Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #31
Dusty_Lane
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Impressive, although the IKEA website states: Max load/shelf: 8 lb
I've seen this meme a few times, and it makes me mad every time I see it. Just because it's holding 70 lbs. for as long as it took to take that picture doesn't mean that the shelf wouldn't give over a period time. Detolf cabinets are fine for Hot Toy figures and lightweight PVC statues, but I wouldn't dare put any ceramics on the top three shelves. The glass is a very thin.
Dusty_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #32
Atimantium
Hydra

I have had my collection like this for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	104647  
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #33
Agoniste
U talkin' to me?

I stacked the glasses in most of my detolf cases, so far so good! Put I don't put heavier statues in them... grommash must weight 25-30 pounds..no way I'm putting it on the glass shelves.
Agoniste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #34
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Lane View Post
I've seen this meme a few times, and it makes me mad every time I see it. Just because it's holding 70 lbs. for as long as it took to take that picture doesn't mean that the shelf wouldn't give over a period time. Detolf cabinets are fine for Hot Toy figures and lightweight PVC statues, but I wouldn't dare put any ceramics on the top three shelves. The glass is a very thin.
I am the one that did the detolf weights experiment. That 70 pounds was on that single standard detolf shelf for over a year before I upped the weight to 80 for 6 months. Then 90 for several months before my wife repurposed the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
I have had my collection like this for years.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #35
LetMeSee
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
Quote:

The metal clamps are Saddle Clamps size M6. They can be found online (Amazon, ebay etc.) You will need 4 per shelf.
I went for Stainless Steel (likes those in the image) as they look more polished than some of the rougher clamps on offer.
If you have a large wallet, some companies offer chrome saddle clamps.

Each clamps comes with 2 bolts. I found the need to buy extra bolts, as 2 bolts are required to tighten the clamp. The other 2 bolts cam be added to give the glass shelf something to sit on.

To replace the glass, simply take one of the shelfs that come with the unit to your local glass cutter, and ask them to copy the size, using thicker glass, and tell then what the glass is for, and make sure they polish the edges.

One final thing. I found it impossible to set the height of all 4 saddle clamps identically. The glass shelf would rock slightly.
To take up any slack, and add a cushion effect, i found some round stick-on sponge pads, and placed one in each corner. I found these in a local store.

-

I'm thinking about how-to make a frame for the front to block out dust.
Thanks to both of you!
LetMeSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #36
ukshaun
Hercules

Today I decided to dust proof 2 of my IKEA Detolf unit‘s. It has been on my to-do-list ever since picking up my first unit (I currently own a total of 5) and discovering that there is a 5mm gap around the edge of the glass door that lets in a small amount of air, leading to dust build up, which no collector wants.

Having watched various videos on YouTube tackling the problem, which included, rubber strips, foam strips, synthetic fibre strips, I decided to pick up a 10 meter roll of 9mm x 9mm grey self adhesive synthetic fibre strip (weather strip). This was enough to do 2x Detolf units, with some leftover’s.

The grey color of the synthetic fibre strip blends in well, and isn't all that noticeable.

The process is quite straight forward:
1. Remove glass door
2. Clean glass
3. Stick one strip from top to bottom on the left side and repeat on the right side of the unit
4. Stick one strip from left to right at the top and bottom of the unit
5. Attached glass door

I have discovered one small problem. The magnets that hold the glass door closed, are not strong enough to hold the door closed, as the door now pushes tight against the synthetic fibre strips. As a temporary measure, I’ve used 2 pieces of clear tape. One idea have thought of, is adding 2 fabric straps around the unit, that could be placed at the same height as the shelves.

ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #37
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Today I decided to dust proof 2 of my IKEA Detolf unit‘s. It has been on my to-do-list ever since picking up my first unit (I currently own a total of 5) and discovering that there is a 5mm gap around the edge of the glass door that lets in a small amount of air, leading to dust build up, which no collector wants.
nice work, i always wanted to do something similar when i had detolfs but never got around to it. i may borrow your weatherstrip idea when i go to do my custom cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilio93 View Post
So exactly what display would you suggest for a new collector, would carpet be okay, and truly what kind of weight and reinforcement is needed for these statues.
well if you want something thats going to display several large scale statues and be dust proof youre going to spend more than $500. all of the pieces you listed cost more than $500 so i dont think you should skimp on the cabinet, its just as important as what youre displaying imo

ikea is the easiest route, they have several cabinets varying in size you can get with and/or customize with glass doors. a lot of people go with the pax, it is the largest but requires modification (doors, reinforcing shelves). detolfs are on the small end and very economical but also require modification for large statues (if they fit) by reinforcing the shelf weld points with additional brackets if you want to play it safe

or you can go custom route which could be just about anything (build from scratch / modify existing shelf or cabinet)
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #38
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
So exactly what display would you suggest for a new collector, would carpet be okay, and truly what kind of weight and reinforcement is needed for these statues.

I want to put things such as the Iron Giant, Arthas, The new joker coming in, Deadpool Heatseeker, Venom Premium Format, etc. into this display but I'm EXTREMELY SCARED of the glass breaking like in that nightmarish photo recently posted.

They're currently just sitting out and collect dust DAILY in a home filled with shedding dogs (I vaccuum daily and dust the house / air spray the pieces daily) and it has become a ton of work...

Also any suggestions for a display case for the Hot Toys Delorean? I can't find anything it will fit in that is cheaper than $500. ANY cover or display case at all?

I don't have a huge budget and want to be efficient.
We had a similar discussion over in this thread, so check that out... there could be some helpful gems there.

If you're in the US, Moducase is getting a CA distributor to make shipping costs more affordable. That could be another route to research and consider.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #39
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:

I want to put things such as the Iron Giant, Arthas, The new joker coming in, Deadpool Heatseeker, Venom Premium Format, etc. into this display but I'm EXTREMELY SCARED of the glass breaking like in that nightmarish photo recently posted.

They're currently just sitting out and collect dust DAILY in a home filled with shedding dogs (I vaccuum daily and dust the house / air spray the pieces daily) and it has become a ton of work...

Also any suggestions for a display case for the Hot Toys Delorean? I can't find anything it will fit in that is cheaper than $500. ANY cover or display case at all?

I don't have a huge budget and want to be efficient.
Glass cases and shelves might look nice for displaying statues, but I would never use them.
Also, unless your statues are in a room where the pets aren't allowed to go, glass cases/shelves are definitely a disaster waiting to happen.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #40
eternalblue02
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Do not put SS Lich King in a glass case unless it's custom with thick shelves. He's heavy as all hell. I've got mine in a Besta atm and will be transferring him to a Pax. That is one statue you do not want taking a tumble concidering the after market prices and QC issues some have.
eternalblue02 is offline   Reply With Quote