Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Andy Bergholtz

Old 10-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #51
TOM S.
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Wow. That is a great likeness !! And Russell Crowe is not a particularly easy likeness to achieve - he has such distinct facial features that it would be really easy to over emphasize and accidentally create a caricature. Awesome sculpt, Andy!!
TOM S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #52
boons88
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

wow...rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
Indeed!

Watching Gladiator now! So excited!

The one and only Saul will be painting him, no less!

thats going to rock in petaling jaya
boons88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 AM   #53
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Hey boons88!

Good to see you here again, bro. It's been awhile! How've you been?

I'm in little Kuching though. And I'm pretty sure it'll knock pretty much a bunch of people's socks off, even the big boys up in KL/Pj area!

This truly is one awesomely sculpted piece and all I've seen are just pics! Can't wait to see it in-hand
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #54
slaine
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekrodneysim View Post
What's a piece like this cost (pardon the ignorance) if a mere mortal like myself were to wish for one?

How many versions were made available? Painted, unpainted & signed by Andy? How many total were ever made?

Gladiator is one of my all-time favorite movies!
Problaby I arrived late but it is possible to get one painted??? Thanks to all.
slaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:58 AM   #55
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I dunno, man. Not many were made, and I don't know how many would want to part with such an awesome piece.

Incidentally, I just got word from Saul that took me completely by surprise. After a month or two with no word, he shot me an email saying my Maximus is done! I have never had a master painter do one just for me so I didn't know how the process works.

I expected maybe he'd ask how I'd like it done or what colors etc. But I knew I was in very capable hands.

The finished work looks stunning! A little darker than I expected in comparison to a few of the others shown but the paintwork is one that can only be done by a master. The accents on the chestpiece looks flawless. (Well everything looks flawless, I'm just too lazy to go into detail)

I knew Saul is proud of it or else he wouldn't have told me it was finished and shown me. (I am somewhat of an artist as well so I know how it works, and an artist NEVER criticizes the work of another). The pics he provided were pretty lores so I'll ask his permission for hires pics and will post them if I get his blessing.

I am truly stoked!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 AM   #56
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Well here he is. My own Maximus, painted by none other than the great Saul Alvarez. He is pleased with this and that's good enough for me.

He's been a champ all throughout the process and has been kind enough to let me post the pics he sent me for approval. Picture credits belong to Mr Alvarez himself. I don't have mine yet but soon.

Super stoked!

Thanks again, brother! He looks magnificent! Your legendary paint skills have lived up to it's billing.

THE SPANIARD! Worthy of the General himself.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:25 AM   #57
Darknight
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

That's a fantastic paint job Derek. One of the best I've seen on this kit.

Congrats on a worthy piece.. now for the grueling wait till it arrives safely in your hands.
Darknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #58
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Thanks, brother!

I gotta agree. All credit goes to Saul. He's the master and ranks high among the very best.

I'm so lucky that he was willing to do this one for me off the bat. Can't say enough good things about this guy!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #59
mattman68
Blue Falcon

My Maximus has arrived! Expertly built and painted by Mr. John Allred. Can't say enough nice things about the guy.

I sprinkled some 1/4 scale synthetic rose petals on the base. I think it adds a nice touch, further giving the piece that final battle feel. I also found a nice pedestal at the store earlier today to put him on. So happy to finally have this piece in my collection.

mattman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #60
Pzak
Sculptor
Sculptor

Wow, there are some great build ups here.

Sadly, I never got my copy.