Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #91
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Oh I'm not necessarily passing.

There's just an opportunity with the recent Vampirella, Lady Death, and this to have a horror big T&A display with characters all from the same company with similar fan bases. If someone is enough of a fan of this character on her own it likely won't matter.

Scale seems to be a problem for companies overall though. One of my favorite statues is PCS's Shao Kahn but it is so undersized that I can't pair it with others from the same line else he is just the odd man out.

I don't expect this to match the older Vampirellas or Lady Death and I'd be more understanding if this were a significant amount of time from the others and I'd be fine if the other statues were 1/5.

I just feel like being a whiny baby today over statues I feel should go together not being in scale.
I agree with you, OC and the others here. I think 1/4 would have been better, given their current and previous offerings (Lady Death PFs in particular); definitely a missed opportunity in that respect. I'm just not ready to declare this piece a failure, and call the biggest statue producer out for their ineptitude, just because it's not 1/4.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #92
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post

I just feel like being a whiny baby today over statues I feel should go together not being in scale.
They do go together.

Not only did they used to be produced by the same company, they were in multiple cross over events. Not to mention, people tend to group characters from the same company. Its why Dynamite is now producing the Women of Dynamite line. It just makes sense. Randomly tossing out a 1:5 statue when all of the other characters associated with that character have been 1:4 makes no sense at all.

Honestly, the fact that Sideshow is producing a new PF Lady Death statue is all the reason Sideshow would ever need to make this Purgatory 1:4 instead of 1:5. The fact that Dynamite now owns Purgatory and as such many people would want to group Purgatory with characters like Vampirella and Red Sonja....well, that only solidifies 1:4 as the right choice. This should be as common sense as common sense gets to anyone with knowledge of these markets.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #93
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Most people who collect these kinds of statues want consitantcy with size. So you would be all for Sideshow producing a 1:5 Flash as opposed to 1:4? By all means, if you want to disagree with me then disagree. If you want to think this is smart business then that is your right. In my opinion this is about as mind numbly horrid as business decisions can get in this market. Again, I rank it right up there with the fake sigantures on thier prints and no 2nd portrait with Supergirl. In each of these cases the proper route is PAINFULLY obvious.

Actually, mind numbly horrid doesnt really do justice to just how bad these decisions really are, at least in my opinion.
I didn't say this was a smart business decision; I said it may succeed and it may fail. Based on my many years of collecting and observing Sideshow pieces, I don't think scale is as important as quality in term of how well received and desirable something ends up being in the long run. In other words, if the art is there, I think many people will live with the scale. That may not be the case for you and some of the others here, but you're not the entire market. Just like you may not like the Supergirl portrait, but you're not the entire market.

I always encourage people to speak with their wallets and not buy something if it doesn't completely satisfy them. But the bad business stuff is a bit of hyperbole in this case, again, because history has shown 1/5 does well when the piece is awesome. If it fails, then it fails, but it's early.

Out of your examples, the signature thing is definitely bad business, because it's a misrepresentation. Something like that, or the decision to make the Man of Steel PF out of PVC and not tell anyone is bad, because it's a bait and switch.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:38 PM   #94
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I didn't say this was a smart business decision; I said it may succeed and it may fail. Based on my many years of collecting and observing Sideshow pieces, I don't think scale is as important as quality in term of how well received and desirable something ends up being in the long run. In other words, if the art is there, I think many people will live with the scale. That may not be the case for you and some of the others here, but you're not the entire market. Just like you may not like the Supergirl portrait, but you're not the entire market.

I always encourage people to speak with their wallets and not buy something if it doesn't completely satisfy them. But the bad business stuff is a bit of hyperbole in this case, again, because history has shown 1/5 does well when the piece is awesome. If it fails, then it fails, but it's early.

Out of your examples, the signature thing is definitely bad business, because it's a misrepresentation. Something like that, or the decision to make the Man of Steel PF out of PVC and not tell anyone is bad, because it's a bait and switch.
And I said this is an absolutely horrid decision and I stand by that 100%. Again, the fact that Sideshow is currently selling a new PF Lady Death is all the reason Sideshow would ever need to make this 1:4 over 1:5. The fact that Dynamite now owns Purgatory and as such many people would want to display Purgatory next to characters like Red Sonja and Vampirella just solidifies that fact even more so.

Again, if you want to disagree then disagree. In my opionion, this is without question one of the single worst decisions Sideshow has made to date. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I can't think of a single reason for making this 1:5 as opposed to 1:4. This is the kind of business decision I would expect to see from a brand new statue company with no expereince in the market at all. Seeing this from Sideshow, a company that has been in business for over 20 years and basically created the high end statue market, is nothing short of mind blowing.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #95
gomur
The Tick

The only rationale for making this 1:5 to me is money. If Purgatori is packing some serious wings then maybe the cost to manufacture her would mandate a higher price tag? Not that prices feel reasonable to begin with. And maybe the projected sales with that high price tag aren't to Sideshow's satisfaction. Hence, make it 1:5 and lower production costs.

No doubt Igo and company will produce an amazing Purgatori. But I'd suddenly hate to see Hawkgirl released at 1:5 when all other DC characters have been to the contrary.

Actually, another rationale: new line of 1:5 characters. Does anyone remember Chastity?
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #96
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
And I said this is an absolutely horrid decision and I stand by that 100%. Again, the fact that Sideshow is currently selling a new PF Lady Death is all the reason Sideshow would ever need to make this 1:4 over 1:5. The fact that Dynamite now owns Purgatory and as such many people would want to display Purgatory next to characters like Red Sonja and Vampirella just solidifies that fact even more so.

Again, if you want to disagree then disagree. In my opionion, this is without question one of the single worst decisions Sideshow has made to date. It makes absolutely no sense at all. I can't think of a single reason for making this 1:5 as opposed to 1:4. This is the kind of business decision I would expect from a brand new statue company with no expereince in the market at all. Seeing this from Sideshow, a company that has been in business for over 20 years and basically created the high end statue market, is nothing short of mind blowing.
It would have been better in 1/4. But Sideshow has switched up scale on related characters many, many times. The entire comiquette/PF distinction in their Marvel line was a clusterfudge because some comiquettes were 1/4, some were 1/5, characters that should've gone together were different scales, etc...

This is nothing new. Am I saying it's a good thing? No. Am I saying you shouldn't care? No. Am I saying this wouldn't have been better at 1/4? No. But if mixing scales and inconsistencies are the worst possible decisions Sideshow could make, they've already made those decisions many times over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
The only rationale for making this 1:5 to me is money. If Purgatori is packing some serious wings then maybe the cost to manufacture her would mandate a higher price tag? Not that prices feel reasonable to begin with. And maybe the projected sales with that high price tag aren't to Sideshow's satisfaction. Hence, make it 1:5 and lower production costs.

No doubt Igo and company will produce an amazing Purgatori. But I'd suddenly hate to see Hawkgirl released at 1:5
Agree, it's most likely a cost thing, which is why I say it may or may not end up being bad, numbers-wise. As for Hawkgirl, don't worry, they'll never get to her. We still don't have Flash and it's like 4 years into the licence. And I have a feeling they may not even have a licence to do 1/5 scale DC characters at all.

Last edited by COI; 02-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #97
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
this is about as close as VS is going to get to a Victoria secret statue I think lol
HAHAHAHAHA
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #98
ChromeColossus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toty21 View Post
Sideshow is very excited to announce that a Purgatori Statue is on the way for Dynamite and Vampirella fans! Pre-Orders for Purgatori Statue begin on Thursday, March 3, 2016!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #99
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Agree, it's most likely a cost thing, which is why I say it may or may not end up being bad, numbers-wise. As for Hawkgirl, don't worry, they'll never get to her. We still don't have Flash and it's like 4 years into the licence. And I have a feeling they may not even have a licence to do 1/5 scale DC characters at all.
What are you talking about man? Have you checked your calendar? This is the Year of the Flash! I can feel it in my bones. In my soul! San Diego Comic Con... here cometh The Flash! Maaaaybe.

But true, Hawkgirl probably doesn't see the light of day.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #100
ChromeColossus

[/QUOTE]

It's about time someone did another Purgatory and Clayburn Moore's is a tough act to follow other than some well done Customs, I am so looking forward to seeing more of a revel on Purgatory and what the Ex will be if any + the scale for myself is not Critical, would Love to add this along with the Temptation of Lady Death to my Lady Death Collection

a few more pieces have been added since this pic, will try to get a update pic