Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Houston Trashstros, what's the proper punishment?

Been hearing a lot about the 2017 WS Champions* stealing pitching signs with the use of a camera and banging on a trashcan...

Seriously though, that's pretty serious and a black eye on the sport. I'm hearing a lot of thoughts on punishment from taking away the Championship to a postseason ban for a couple years. What do you think's fair?

Also really surprised how all the players had to know and how obvious the "banging" was in hindsight, maybe a little less so than the obvious coughing in the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" cheating game lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Demona
Martian Manhunter

The problem with baseball is it's always been a game with cheating scandals. PIDs, Corked Bats, Gambling, Throwing Games, Pine Tar...Stealing signs has always been a thing, but for the base runners. I always looked at the as part of the game. Even with the higher degree of sign stealing, I can't say I'm really up in arms about this.

IMO it's much different than stealing plays in football. Football is all about the plays. Baseball is about a man on man battle to hit a ball with a bat. If a pitcher is throwing grapefruit or a batter is in a slump, knowing the pitch won't help much. Also, the defense in baseball has really stepped it up.

I don't think the Astros deserve to lose a championship. If they didn't strip the Patriots of anything - just fine them and keep it moving.

You want to have a hotter debate about baseball. Let's discuss how Pete Rose should be in the HOF because IMO his skills as a player are not the same as his moronic decisions he made as a coach.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
The problem with baseball is it's always been a game with cheating scandals. PIDs, Corked Bats, Gambling, Throwing Games, Pine Tar...Stealing signs has always been a thing, but for the base runners. I always looked at the as part of the game. Even with the higher degree of sign stealing, I can't say I'm really up in arms about this.

IMO it's much different than stealing plays in football. Football is all about the plays. Baseball is about a man on man battle to hit a ball with a bat. If a pitcher is throwing grapefruit or a batter is in a slump, knowing the pitch won't help much. Also, the defense in baseball has really stepped it up.

I don't think the Astros deserve to lose a championship. If they didn't strip the Patriots of anything - just fine them and keep it moving.

You want to have a hotter debate about baseball. Let's discuss how Pete Rose should be in the HOF because IMO his skills as a player are not the same as his moronic decisions he made as a coach.
I agree 100% on that!
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I think it's a huge deal(some are saying the biggest scandal in baseball history) because of how blatant and effective it was. And I don't know much about baseball, but even I know that knowing whether every pitch is either a fastball or off speed consistently is a huge advantage because you know to react fast or wait and see if it's a slow pitch...Steroids, imo they either need to allow them or really crack down hard in every sport, either way leveling the playing field. And yeah Pete deserves to be in now, 30 years is enough and they're letting in known steroid users correct?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Frankierock
Omega Red

I wonder With Cole going to the Yankees now, if any more of this comes out. He signed for 9 years and he now has $324 million reasons to possibly spill some beans. This could be big since a lot of this did happen to the Yanks, and was well documented.
Frankierock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
supermetroid
Teen Titans

$1 Million per start, not too shabby lol
Old 01-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #7
supermetroid
Teen Titans

This is getting a lot of attention and people are digging deeper after the pretty harsh penalties. I have to say watching Altuve's Celebration for his walk off HR in the 2019 ALCS looks really suspicious, he's holding onto his shirt for dear life. Who knows how deep this goes, hopefully he wasn't involved...