Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Enron Verdict

Well I, for one, am glad to see this. Lay and Skilling may never again see life outside of prison walls. While the employees will never see their billions of dollars in retirement savings that went down the toilet when the stock crashed and burned, I think this accomplishes two important things:

1. Punishment. These two should be punished for their crimes.

2. Send a clear message. CEOs and company board members, do NOT put yourselves before your employees or stockholders. Look at what should happen.

Justice, for what could and should have been done, was served.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/26/bu...th&oref=slogin

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/26/bu...html?th&emc=th
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

If you ask me, they haven't gone far enough. I'm not sure if it's legal, and it certainly isn't enough to cover everyone who lost their savings, but ALL of the execs who lied about this should be fined SEVERELY, and those funds should be doled out among the employees who lost their lifes savings.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

While the verdict is in, sentencing happens on 9/11/07. Galactus, I agree with you and was thinking about that this morning. I think all their holdings, accounts, and assets should be stripped from them and dolled out to all the employees and shareholders who lost their Enron assets/savings. It may end up being insignificant when spread over that large pool but it still would be justice. Then the feds should go after the rest of the Enron scum from the executive suites who played a part in this fiasco.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #4
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
While the verdict is in, sentencing happens on 9/11/07. Galactus, I agree with you and was thinking about that this morning. I think all their holdings, accounts, and assets should be stripped from them and dolled out to all the employees and shareholders who lost their Enron assets/savings. It may end up being insignificant when spread over that large pool but it still would be justice. Then the feds should go after the rest of the Enron scum from the executive suites who played a part in this fiasco.
Here, here...

that is what I have thought should happen from the beginning...

strip ALL of their assets and reassign them to be divided between employees and stockholders.

Not only the two involved, but any others who profited from the whole debacle...that is a shameful crime...

how soon will we see the appeals begin?
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
cblakey1
Cyclops

Unfortunately, only Skilling will see jail time. Kenny Boy will tie it up in appeals long enough for the idiot prez's term to expire where he will receive a full pardon... unless they are bold enough to pardon him sooner - which I wouldn't put past 'em.

The funny thing is, he wrote US energy policy w/ Crashcart Cheney. Where's his indictment?
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
Babytoxie
Ghost

Has anyone seen Enron - The Smartest Guys in the Room? While it left me with some more questions, it did do a lot to clear things up. Great movie.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Shangrilien
Doh!

I saw this movie. Learned a lot things, was shocked by others (the "@sshole comment", those phone calls about who to use California to make money). Nonetheless, I absolutely cannot understand how only 2 people are being judged for that. Are all the others executives kinda protected ?
Shangrilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #8
daveyyojimbo
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
If you ask me, they haven't gone far enough. I'm not sure if it's legal, and it certainly isn't enough to cover everyone who lost their savings, but ALL of the execs who lied about this should be fined SEVERELY, and those funds should be doled out among the employees who lost their lifes savings.
Amen!!!
daveyyojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

I foresee many appeals. Ken Lay while he's waiting to be sentenced is going to remain a FREE MAN. Sentencing on 9-11, of 2007??? You have got to be kidding me. If they can sentence a guy who steals a loaf of bread in a month, then By GOD they should be able to sentence someone in this trial AFTER 5 YEARS, within a month as well.

This is obscene. If it were anyone else, you'd have the swift hand of justice. This proves without a doubt, that there are two sets of laws on the books. One for them, and one for the rest.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Tommy Allison
Sculptor
Sculptor

Also, I recommend the movie "Fun With **** And Jane". It's fun, but you gotta see the credits.

Check Out My Blog at....

http://madrobotstudios.blogspot.com

My portfolio is...

http://www.comicspace.com/madrobotommy
Tommy Allison is offline   Reply With Quote