Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 PM   #111
Brandon
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I?ve actually kind of cooled on my Doctor Strange bust, more so than the others I?ve received. Something about the likeness is just throwing me off over time. Probably just in my head, but it?s usually the opposite feeling for me, where I tend to get used to any deficiencies over time.

And with regards to silicone, I?m pretty sure the Hulk will have significantly more of the material involved. There might be enough coverage on just its two arms to exceed the amount of silicone used on Doctor Strange?s entire head. Just look at the size of that hand. During the articulation video, it looked like it was handshake between similar sized individuals. And then, we have all the silicone left from the chest, head and legs to spare. But it does loose in terms of the sheer amount of punched hair and the fabrics.

Queen pieces are usually a solid core wrapped in an outer layer of silicone. Which contrasts with JND, where their pieces tend to be floppy, due to them being almost solid silicone. However given the flex/articulation, the usual solid inner core probably isn?t there, and I?m assuming it only has a skeletal frame along certain areas like the arms, in order to have it bend, which means the arms could very well be almost solid silicone (or at least a lot more than Queen?s normal usage).

But all these Queen pieces I?ve ordered from Queen are all probably a little over priced to a certain extent. As long as we?re satisfied with what we paid for it, I?m sort of fine with it, though obviously I still wish they were priced lower.

EDIT: And after just receiving that JND Wonder Woman piece a couple days ago, it definitely helped me justify, internal, spending that kind of money. That JND was I think $3,200 USD, but retailers were I believe requested by JND to have it priced above $3,800 or more. So, for a bit more, I get an enormous hulk of a figure which will complete dwarf that Wonder Woman.
Yeah, after looking back at the reveal pics, I can see there's more silicone usage on this piece.

I still think there's a good bit of gouging involved in the pricing, after all, this is by far the best MCU Hulk on the market. This will be the first and last Hulk statue in my collection, so that does make it easier to justify personally.

Speaking of JND's WW, one of things I wanted to find out in your review, was if you thought it was worth the price of admission. When I ordered it, I knew it was over priced but with it being Gal Gadot in her classic costume, I felt I would be satisfied. Mine has arrived yet, so until then I'm living vicariously through others who have received theirs.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 PM   #112
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
For sure. 100%. I'll admit I sounded hypocritical when I wrote that. And the crazy thing is, I've also complained about this in the past in a few JND threads.

Honestly, I've done quite a bit of thinking about this topic over the past few years, and the conclusion I've come to is that these price hikes (read: gouging) will NOT continue indefinitely. Someone, somewhere, will see an opportunity to undercut these big companies, and by doing so, they'll sort of "reset" the market.

Take the automotive industry for example. After Covid and the supply chain issues ended, instead of cutting prices, many American manufacturers decided to produce less vehicles in order to artificially keep the supply low and the demand high, allowing them to continue charging their high prices (sound familiar?). Much like the statue market, people complain but they still buy them. But now, Chinese auto manufacturers are on the verge of entering the US market, and if they can successfully deliver quality cars for the extremely low prices they're rumored to charge, it will have a significant ripple effect. American automakers will have to drop their prices in order to compete.

I believe the same will happen with the statue market.... Eventually...

All it takes is one company making the decision to deliver a comparable product for considerably less to "reset" the market. Look at Tesla. They saw how expensive other EVs were becoming, along with the down trending economy, so they cut prices on their vehicles by a considerable amount to stay ahead of the competition. And as a result, the rest of the EV market toppled because of it.

This is just my analysis. I could be totally wrong about this. But hell, if this doesn't come to fruition in the next year or so, I might throw my hat in the ring, start a company and give it a try myself.
I started collecting over a decade ago, and you know what. They were saying the same exact things back then. So in essence nothing has changed. Prices have continually increased (as well as quality and options), edition sizes have decreased, and yet it still goes on.

I’m not sure we’ll see a reset. If anything I could see it complete implode and completely die off, before any companies are willing to substantially cut prices. Anyone who still wishes to collect, will have to move over to the 1/6 posable figures. Even though they can whine as much as statue collectors about pricing, their side of the hobby, is far more healthy and numerous in numbers.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:34 PM   #113
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Yeah, after looking back at the reveal pics, I can see there's more silicone usage on this piece.

I still think there's a good bit of gouging involved in the pricing, after all, this is by far the best MCU Hulk on the market. This will be the first and last Hulk statue in my collection, so that does make it easier to justify personally.

Speaking of JND's WW, one of things I wanted to find out in your review, was if you thought it was worth the price of admission. When I ordered it, I knew it was over priced but with it being Gal Gadot in her classic costume, I felt I would be satisfied. Mine has arrived yet, so until then I'm living vicariously through others who have received theirs.
I’ll probably write up my impressions/review over the weekend. I won’t be taking photos this time, as there are plenty already available, as well as the numerous YouTube reviews.

If anything I’ll be mentioning a lot of nitpicks, and issues I had with it. Most are able to be completely self-rectified, but still annoying. Though I think I’m more annoyed that these points weren’t mentioned by anyone else, as I can’t see that I’m the only one to have encountered them. But at the end of the day I’m glad I got it.

But with regards to price, only you can determine if it’s worth it. As I mentioned previously, I’m already numb to these $4K price points.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:43 PM   #114
Brandon
The X-Men

On FB, I'm seeing a lot of pushback over the pricing for this. Even the collectors with deeper pockets are saying no to this. Curious to see QS's response.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:45 PM   #115
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Let's be honest with ourselves.

If we are shopping with Queen Studios, JND, Infinity and to some greater extent - Blitzway (Prime1) - then we really shouldn't be complaining about prices.

We've literally walked into to the Bentley showroom equivalent of the statue world....this is, whether you want to believe it or not, the elite of statue products......you're damn right it's expensive. I read the comments (mine included) - and it's all the usual suspects, who have spent multiple thousands on statues (guys, for examle, I bought 2 of the JND WW JL pieces).....and we've got the audacity to complain that these are too expensive!

There are statue companies producing cheaper statues - are they the same quality? Of course not....and don't pretend they are. We've obviously got the money, and want this level of detail, that's why we're here and not shopping at Diamond Select....

So, there's one question we need to ask ourselves - do we want this piece or not? If yes, then pony up the green and smile....if not, then, the price is a redundant consideration, because no one with any lick of sense will spend $1 on something they don't want - let alone $4500+

Maybe it's time to start using this thread to enjoy and discuss the statue itself - and forget the price.....it is what it is.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:57 PM   #116
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Maybe it's time to start using this thread to enjoy and discuss the statue itself - and forget the price.....it is what it is.
Discussing the artistic merits of a piece regardless of cost? Madness I say! We all love to bemoan these ever-rising prices, it's part of our coping mechanism
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:20 AM   #117
azurepred
Zot

I don't know how much cheaper one would be, but my hope is the more I whine about it, maybe they will make a translucent version of this for a much cheaper price. Wishful thinking sure, but I don't see many saying they will order this. They could have just as easily lowered the price and made 1000 units and it would sell out much easier.

I would be at least curious to know why they would rather make the price so insanely high and make less, rather than the other way around. $5k is approaching full 1:1 statue status. Hell, 5-10 years ago, they probably were that price. I mean, they must know the economy with statues is still absolute trash. Sure, a sexy WW silicone statue sold well at crazy high prices, but are there any other examples out there to say the market will pay $5k for a Hulk?
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:51 AM   #118
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
It's definitely a extreme risk as a collector. I once asked a 1:1 movie prop maker if he could make the mouth posable for a bust i wanted, but he said the material would crack over time. We haven't even seen if the jnd joker can hold up to the stress. $5k is just too damn much to even consider it. They should've made 2 or even 3 versions of this.

Yea, for that price its kinda risky.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:54 AM   #119
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I don't know how much cheaper one would be, but my hope is the more I whine about it, maybe they will make a translucent version of this for a much cheaper price. Wishful thinking sure, but I don't see many saying they will order this. They could have just as easily lowered the price and made 1000 units and it would sell out much easier.

I would be at least curious to know why they would rather make the price so insanely high and make less, rather than the other way around. $5k is approaching full 1:1 statue status. Hell, 5-10 years ago, they probably were that price. I mean, they must know the economy with statues is still absolute trash. Sure, a sexy WW silicone statue sold well at crazy high prices, but are there any other examples out there to say the market will pay $5k for a Hulk?

More like $15-20k if we are talking about Queen and life-size . I am curious how well their 1:1 TDK pieces are doing in terms of sales.

These companies are just going to price themselves out of the market or close up shop one day (without warning )and take the PO money with them.

Someone brought up the Auto Companies and how they artificially increased demand. My understanding is that pretty much backfired and customers ( especially truck buyers) are pissed and the dealerships are hurting.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 01:00 AM   #120
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Well other than me, maybe no one else will actually preorder the piece, and they’ll end up cancelling the piece.

Collectors here also complained about the price for the 1/3 Mark 7. So I wonder how many actually preordered it?