Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
shinigami
A day without sunshine is like... night.

i am currently using an iwata hp-cs and badger renegade velocity. this will be the detail AB.
shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

i gave up on this brush LOOONG ago. While it was good, it gave me so many issues that i just went to iwata.

Seems you will spend more money on needles in the long run buying this brush then spending extra cash on a iwata that is much easier to clean and deal with.

I was going thru a needle almost every 3-4 paint ups, due to being very weak metal and having to brake it down every night to keep it clean.

Needles are like $13 if lucky and more like $16 common, plus shipping since no art store ever carried its parts.

In 2-3 years of owning it bought tons of needles, prob enough to buy 2 iwata brushes, 3 years of my iwatas, only replaced the needle once recently.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Andrew
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
i gave up on this brush LOOONG ago. While it was good, it gave me so many issues that i just went to iwata.

Seems you will spend more money on needles in the long run buying this brush then spending extra cash on a iwata that is much easier to clean and deal with.

I was going thru a needle almost every 3-4 paint ups, due to being very weak metal and having to brake it down every night to keep it clean.

Needles are like $13 if lucky and more like $16 common, plus shipping since no art store ever carried its parts.

In 2-3 years of owning it bought tons of needles, prob enough to buy 2 iwata brushes, 3 years of my iwatas, only replaced the needle once recently.
Would the warranty not cover an issue like that?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Would the warranty not cover an issue like that?
oh i sent it in so many times, it was at badger more then my table. Plus spending $5 to ship it everytime and since they they now charge you $6 to ship the items back, back then it was free.

and they don't cover bend needles if its your fault, they will clean and replace the plastic washer inside the brush if it wears out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I learned on an Iwata years ago. I've been using a Paasche for a long time now and never revisited the Iwata. The work I did back then was quite different as well, so I really don't have a good comparison. I really should pull out my old Iwata and see. Vince, have you ever used a Paasche? Any thoughts/opinions to share on how they compare to Iwata or Badger?
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounding View Post
I learned on an Iwata years ago. I've been using a Paasche for a long time now and never revisited the Iwata. The work I did back then was quite different as well, so I really don't have a good comparison. I really should pull out my old Iwata and see. Vince, have you ever used a Paasche? Any thoughts/opinions to share on how they compare to Iwata or Badger?

i had one where the cup was on the side, it spun up and spitting paint out the side. it was a complete cluster fook and went on ebay long time ago.

I have millennium that is only used for alclad chrome,. so other then that i never used others.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
dark_spidey
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I tried mine and it's fine.

Only problem is that it leaks a little at the tip of the airbrush and I have almost no control on the air flow which is weird. It's either little to no air or the max
dark_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
ComputerFly
The Phantom

You don't control the air pressure with the trigger, it's either on or off. That's the way it is supposed to be. The trigger controls paint flow. Adjust air pressure at the compressor.
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
dark_spidey
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
You don't control the air pressure with the trigger, it's either on or off. That's the way it is supposed to be. The trigger controls paint flow. Adjust air pressure at the compressor.
I guess it depends on the airbrush then. A friend of mine has a H&S Infinity and he can control the air flow with the trigger.

But thanks at least I know it's not an issue on mine
dark_spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Jesse321
Galactus

It doesn't depend on the airbrush, it depends on the person. What you're talking about is a double action airbrush, which are made by every brand of airbrush on the market. A double action airbrush means you push down on the trigger for air and back for paint flow, but the trigger only pushes down a few millimeters at best, and to be perfectly honest, you only have the most minute amount of air-control by using the trigger control exclusively.

It takes literally YEARS of practice to even come close to acquiring the fine motor control needed to learn airflow control like that ... and even then not everyone learns how to do it correctly. It's like saying anyone can be a surgeon, not everyone can, as a matter of fact, very few people can ... most people simply don't have the hand eye coordination combined with the fine motor control needed to do it. It far easier to use your pressure gauge and manipulate the airflow at that stage than to use the trigger, that's why pressure gauges were invented.

And BTW, I have 4 Badger Sotars ... I got them from taking various paint classes over the years, they're all gathering dust on a rack in my workshop. There's a Cuban saying ... "el barato siempre termina caro" ... which means "the cheap always ends expensive" ... there's a reason these brushes are being pawned off at bargain basement prices, cause they're not worth it, even at those prices, Badger puts our way better brushes than this model.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote