Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think if they put Darth Talon up for $1000, there would have been some combination of laughter and outrage.

That's the funny thing about collectibles; values are completely subjective and often determined by group-think. So it's really hard to know where the ceiling is for retail because it depends on what perception PFs have to the general collector base. My guess is, the recent jump in prices may be Sideshow attempting to gauge the ceiling for their PF line, and they're smartly using characters like Batman, Spidey and Wolverine to do it.
i would also say that value is greatly influenced by availability, in addition. Its okay if you charge very high prices for very few items. That'll make them collectibles (oho!) But charging very high prices for very many items, with the potential of even more variants in the future? SSC is filling its coffers but I think this strategy is killing the secondary market.

You bought a legendary scale figure for £1,500? Who's ever going to take it off you at that price if SSC still has dozens of it available on its website months or even years later?

Now if there were only a handful of the same item. People who don't even like the thing would pay above retail for it, simply because if it goes they might not see it again... As for those who really want it? Just not be unlucky enough to be caught in a bidding war with them.

Whenever a Doom with Chalice shows up on eBay, everyone is whipped into a frenzy.

Et cetera
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I think if they put Darth Talon up for $1000, there would have been some combination of laughter and outrage.

That's the funny thing about collectibles; values are completely subjective and often determined by group-think. So it's really hard to know where the ceiling is for retail because it depends on what perception PFs have to the general collector base. My guess is, the recent jump in prices may be Sideshow attempting to gauge the ceiling for their PF line, and they're smartly using characters like Batman, Spidey and Wolverine to do it.
I still think it's funny that Darth Talon goes for so much. Both Shaak Ti and Aayla are better statues to me. But I guess people hear grail and think they need Darth Talon.

If Sideshow is testing things and it's not purely based on price increases in China and US. Then they aren't doing the best job making the best versions of those characters. So far Wolverine and Spider-Man aren't $500 retail for me.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
scoobysnax
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

it's too much already especially considering conversion rates.

I know I have skipped on quite a few that I would have jumped on at the older prices.
scoobysnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
mistermark
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I still think it's funny that Darth Talon goes for so much. Both Shaak Ti and Aayla are better statues to me. But I guess people hear grail and think they need Darth Talon.

If Sideshow is testing things and it's not purely based on price increases in China and US. Then they aren't doing the best job making the best versions of those characters. So far Wolverine and Spider-Man aren't $500 retail for me.
Both the new Spidey and Wolverine PFs are major flops in the fans eyes. Sideshow is also asking a fortune for them. Not sure when the price increases will stop.
mistermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
Vracula
Jedi Order

It is definitely at critical levels.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
One price. I'm curious what's the no more point for collectors for the average Premium Format. I remember when the Honey Trap characters were priced. Most thought it was crazy. Still do. I think only Whisper might be worth it.

With Sideshow now just about over $500 with shipping and taxes. It won't be long till they are at $600. Whisper is $669 retail for those that don't follow that line.

I could see myself accepting these prices for my favorite character only. The best representation of them. A sculpt and version that arrives flawless. With little chance of a future version being better. But anything else and $500+ is too much. I started a thread about getting more Spider-Man dioramas. The old Spider-Man vs Hulk diorama was $300 back in the day. That's a fantastic piece and $300 seems like a steal now...
I buy a lot of replica weapons and the prices on those pieces are far more expensive than Sideshow's Premium Format statues so maybe that is the reason I have been unfazed by the recent price increases. If the prices continue to go up and surpass the $500 range, then I can see taking a more vested interest in this topic. As is, the recent price adjustments can be countered by simply buying one less statue a year. thus far, its just not a big concern for me, as long as the statues I am getting are worth the price.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #17
vorpoll
Shadowhawk

The price has exceed the value already. The high ES, lacking qc and the increased variants make all seem watered down. There are pieces here and there that remind of the better days but overall I have sent more back in the last year than I kept.
vorpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
Morgul Steve
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I buy a lot of replica weapons and the prices on those pieces are far more expensive than Sideshow's Premium Format statues so maybe that is the reason I have been unfazed by the recent price increases. If the prices continue to go up and surpass the $500 range, then I can see taking a more vested interest in this topic. As is, the recent price adjustments can be countered by simply buying one less statue a year. thus far, its just not a big concern for me, as long as the statues I am getting are worth the price.
What kind of replica weapons? Swords? Guns? or are you talking about movie props? Just curious.
I have a nice collection of swords, mostly Lord of the Rings.
Morgul Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Anything over 400.00 is way over for a PF. The right price is 350.00 in my opinion. Even at 375.00 it's pushing it. But still ok if the statue has tons of extra parts and details like lobo. Statues like black widow, spider man, wolverine, cat woman, power girl, batgirl, all is just normal PF with nothing extra to push the prices so high.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

It's too much now. To be honest they're kind of pushing me away. It's at the point where they are so close in price to higher quality collectibles it makes me want to just drop a few extra hundred for stuff like the new batman from prime 1.

It would be a different story of they were on point with the qc 100% of the time, but that's not the case at all. For some reason though, people keep buying up everything they put out, so they have no reason to change what they're doing.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote