Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
manueld12
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

newbie question - sculpey original vs super sculpey

Hi guys

im new to the world of sculpting in general and just finding my way around playing with the tools etc

I bought a pack of sculpey original the other day and was playing around with it..managed to make a mini arm / foot etc..

my question is

1) is this the same material as super sculpey? i found this one very soft and it was really annoying whilst working with it getting finger prints all over it when i tried to add definition to one part of the sculpt

2) when handling it , the clay tends to stick on the hand and later ends up in the cracks of your fingerprints etc. is it advisable to wear latex gloves?

3) i also heard about this other oil based clay called chavant? would you recommend this over sculpey?

thanks for any answers
manueld12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Alright I'm no pro but I have played around with a few mediums. Sculpey original I haven't worked with but from what I gather it is the 'kids version' of super sculpey. If you are worried about it being to soft super sculpey firm (the gray stuff) has a lot more body and if cooled can be pretty hard for detailing etc. On the other end of the spectrum is wax. Gary at willowproducts.com sells some great waxes. Plenty of varieties for almost any situation and he's great about helping you find a wax you like by sending a sample or two along with your order. Right dab in the middle is castilene (made my chavant). I only recently got some of the stuff (I sprung for the medium firmness to try it out) and I'm in love. It's just soft enough to be easily worked with warm tools but also workable with unwarmed tools. It's also hard enough to hold it's shape awesomely and when cooled to room temp touching it won't leave fingerprints. It melts easy and stays pliable for quite awhile making it a joy to work with. Sorry that was a bit longwinded, just trying to help ya out. Let me know if this helped or if you have any further questions.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
manueld12

hi there

thank you for your insight in the matter

Im still very much an amateur and getting to ropes with everything.

The fingerprint thing i mentioned was when i touched the clay to sculpt it (before baking). Im yet to use an armature stand to hold the sculpture in place and i have loads of questions about that too would you be kind enough to answer or guide me in the right direction please?

thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Honestly if you just go through the stickies in this section you will find loads of helpful information. And if you use the search tool for armature stand you should find some good threads.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Since I have received help in the past from Voshizle and Moore, especially with armature questions, I figured I'd try to give back.

I'm no expert and am just starting out myself. Building an armature was extremely difficult for me. I tried some recommendations from the posts and threads here, tried the John Brown... almost anything.

In the end, I felt what worked the best is the way Tony Cipriano does it. Unless you decide to build a thick huge statue ie like the hulk or something, the best way I figure is to do it the way Tony Cipriano does it.

Goto google.com and type in Tony Cipriano sculptor... you will find a link for HVATV for like a 2nd part to a Tony Cipriano interview. If you watch that, he kind of goes into some detail in building an armature that he's been using his whole career.

Reason I like his method, is because it's sturdy and when your done, you can just cut the supporting wire. You'll see what I mean when you watch the video.

But the best recommendation is you just have to do it. Try everything... I messed up so many times, but I also learned alot... sounds like such a general and annoying advice... but you will learn alot in terms of what works best for the types of statues you want to build.

Just try everything and mess up and try again! Best advice! Coming from a newbie whose done almost all and will keep trying to learn more!
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
manueld12

wow that was brilliant. loved it. thanks jetfire

just a quick question though.. the bit at the end when he shows the model torso (broken from the limbs etc) . how do you go about dismantling a clay sculpt? do u have to bake it etc? what about removing the armature support?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hey Manuel,

Yeah... Tony Cipriano is the man. You know what? From the video, looks like he had it baked and then he just cut it .. maybe using some dremel tool or a saw... don't really know.

As for me, cutting a sculpture after it's baked can get a little messy... either way, before you bake or after you bake, your probably going to have to go back and fix up the statue again. For this type of scenario, you'll probably find a good way by watching the John Brown Series 1 video... he goes through building an armature and how to build an armature so you can take it apart for casting and molding. You can buy the video on his sight. I liked this video... however, the using pipes as support for his armature didn't work so well for me just cuz my sculpt wasn't that big and didn't need that kind of support.

In Browns video, looks like you can disconnect the pipes in the back. As for the support used by Cipriano, the way I figured it is ... you can just cut the wire support using wire cutters. Pretty simple.

Take a look at the Popsculpture blog... they go into detail about how the pros sculpt theire statues.

I'm telling you...you just gotta do it and mess up. Just do it!! : )
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #8
manueld12

I think i just answered my own question.

bought some super sculpey today and its sooo much better than original sculpey..less sticky and much more firmer. and it doesnt stick to my hands

bingo..found what i needed
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Original Sculpey has it's place......

I like to use it while roughing out an armature/figure the put layer of Super Sculpey for detailed work.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote