Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #201
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
Well said, I also think they gotta use some translucent resin to make this piece stand out and it deserve it. I'm also hoping XM is going to up their game and work on a more realistic skin tone. I'm going to post this image below and get this party started. Portrait ain't as good as I would like but the rest looks pretty well done. I do like the skin tone, the hair and the bruises on this piece. Hell I'm wondering if the veins have that bluish hue to it.

Just to reiterate, skin tones has not been an XM problem. Some of the characters haven't been as detailed but that is a conscious company decision...not a lack of skill decision. Also, keep in mind XM does as much as the factory can replicate.

I've brought more details up to XM (Star Wars for instance) and the limitations of factory paint ups (super details) is one of the reasons. Once again, these are not based on realisitc people (Wolverine for instance), so their comic based paint apps where applicable are fine.

I do agree with wanting more details that are more oversight than anything else (Black Cat hair, freckles and grime on little Anakin, etc.) However, it needs to be said that XM has great details on some of their characters where it is warranted (Punisher scrapes and bruises on portrait, Vulture wrinkles and pores on portraits, etc.)

I do think this Weapon X will see even more improvement in that realistic skin and department that some including myself would like to see....I know that XM is putting extra oomph to this piece and it will be a showcase piece for them at STGCC.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #202
NinNin
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I do think this Weapon X will see even more improvement in that realistic skin and department that some including myself would like to see....I know that XM is putting extra oomph to this piece and it will be a showcase piece for them at STGCC.
Can't wait to make the trip and see it in person. Hopefully I can preorder one. I wonder if it will be their new event exclusive. It's either this or their brown version for the Wolverine spot in my collection. I have a feeling this will win out.
NinNin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #203
Vince_be
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Just hope this will not be a Con EX...
Vince_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #204
kolektan

Quote:
Portraits I agree WAS XM's biggest weakness...but skin detail and tone never was. Some of the characters had a rather pasty look (see Thor) to the skin, but there are lots of tones that make up the skin. Not to mention, from what I have seen, XM does a hell of a job on veins on their statues. Wolverine, Thor for example were just amazing. Slight blue hue that made it very realistic. Some characters have much more texture on their skin than others like Magneto, Vulture, and Mysterio portrait for instance.

It's more a style decision than an inability to do it...because they clearly can.

However, I do agree that more texturing should be done on the skin to give it an even more realistic effect. It is important to know that XM leans more to the comic side than SS or Prime 1's realistic style. But it's not like translucent resin doesn't have its snags either.
can you enlighten me what the snags are?
is it a major setback from the media that XM currently use?

judging from the digital render, clearly daniel bel was aiming for a more realistic approach of this character. just look at all that body hair sculpt, all that veins and pores, all that skin creases. XM has a lot of expectations to meet.
kolektan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #205
KELPIE
New Republic

Translucent resin is rubbish in my opinion... there, I said it.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 AM   #206
Killer Instinct
Death is hereditary.

Killer Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #207
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
Oh my god, is that printed?! That is freaking incredible!

Edit: Apparently this picture has been around for a while. I'm not sure how I missed it before!
It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #208
FJC
Midnighter

Love that the hair on his body is actually sculpted in. It looks fantastic.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #209
kolektan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
why?
kolektan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #210
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
My 1/3 ECC Hulk would disagree with you.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote