff like that for years, so honestly, when I read ppl whine about, I ask them why they continue to collect SS as if it's something new. I say deal with it or collect from a different company. I choose to be very selective with them.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #102
Seanrm
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I think it is acceptable to differentiate between well-established, iconic characters that have been depicted in various guises across the ages by different artists in printed form, in animated TV series or in movie adaptations and this, Death's General, whose only appearance so far has been on Sideshow's sale's pages.

If there are other examples of supposedly original, one-off characters, struggling to sell at 1K, that then reappear on a slightly different base 4 years later at a price similar (if not, less) than the original, I'd be interested to hear about them.

As for whining:
I'm just making what I consider to be a justifiable complaint.
I wasn't foolish enough to seriously think that it would come to anything, but I wanted to voice my concerns anyway.
I'm voting with my feet: have cancelled Death's Siren and will have a go at getting back my NRD for Kier, too.
Seanrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #103
Fremen
Birds of Prey

They did not make variants years ago to the degree they are doing it now.
I don't mind the odd one here and there but this is getting crazy.
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #104
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanrm View Post
I only apply this logic to supposedly "limited edition collectibles" that are then remade, re-branded and resold.

You can apply this wherever you like, but that's down to your own imagination - not mine.
Limited edition is an illusion in this hobby,it means nothing, the quicker u make peace with it the happier u will be,I stopped fighting this battle a long time ago. I remembwr when bowen started his faux bronze bullcrap,I sold all his pieces ans atoppes collecting his stuff there and there.If u have the fortitude to drop SS go for it,sooner or later your fav company will cabe in
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #105
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Limited edition is an illusion in this hobby,it means nothing, the quicker u make peace with it the happier u will be,I stopped fighting this battle a long time ago. I remembwr when bowen started his faux bronze bullcrap,I sold all his pieces ans atoppes collecting his stuff there and there.If u have the fortitude to drop SS go for it,sooner or later your fav company will cabe in
Can you flesh out this history a bit more us. I wasn't collecting back then, when from what I gather Bowen was the top dog in the statue realm but fell from grace along the way.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #106
wisnulie
Doh!

nice information
thanks all
wisnulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #107
Vader
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I don't think it was the faux bronzes. He ran out of material having had a single license for so many years. I mean how many ways can you sculpt Thor?
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #108
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
Can you flesh out this history a bit more us. I wasn't collecting back then, when from what I gather Bowen was the top dog in the statue realm but fell from grace along the way.
A few years back Bowen decided to re release some coveted pieces in A new paint scheme called faux bronze.I found it revolting at the time,but now in retrospective I was just being naive.Naive to think that these companies owe us something.

People keep saying that we need to talk with our wallets but very few follow through.I just dont care about the hobby as much as I used to hence I dont really care how many variants there are,I will find the cheapest avenue to acquire what I need amd consider it money spent,reselling it for returns are of no concern to me anymore.It is the only way to control this addiction.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #109
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
I don't think it was the faux bronzes. He ran out of material having had a single license for so many years. I mean how many ways can you sculpt Thor?
You are correct and he did wht is best for his business but not for his integrity of his products IMHO.The sanctity of limited edition numbers is holy only to the collector not the manufacturer it seems.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #110
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I bumped into a longer time Frazetta collector a few years back that was peeved about the death dealer bronze, that became the regular edition, that then became the miniature regular edition. Still I love my bronze DD, love it.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote