Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #81
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Agreed! A Dejah Thoris is severly lacking right now in this market!

If Sideshow winds up making this a 1:5 statue, as opposed to a 1:4 PF, than I would rank this as another terrible decision on Sideshow's part, right up there with not including a 2nd portrait with Supergirl and not using real signatures with thier Premium Print line.

They already have a PF Vampirella and a new PF Lady Death & PF Red Sonja on the way. Deciding to make a Purgatory statue and then choosing to go 1:5 and thus making it incompatible size wise with all of the other female Dynamite statues makes absolutely zero sense.

One thing is for sure and that is that this is a day one pre-order for me if its 1:4 and a VERY EASY pass if its 1:5. Sideshow does seem
Igo confirmed this is 1/5 on page 4 of this thread.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #82
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Igo confirmed this is 1/5 on page 4 of this thread.
Well, that confirms that its a very easy pass for me. At least I learned about it within the same hour of discovering the statue. That makes it FAR less disappointing.

Honestly, I just don't understand some of Sideshow's business decisions at all. Its like having a really smart business guy and a really stupid business guy in the same room and randomly choosing which one to use. What could possibly be the advantage to making this 1:5 as opposed to 1:4? Just makes no sense at all, just like the signatures with the prints and not including another portrait with Supergirl. Oh well, I have way too much on pre order anyways. A few passes here and there is ultimatey a good thing for me.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #83
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Well, that confirms that its a very easy pass for me. At least I learned about it within the same hour of discovering the statue. That makes it FAR less disappointing.

Honestly, I just don't understand some of Sideshow's business decisions at all. Its like having a really smart business guy and a really stupid business guy in the same room and randomly choosing which one to use. What could possibly be the advantage to making this 1:5 as opposed to 1:4? Just makes no sense at all, just like the signatures with the prints and not including another portrait with Supergirl. Oh well, I have way too much on pre order anyways. A few passes here and there is ultimatey a good thing for me.
I think quite a few people are going to pass on it now.
Most would want this as a companion piece to their Lady Death PF. Is it due to them being owned by different companies?
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #84
COI

Quote:

Maybe this piece will do well, maybe it won't. 1/4 would have made sense given their past releases, sure, but maybe there are other factors that led them to go 1/5, including things we don't know about like potential future releases. Or maybe, as Igo eluded to, this is a highly detailed and ambitious piece with large dimensions that may have been too costly at 1/4.

I get that 1/4 scale is the preferred scale around here, but this 1/4 = win, 1/5 = fail/SS doesn't know business isn't the most compelling analysis, especially since we haven't seen the piece yet. There are plenty of buyers for 1/5 scale pieces, and there are lots of people who will take the concession in scale for high quality.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #85
qz33
Doctor Doom

Consistency is the problem for me.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #86
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igo View Post
Ladies and Gents, she is 1:5 scale. But she has the presence of a 1:4 scale. Her wings and base, she's nuts… she can also read at a 1:4 scale level.
Has the presence of 1:4 scale? I'm literally speechless, lol. Sideshow has 2 PF Red Sonja's, 2 PF Lady Death's, 2 PF Vampirella's and yet Sideshow decides to produce a 1:5 Purgatory? God what I would pay to be able to hear the business meeting that ultimately came to this decision.

Is Sideshow now producing a 1:5 Dynamite line? Didn't think so. Sorry, but I am not buying a 1:5 Purgatory when all of my other Dynamite statues are 1:4. Its one thing when there is going to be an entire line, like Dynamite's Women of Dynamite or Sideshow's MotU line, but just randomly producing individual 1:5 statues for no reason at all just makes no sense at all and I for one refuse to support such nonsensical business decisions.

I am a huge Sideshow fan, but some of the business decisions that come out of Sideshow are just mind numbingly horrid. They literally defy all business sense and common sense. I guess this is a side of Sideshow I will have to come to accept.

Quote:
Maybe this piece will do well, maybe it won't. 1/4 would have made sense given their past releases, sure, but maybe there are other factors that led them to go 1/5, including things we don't know about like potential future releases. Or maybe, as Igo eluded to, this is a highly detailed and ambitious piece with large dimensions that may have been too costly at 1/4.

I get that 1/4 scale is the preferred scale around here, but this 1/4 = win, 1/5 = fail/SS doesn't know business isn't the most compelling analysis, especially since we haven't seen the piece yet. There are plenty of buyers for 1/5 scale pieces, and there are lots of people who will take the concession in scale for high quality.
Maybe it will do well and maybe it won't. That wont change that fact that making this 1:5, as opposed to 1:4, just makes absolutely no sense at all, unless Sideshow is starting a new Dynamite 1:5 line that I don't know about. Producing 1:4 statues and then suddenly tossing out a 1:5 just for the hell of it....well, that is just not the type of consistancy I am looking for in statue companies. With this approach to the industry, there would be nothing wrong with Sideshow producing a 1:5 Flash statue as opposed to 1:4. It doesnt matter that there are now 5 - 1:4 Justice League characters already available or up for order. They can just make Flash so he has the presence of a 1:4, lol.

Ultimately, this is just another mind numbly horrid business decision on Sideshow's part. The scary thing is, I am beginning to get used to these kinds of decisions from Sideshow.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #87
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Consistency is the problem for me.
Understood, but to pass before even seeing the piece based on scale seems to me to be putting "consistency" before the art, which I don't personally get. Some of the best pieces I've seen from Sideshow are 1/5, and while it would have been amazing to see those pieces at 1/4, I wouldn't give them up just because they slightly (and in many cases VERY slightly) smaller. And the reason I put "consistency" in quotes is there are plenty of 1/4 pieces that are over/under sized; even when something is officially 1/4 or 1/5, doesn't mean it adheres perfectly to other pieces in the same scale.

Whatever. To each their own, I guess.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #88
COI

Quote:
Has the presence of 1:5? I'm literally speechless, lol. Sideshow has 2 PF Red Sonja's, 2 PF Lady Death's, 2 PF Vampirella's and yet Sideshow decides to produce a 1:5 Purgatory? God what I would pay to be able to hear the business meeting that ultimately came to this decision.

Is Sideshow now producing a 1:5 Dynamite line? Didn't think so. Sorry, but I am not buying a 1:5 Purgatory when all of my other Dynamite statues are 1:4. Its one thing when there is going to be an entire line, like Dynamite's Women of Dynamite or Sideshow's MotU line, but just randomly producing individual 1:5 statues for no reason at all just makes no sense at all and I for one refuse to support such nonsensical business decisions.

I am a huge Sideshow fan, but some of the business decisions that come out of Sideshow are just mind numbingly horrid. They literally defy all business sense and common sense. I guess this is a side of Sideshow I will have to come to accept.

Maybe it will do well and maybe it won't. That wont change that fact that making this 1:5, as opposed to 1:4, just makes absolutely no sense at all, unless Sideshow is starting a new Dynamite 1:5 line that I don't know about. Producing 6+ 1:4 female Dynamite statues in a row and then suddenly tossing out a 1:5....well, that is just not the type of consistancy I am looking for in statue companies.

Ultimately, this is just another mind numbly horrid business decision on Sideshow's part.
So, maybe it'll do well, but this is a "mind numbly horrid business decision"? If it does well, it isn't a horrible business decision, it's just not exactly what you and some other people want.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #89
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Understood, but to pass before even seeing the piece based on scale seems to me to be putting "consistency" before the art, which I don't personally get. Some of the best pieces I've seen from Sideshow are 1/5, and while it would have been amazing to see those pieces at 1/4, I wouldn't give them up just because they slightly (and in many cases VERY slightly) smaller. And the reason I put "consistency" in quotes is there are plenty of 1/4 pieces that are over/under sized; even when something is officially 1/4 or 1/5, doesn't mean it adheres perfectly to other pieces in the same scale.

Whatever. To each their own, I guess.
Oh I'm not necessarily passing.

There's just an opportunity with the recent Vampirella, Lady Death, and this to have a horror big T&A display with characters all from the same company with similar fan bases. If someone is enough of a fan of this character on her own it likely won't matter but for me a significant appeal is matching with the others.

Scale seems to be a problem for companies overall though. One of my favorite statues is PCS's Shao Kahn but it is so undersized that I can't pair it with others from the same line else he is just the odd man out.

I don't expect this to match the older Vampirellas or Lady Death and I'd be more understanding if this were a significant amount of time from the newer versions and I'd be fine if the other statues were 1/5.

I just feel like being a whiny baby today over statues I feel should go together not being in scale.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #90
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
So, maybe it'll do well, but this is a "mind numbly horrid business decision"? If it does well, it isn't a horrible business decision, it's just not exactly what you and some other people want.
Most people who collect these kinds of statues want consistency with size. So you would be all for Sideshow producing a 1:5 Flash as opposed to 1:4? By all means, if you want to disagree with me then disagree. If you want to think this is smart business then that is your right. In my opinion this is about as mind numbly horrid as business decisions can get in this market. Again, I rank it right up there with the fake sigantures on thier prints and no 2nd portrait with Supergirl. In each of these cases the proper route is PAINFULLY obvious.

Actually, mind numbly horrid doesnt really do justice to just how bad these decisions really are, at least in my opinion.

Who are the people that are interested in this charcter? Its the people that have been buying the Vampirella's, the Red Sonja's, and the Lady Death statues. So you want to produce a Purgatory statue. Do you produce a 1:4, which would allow one to display Puragorty next to all of the other Dynamite female characters or do you produce a 1:5, which basically makes it out of scale for the other Dyanmite statues. At least for me, this is about as common sense as common sense gets.