Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

The New Punisher Book by Becky Cloonan . (minor spoiler)

So we have a woman writing The Punisher now, color me intrigued. Frank Castle has always been such a violent, testosterone rich character that I was very interested to read a female writer's take & we now have one w/ Becky Cloonan & Steve Dillon's approach. I've started every Punisher book since the great Garth Ennis' departure from the title, but never was able to stick w/ any new version. Ennis, I thought, ruined the future of the character for me. His Punisher was just so damn good. Well, Cloonan's Frank feels more than a little bit like the Ennis one. There still, however, are some cracks. This Disney owned Punisher comes w/ a Parental Warning on the cover & all bad language implied w/ this kinda stuff - &%%#@!!!. Ennis run included cussing, not as much as one would think, but it was there & added to the realism. Oh well, I get it, those days are long gone at Marvel. Still, Cloonan starts out pretty strong out the gate & the bodies pile up. I found it short-sighted on her part to intentionally send Castle into a huge fight scene w/o any body armor, wearing only his signature black tee. Made no sence. I'm a Dillon on The Punisher Fan, have been since the beginning. His art here, really takes me back.
Bottom line, I already think Cloonan's take has potential. More so that the last 7 or so writers have shown. W/ Ennis writing so many "other versions" of The Punisher for other companies, I do sorta wish he's just come home to Castle & pick up where he left off. He won't, I asked him, at least not for a while, so I'm hoping Cloonan's semi-strong start leads to some glory issues.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

I flipped through this at the shop and didn't know what to make of it. The parental advisory is on the cover, and there's death and gore all over the place... yet they have to censor the language?
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote