Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #111
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
wow $330, and there is no material? Not liking the price increase, must be the license costs.

Any pics of the "new costume"? Can't say I am thrilled about that either.

The reason the SF line is going so well because of the classic costumes, I really hate when companies change something that will already do well

After looking at a larger pic, cool pose, but not liking the costume at all, as of right now I will be passing, which is a shame.

I didn't like Guile at first either, so my mind may change, but doubt it especially at the price point....the time of $250 statues are gone
First of all, the reason why SF is doing so well is NOT because of the costumes...because the costumes are boring.....BUT IT IS THE POPULARITY OF THE CHARACTERS....do i need to type this again???????

ITs THE CHARACTERS, NOT the costumes...SF characters have some really boring costumes with the exception of a few that are pretty nice...like guile, chun-li, T-Hawk.

Secondly, Guile was 300+ dollars, actually about the same price as this Scorpion...and furthermore, the Scorpion is bigger overall....has a phenomenal and intricate base, and costs the same! WTH Spazzy?

Now if you dont like the character in general, fine...but the cost is a relatively weak excuse when trying to compare MK prices to SF prices. And Jerry already stated that the cost of mixed media as opposed to fully sculpted statues are negligible at best.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #112
Zangief
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
On the design end of things....gameplay has always been lacking in comparison to other fighters though.
Zangief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #113
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
pose could have been better, and not a fan of the costume (new age as expected) NRS logo pose would have been much better and more stoic, plus easier to see details. Ill wait a bit but i dont think ill get into this MK line, even though I love MK
How is that and Jerry sculpted this right off the photo of Scorpion off the cover of the game. This is much like the Hulk Comiquette scenario from SS that others were moaning about.

But I stand by this today....the Hulk Comiquette blows the Hulk PF to me out of the water....even though it still is not the perfect Hulk rendition. Hulk captures the essence of the character as hes landing from a 3 miles jump. The same with Scorpion...hes throwing his spear and that is whats most recognizable about that character.

You also need to take into account subject matter along with the license and characters that make up the license (that was redundant). For instance,

MOTU = Stoic museum type poses as it fits well with current and past toy releases from Mattel. There are only a few characters that might be done in an action pose and thats He-man especially because he is most iconic if he holds sword up to the sky or when he holds the sword at each end.

MK = Action type poses that best represent each character. I mean really, I can't picture Sub-Zero as a statue with his hands on his hips standing upright...doesnt make sense. BUT, Sub-Zero raring back with his hands forming an ice ball projectile makes perfect sense....and gives the statue and the character life and excitement.

Not saying museum statues should not be done, but in this instance, it doesnt work. MK = action all the way. If you want museum....send lots of letters to Bowen to get the license to do MK. He would knock out all your wet fantasies about stoic museum poses for MK characters.

Heck, even SF statues that Jerry does have something that represents what the character does in the game. And even though they are closer to museum poses than the Scorpion pose, they are doing something they do from the game.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #114
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhaha69 View Post
I think your bad taste made the emoticon vomit. I'll see if my sister has some ken and barbie clothes we can send you to put on the statue.

Seriously, though...I rarely find mixed media do any justice to statues.....it happens occasionally, but the more detailed the costume, the cheaper it looks to me. Much prefer seeing someone sculpt everything from top to bottom.

I only wish the SF line was fully sculpted, too.
The SF line would be very, very dull to me if it was fully sculpted. A fine mixture of both is the best way to go. The acutal SF statue is sculpted. Its just the clothes are material. Whats the difference between sculpted clothes and material clothes?

Absolutely nothing in my book and this is a highly overused and overrated argument to me. Whats more, at least you can remove or change the look somewhat to mixed media....NOT SO WITH Sculpts.

Once a sculpt is done, its done. I can at least pose Ken and Ryus belts different ways.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #115
loricstone
Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureShock View Post
The 23" is a mistake. He is 1/4 scale.

I think the 23" comes from the original design which had him standing straight up on an elaborate base.

I think he is about 16" in the pose he is in.
So combined with the base its about 19" or so? Even so, its about the same size as SF statues and the price is relatively the same. Win win in my book.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #116
loricstone
Kang

[QUOTE=Spazzy;3882070]I don't play video games anymore, so the classics are what interests me, unfortunately this is not looking good for me. Oh well, commissions are getting just as affordable as buying a licensed piece nowadays, so may end up going that route one day, I only want a few characters Scorpion, and Sub Zero, reptile, of course in museum poses.[/QUOTE]

Since when??????? Maybe you mean in 1/8 scale size or something. Hell it costs $100 to repaint a statue. Let me know where I can do comissions (high quality) for about $300. PLEASEEEE!!!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #117
loricstone
Kang

I'm wasn't being a smart ass either Spazzy...I'm serious! Man, I would comission a true, real, correct, more realistic She-Hulk than the one that SS has done already! She is nice, but not the best pose and look for her. She needs to be a huge voluptuous but big powerhouse of a woman that would give everyone pause when they saw her.

Everyone should be like Dwwaaaammmmmm!!!!!
As she is now, shes like, meh, she's a pretty skinny green woman. Meh!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #118
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
First of all, the reason why SF is doing so well is NOT because of the costumes...because the costumes are boring.....BUT IT IS THE POPULARITY OF THE CHARACTERS....do i need to type this again???????

ITs THE CHARACTERS, NOT the costumes...SF characters have some really boring costumes with the exception of a few that are pretty nice...like guile, chun-li, T-Hawk.

Secondly, Guile was 300+ dollars, actually about the same price as this Scorpion...and furthermore, the Scorpion is bigger overall....has a phenomenal and intricate base, and costs the same! WTH Spazzy?

Now if you dont like the character in general, fine...but the cost is a relatively weak excuse when trying to compare MK prices to SF prices. And Jerry already stated that the cost of mixed media as opposed to fully sculpted statues are negligible at best.

Yes the characters have to be popular, but stick some crappy costumes on the SF characters and see how well they do.

Yes Guile was $310, but didn't say I like that either, Jerry always says the detail of the costume is holding up delays, and this costs too much, and so on, so I don't understand why it cost more when there is no additional production of material, unless it IS the license cost. SO shouldn't Chun Li be around $250? if the costume is NOT a huge factor in cost?

Now I am willing to give this the benefit of the doubt, because Jerry has impressed me many times, I just don't see myself really being too involved with the line like I kinda wanted to.

[QUOTE=loricstone;3882985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
I don't play video games anymore, so the classics are what interests me, unfortunately this is not looking good for me. Oh well, commissions are getting just as affordable as buying a licensed piece nowadays, so may end up going that route one day, I only want a few characters Scorpion, and Sub Zero, reptile, of course in museum poses.[/QUOTE]

Since when??????? Maybe you mean in 1/8 scale size or something. Hell it costs $100 to repaint a statue. Let me know where I can do comissions (high quality) for about $300. PLEASEEEE!!!!!

No, one person buying one commision is NOT going to be $300.....but....well I don't want to go on vacation again, so I will drop that.

Quote:
I'm wasn't being a smart ass either Spazzy...I'm serious! Man, I would comission a true, real, correct, more realistic She-Hulk than the one that SS has done already! She is nice, but not the best pose and look for her. She needs to be a huge voluptuous but big powerhouse of a woman that would give everyone pause when they saw her.

Everyone should be like Dwwaaaammmmmm!!!!!
As she is now, shes like, meh, she's a pretty skinny green woman. Meh!
It's cool, I wasn't taking offense.

I like my She Hulk though
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #119
benocehcap
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Yes Guile was $310, but didn't say I like that either, Jerry always says the detail of the costume is holding up delays, and this costs too much, and so on, so I don't understand why it cost more when there is no additional production of material, unless it IS the license cost. SO shouldn't Chun Li be around $250? if the costume is NOT a huge factor in cost?
Its not the detail or the level of difficulty of the costume. It is the profits ratio!
benocehcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #120
bruhaha69
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
The SF line would be very, very dull to me if it was fully sculpted. A fine mixture of both is the best way to go. The acutal SF statue is sculpted. Its just the clothes are material. Whats the difference between sculpted clothes and material clothes?

Absolutely nothing in my book and this is a highly overused and overrated argument to me. Whats more, at least you can remove or change the look somewhat to mixed media....NOT SO WITH Sculpts.

Once a sculpt is done, its done. I can at least pose Ken and Ryus belts different ways.
That's a definite strong point.

To answer your question, I just don't think the real clothes look natural on the sculpted characters in most cases. They don't wear real clothes in the game (ironically, the classic MK games did, haha). To me, I want the statue to be a snapshot of the character, hyper detailed and exaggerated. Not to say they look terrible (SF line looks damn good in my book), but I would have taken a painted Cammy versus one wearing Spandex, no doubt about it. Zanief's spandex undies didn't really add much. Ryu, Ken and Akuma's costumes were pretty well done, but again, I'd have taken fully sculpted easily.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess
bruhaha69 is offline   Reply With Quote