Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 07-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
wcazian
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

anyone using liquitex?

I have been searching for the right blue for one of my kits and came across some liquitex paints at michaels art supply. I think it's a quality paint w/ lots of pigment, but it seems really thick, not what I'm accustomed to using. they also sell a liquitex airbrush thinner to thin it down but it's pretty expensive. any other options to use as a thinner? straight water?
wcazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Jesse321
Galactus

I use Liquitex all the time. You can mix the thinner with water in a 50/50 ratio and it doubles it's use. Believe it or not, you can also use Windex as thinner.

One suggestion I would offer, is to buy a color wheel and start learning how to mix your own colors. I've rarely found pre-mixed colors that work right out of the bottle (unless they're Freestyle or Vallejo). 90% of the time I've always had to mix them up to get the hue or shade of a particular color I've wanted.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

me too jesse! glad im not alone. is the thinner the same as the liquitex airbrush medium? thats what i use.
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Jesse321
Galactus

I think so.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
fenix v.2.0
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

i was told to use alcohol instead of water. My AB kept getting clogged with little fibers of paint, the AB tech at the store i goto said it's because of the water tends to seperate the pigment.
fenix v.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Jesse321
Galactus

Windex!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
fenix v.2.0
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Windex!
yea, i think that is what i am going to stick to. Alcohol has better purposes
fenix v.2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Bit of advice, with liquitex if you mix colors in a bottle and save it for a later use. Make sure you add some rubbing alcohol, like 2-3 drops.

Cause it will get mold in it. Like if it sat for a month or so you will open it up and will be a new form of life inside the bottle. Some people would store their paints in the fridge and others would feeze them etc... Many types of ways to thin and keep the paint going but so far i still have some tubes of colors i mixed in college back in 1995 still fresh with rubbing alcohol in them.

Windex is ok short term but found out in college it brakes down the color pigments over time in storage and things get spotty.

Some of the cheaper no name paints will grow plant life in that crap using just tap water LOL.

I used to use camera film little black cases to mix my paints but since they are not used anymore. I buy up nice plastic tube cases at pearl, that are nice and air tight. Plus paint wont stick to them when dried up and clean up very well.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
invaderkat
Frackin!

You know, on the subject of getting your airbrush clogged up i recommend straining it, you can either use a regular funnel and glue some screen on it (u know, like a window screen) or use panty hose. Then to keep mixing the paint up inside the airbrush i put my finger at the end of the airbrush, two around if you dont have that protective cap on cuz u don't want to inject the needle into your finger or bend it, and press down letting the cup bubble. It gets rid of simple clogs sometimes and its just good to mix. And always make sure the paint you put in there is thin enough, it always helps to mix in a little water (pending on what your using, but it should look like 2% milk or somethin).

I just use water on my liquitex and mix it. Thats some good advice though up there. Wow... i just wrote alot.
invaderkat is offline   Reply With Quote