Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 07-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #6061
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Hi, SSAlex.With the recent announcement that sideshow are now making an Alien Queen maquette, I just want to ask, will it be a scaled down version of the Alien Queen with the hive sideshow shown a few years ago, or will it be something different?Cheers!
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #6062
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Hey Alex.

There's rumor Sideshow is moving toward digital sculpting. While currently the artist has the choice in how the PF is done, hand sculpting may be phased out.

1. Is this true?
2. Has this any bearing on the price increase of PFs?

While I realize print machines are expensive, I think by hand adds more character and soul to the PF therefore by hand should be more costly in addition to the time/labor hours spent.

By machine I would imagine its much less labor intensive and more PFs (diff characters) could be created in a shorter time. This lends way to coh and the like on exclusives.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #6063
SSAlex
Sideshow
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa_yodamorph View Post
Hi Alex,
A question about Legendary Scale Vader. Could you find out the length/depth from the tip of the force choke hand to the back of the base? Thank you!
Unfortunately this piece is all packed up for SDCC, so I won't be able to get an answer to this until after the show (more than likely sometime in August). Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empracollector View Post
Hi Alex just a question about the predator jungle hunter is there going to be any decals like the P2 maquette?im on the fence on ordering and would like to know before I pull the trigger...thank you
I won't have a final breakdown all how this piece will be painted until it's closer to shipping. So closer to October time frame is when I should have such info at the very earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oszito View Post
Hi Alex,
When will you pre-order the bust life size of bobba feet? Thanks.
That should be up for Pre-Order before the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardGameBuddha View Post
Hey @SSAlex, I totally could not get the Instagram After Party working, argh... They were showing Voltron, do you have a link to it or a Screen pic? I have been waiting for this and Blew It big time!

Thanks,
Sorry, that was another instagram live situation, so no video link or screen grab would exist. New photos of this piece should be up so very soon though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Alex, just a comment, would love to see the classic Universal Monsters get the Legendary Scale treatment!
Oh how I'd wish to see this as well! Sideshow doesn't have the license for Universal Monsters, so it would not be a possibility unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastballSpecial View Post
Hi Alex,

Is there any chance that we'll get a hint at what costume the new Wolverine PF is before SDCC? I want the Astonishing version more than anything!

Thanks as always !
Unfortunately there are no hints I can give for this piece. Y'all will just have to wait until preview night to see more pictures of everything we can't fully reveal during our online Comic-Con event. But we're only 12 days away from preview night, so coming up fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger176 View Post
Hi Alex,

I missed out on both versions of the Black Widow PF a few years ago. Any chance of revisiting her again, perhaps this time the comic version of her classic 70's or 80's costume (hairdo and all)? Heck, I'll even go for her 90's spidersuit version! Thanks for your time and answer.
I'm sure we'll revisit this character again in the future but as to what era such a piece would be I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
Hi Alex,

Any idea on when we'll see what the new Alien Queen Maquette will look like?
This piece is expected to be at SDCC, so baring any reason it wouldn't make it in time, that's when everyone should get their first look at her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
Hi, SSAlex.With the recent announcement that sideshow are now making an Alien Queen maquette, I just want to ask, will it be a scaled down version of the Alien Queen with the hive sideshow shown a few years ago, or will it be something different?Cheers!
This is entirely new and is not a scaled down version of the piece we teased many years ago that ended up never becoming a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Hey Alex.

There's rumor Sideshow is moving toward digital sculpting. While currently the artist has the choice in how the PF is done, hand sculpting may be phased out.

1. Is this true?
2. Has this any bearing on the price increase of PFs?

While I realize print machines are expensive, I think by hand adds more character and soul to the PF therefore by hand should be more costly in addition to the time/labor hours spent.

By machine I would imagine its much less labor intensive and more PFs (diff characters) could be created in a shorter time. This lends way to coh and the like on exclusives.
We moved to mostly digital sculpt a few years ago. That said, we do still have some projects that are done traditionally from time to time, so traditional is not totally being phased out.

Price increases are due to a variety of reasons but not solely or even close to going digital for projects that are made non-traditionally.

It's interesting the viewpoints that I see regarding digital vs traditional (not only for sculpt but 2D artwork as well). From comments that anyone can do XYZ digitally to it XYZ project loses it's soul somehow when done in digital vs traditional. Of course everyone is more than welcome to all those opinions and viewpoints but having seen all kinds of artists work in digital I see that the same talent and passion that goes into traditional has to very much be present when working digitally as well (their artist hands are still touching and manipulating the digital 'clay' in much the same way physical clay/sculpy/etc is). Sure, working digitally has its advantages, such as being able to make a change to the sculpt is easier, it can potentially be finished faster than traditional (depends on the artist) but the know how and heart of the artist has to be there in order to create these types of projects.

As for it being less labor intensive when working digitally, not necessarily true as all pieces outputted from the 3D printers need clean up and possible changes made in a traditional manner before it's sent off to further stages of creation (painting, Cut and Sew if applicable, etc).

And in regards to switch-outs, the more you have for a piece that will switch-out the larger the cost to manufacture. A digital sculpt, for example, isn't going to cause switch-out options to be cheaper.
SSAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #6064
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAlex View Post
We moved to mostly digital sculpt a few years ago. That said, we do still have some projects that are done traditionally from time to time, so traditional is not totally being phased out.

Price increases are due to a variety of reasons but not solely or even close to going digital for projects that are made non-traditionally.

It's interesting the viewpoints that I see regarding digital vs traditional (not only for sculpt but 2D artwork as well). From comments that anyone can do XYZ digitally to it XYZ project loses it's soul somehow when done in digital vs traditional. Of course everyone is more than welcome to all those opinions and viewpoints but having seen all kinds of artists work in digital I see that the same talent and passion that goes into traditional has to very much be present when working digitally as well (their artist hands are still touching and manipulating the digital 'clay' in much the same way physical clay/sculpy/etc is). Sure, working digitally has its advantages, such as being able to make a change to the sculpt is easier, it can potentially be finished faster than traditional (depends on the artist) but the know how and heart of the artist has to be there in order to create these types of projects.

As for it being less labor intensive when working digitally, not necessarily true as all pieces outputted from the 3D printers need clean up and possible changes made in a traditional manner before it's sent off to further stages of creation (painting, Cut and Sew if applicable, etc).

And in regards to switch-outs, the more you have for a piece that will switch-out the larger the cost to manufacture. A digital sculpt, for example, isn't going to cause switch-out options to be cheaper.
Couldn't agree more Alex!
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #6065
floreairfoot
Sinister Six

Hi Alex! Any chance we'll ever see the LSF Catwoman, or should I just let it go? I always bring it up before SDCC
floreairfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #6066
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Any Spidey Homecoming stuff coming?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #6067
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks Alex for the response, clarification and insight.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #6068
SSAlex
Sideshow
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by floreairfoot View Post
Hi Alex! Any chance we'll ever see the LSF Catwoman, or should I just let it go? I always bring it up before SDCC
There are no plans to pursue this project at this point in time. It COULD always end up being revisited in the future but as of now it's been put away with no development occurring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Any Spidey Homecoming stuff coming?
No plans for Spider-Man: Homecoming projects at this time. Could that change in the future? Possible of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Thanks Alex for the response, clarification and insight.
Of course! :-)
SSAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #6069
Falkor
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thanks Alex! And should SS get the monster rights again, a Legendary scale Lugosi on a staircase base carrying a candleabra would be such a gorgeous piece!
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #6070
BoardGameBuddha
Fantastic Four

Thanks as always Alex, can not wait to see him!
BoardGameBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote