Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 PM   #91
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Well if PVC can appear more life-like than polystone I'd prefer it.

I've never cared about statue weight or what a statue feels like when I rub my oily human hands on it, as I wear gloves when handling and have no desire to handle often.

The material that looks the most realistic and can hold the most detail and intricacy is what I deem superior. It also of course has to be durable and long-lasting.

If I wanted something unpainted with an actual stone or bronzed effect like an ancient Roman bust, then that is a situation in which I would probably not lean towards PVC.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #92
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post

I've never cared about statue weight or what a statue feels like when I rub my oily human hands on it, as I wear gloves when handling and have no desire to handle often.

The material that looks the most realistic and can hold the most detail and intricacy is what I deem superior. It also of course has to be durable and long-lasting.

If I wanted something unpainted with an actual stone or bronzed effect like an ancient Roman bust, then that is a situation in which I would probably not lean towards PVC.

Python posted some pics in the Wolf LSB thread, and it looks awesome in those pics.

As he pointed out though - that is NOT what these look like in-hand.

I sat mine next to a few of my Son's Funko Pop! figures - and that is EXACTLY what it looks like in-hand

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #93
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
Python posted some pics in the Wolf LSB thread, and it looks awesome in those pics.

As he pointed out though - that is NOT what these look like in-hand.

I sat mine next to a few of my Son's Funko Pop! figures - and that is EXACTLY what it looks like in-hand

Oh yeah, no doubt. This thing is garbage. I'm solely speaking of materials. PVC, from what I've seen, has the potential to be better than polystone.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #94
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Oh yeah, no doubt. This thing is garbage. I'm solely speaking of materials. PVC, from what I've seen, has the potential to be better than polystone.
Yeah - sorry bud - I knew what you meant - and that you'd seen that in the original thread - it was more for those solely monitoring THIS thread.

(* sorry for the confusion *)

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #95
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

Quote:
It can, but most often it just appears more plastic-like. The storm collectables Hulk Hogan has a pretty darn realistic and well done face, but he's entirely pvc and reminds me a bit more of the rubber bendy wendy Hulk I played with as a kid than a high end art piece.
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #96
built2shred
Phoenix

If Jerry is so knowledgeable about PVC, how come companies like Koto and Yamato sell their PVC statues for like 60% less then their Polystone counterparts?

If SS sold Man of Steel PF for $400 which was 100% PVC then they should be selling Polystone statues for like $300 according to Jerry.

Either these companies are losing a ton of money on their PVC statues or they're royally ripping customers off by placing a HUGE premium pricing on polystone.

Quote:
Well if PVC can appear more life-like than polystone I'd prefer it..
That's not really the case though, Although Hot Toys and Bltizway can make realistic looking portraits in PVC, so can Iron Studios with Polystone, Gentle Giant Artemisia and Black Widow were also really great polystone portraits.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #97
Guilty
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
If Jerry is so knowledgeable about PVC, how come companies like Koto and Yamato sell their PVC statues for like 60% less then their Polystone counterparts?

If SS sold Man of Steel PF for $400 which was 100% PVC then they should be selling Polystone statues for like $300 according to Jerry.

Either these companies are losing a ton of money on their PVC statues or they're royally ripping customers off by placing a HUGE premium pricing on polystone.

That's not really the case though, Although Hot Toys and Bltizway can make realistic looking portraits in PVC, so can Iron Studios with Polystone, Gentle Giant Artemisia and Black Widow were also really great polystone portraits.
You're forgetting that those are likely produced in far higher quantities than what Sideshow does. Citing a portion from F4F Alex, you have to sell thousands of PVC figures just to even start breaking even on the costs of the moulds.

On the flip side, Sideshow is producing these in limited quantities and with more work involved vs what is normally expected from a basic PVC figure.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #98
aa909
The Green Hornet

From what I've seen, the paint finish on Polystone is superior to PVC, able to capture much finer details. and PVC will start to deform >60C, so how well will a 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale $700-$1000 PVC "statue" hold up stored over the weekend in the UPS warehouse in Nevada?
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #99
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
You're forgetting that those are likely produced in far higher quantities than what Sideshow does. Citing a portion from F4F Alex, you have to sell thousands of PVC figures just to even start breaking even on the costs of the moulds.

On the flip side, Sideshow is producing these in limited quantities and with more work involved vs what is normally expected from a basic PVC figure.
Sideshow Edition Sizes are a lot higher then Yamato or Koto...

Like others have said, the biggest issue with PVC is perception, people link PVC with cheap plastic toys.... All I know is when I did get the MOS PF, when I held the body it felt like a plastic Barbie doll, it even bended a bit... It felt so cheap.... that's the legacy of PVC so trying to get people to think that PVC is superior to Polystone or Cold Cast Porcelain is a up hill battle IMO.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #100
silentwinter92
U talkin' to me?

PVC also has different grades and different types/compositions for different purposes.

PVC does not look as good as resin for 1/4 scale stuff from what I have seen just due to the matte smooth nature of the material that does not bring out the vibrancy of paintwork as well as polystone/resin.

However, that's not to say it doesn't have its uses. Due to the softer nature of the material, figures can look more natural and less rigid. Extremely complex sculpts especially in the sculpting of Hair strands can be made possible with pvc.
At a high level of replication, face sculpts for figures can even look downright realistic. One of my Favourite pvc companies is gecco and every sculpt I have from them is awesome. Polystone can't compare to pvc in this aspect at all, only prime 1's translucent resin is similar or better.

So imo, usage of pvc for 1/6 scales to obtain exceeding detail is perfectly fine if the quality of pvc used is very good. The type that doesn't shine in the light, has a matte look, is smooth to the touch doesn't degrade or turn yellow over time and is highly resistant to temperature. The pvc industry has come a Long way and it's down to companies to invest in the correct quality instead of skimping out.

Some e.g. of lousy pvc products, robin's body from tsume robin statue
Some e.g. of gd pvc companies, jap companies alter/flare/amakuni/gecco
silentwinter92 is offline   Reply With Quote