Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
risingstar
Jedi Order

I think the price point has already compelled me to pass on numerous pieces. However, for some inexplicable reason, Sideshow edition numbers continue to rise so what the heck do I know? Clearly, there are people out there who are more than willing to meet these rising costs despite the often reported QC issues.

The Sideshow product/value ratio has certainly declined for me, to the point where a large part of my hobby dollars have been diverted elsewhere. Sure, it's proven pricier to invest in other companies, but so far, the quality has been outstanding. I absolutely love feeling that "wow" factor whenever I open up a statue box. I haven't felt that same feeling with a Sideshow statue for some time. Don't get me wrong -- I haven't hated my Sideshow purchases. I just wasn't as "wowed" as I could have been.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #22
Comicbookguy
Hercules

Well sentinel maquette sure is not worth 900.00 not even including shipping etc. I'm sure that thing will go for less than retail when it's gets released. So it's close to 1000.00 for the sentinel shipped. Crazy!
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #23
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
That's the funny thing about collectibles; values are completely subjective and often determined by group-think. So it's really hard to know where the ceiling is for retail because it depends on what perception PFs have to the general collector base. My guess is, the recent jump in prices may be Sideshow attempting to gauge the ceiling for their PF line, and they're smartly using characters like Batman, Spidey and Wolverine to do it.
Great point COI.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
traylorc
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Well sentinel maquette sure is not worth 900.00 not even including shipping etc. I'm sure that thing will go for less than retail when it's gets released. So it's close to 1000.00 for the sentinel shipped. Crazy!
The Sentinel may not be worth $900 to you...but that doesn't mean $900 is not the appropriate price point.

People tend to try to assign the appropriateness of a certain price point based on their individual financial situation and/or what they are willing to pay for a product.

IMHO the appropriateness of a price point is fundamentally based on the demand of the majority of buyers who have the disposable income available to buy the proposed product. If there are ten customers who legitimately have the financial means to buy a product (i.e. the Sentinel Maquette), and seven of them feel that the proposed $900 price point is acceptable....then the right price point has likely been selected.

Setting prices is really based more on what is acceptable to a group of potential customers, rather than individual customers.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
snappahead
Producer
Producer

I reached my limit a year or so ago. I remember thinking long and hard about spending an insane $500 for the original Doom PF not too many years ago. It's crazy to think we're at this point now with pricing. Especially with open or gigantic ESs and piss poor QC.
snappahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
HeromanPunch
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It's already too much for me. For 1k shipped I can get a custom 1/4 why pay 600 shipped from sideshow for a inferior product
HeromanPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #27
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

End of the line soon for me...
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #28
strife87
Spider-Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
End of the line soon for me...
Yes, prices go much higher ill only be purchasing a select few I love, instead of the ones I just like but don't consider must haves.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #29
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I'm at the end of the PFS road too. 2 pieces will cost you $1,000 now. Crazy.

I'm gonna see what Prime does with the TDK license and be calling it quits pretty soon.

Was fun for awhile, but when I look at a piece and think what it cost me more than what it is, its not worth it anymore.

SS has definitely priced out a lot of us collectors that were there back in their "hey day". Oh well..is what it is.

PS whatever happened to Scott (think that was his name)? The guy who used to do the short videos on a piece when it first was announced.
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #30
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
It's at the point where they are so close in price to higher quality collectibles it makes me want to just drop a few extra hundred for stuff like the new batman from prime 1.
I honestly dont think that SS can match the detail on that piece for the price Prime 1 are selling it at and SS' version would highly likely have a weird pose or portrait that would turn off half the statue fanbase.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote