Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #24721
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
If you think Infinity War has too much humor then definitely avoid the Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of The Galaxy and Ant-Man movies. I found Infinity War to be relatively solemn compared to those. I've also come to realize the appeal of Infinity War is much higher if you have seen all of the previous MCU films--and liked them for the most part of course.
You NEED to have seen the other MCU films, otherwise you don't know half of what's going on or who many of the characters are. It's like saying you didn't like a book, but didn't bother reading half of the chapters.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #24722
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
You NEED to have seen the other MCU films, otherwise you don't know half of what's going on or who many of the characters are. It's like saying you didn't like a book, but didn't bother reading half of the chapters.
Which was the case in the above 4/10 rating.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #24723
ParisDean

Roma (2018) - A year in the life of a middle-class family's maid in Mexico City in the early 1970s.

This is the only 2018 release I've seen so far to which I'll give a perfect rating. A simple, beautiful story and seeing it on a proper movie screen really makes the cinematography shine. 10/10
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #24724
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Tales from the Hood - 8.5/10

what a great anthology horror movie, up there with the best of them IMO
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #24725
ParisDean

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) - Decades after her original visit, the magical nanny returns to help the Banks siblings and Michael's children through a difficult time in their lives.

If you like sugary sweet retro musicals then this film is for you. 6/10
Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #24726
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The Shape of Water - 6.5/10

To me Del Toro is the master at creating worlds/environments that captivate you. His attention to detail is unmatched in cinema today. The Shape of Water looks & feels wondrous! Unfortunately the narrative doesn’t match the beauty of it all or the great performances within. It’s all played a bit too straightforward for my tastes. It definitely would’ve benefited from a more mysterious approach or a some twists & turns. I had high hopes for this film but feel it’s a bit overrated to be honest. Really good but misses the mark on the overall package that would’ve made it great.

Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #24727
protector2814
Phoenix

Flight That Disappeared (1961) 6/10

Worth a watch if you happen to catch it on the boob, I found this oldie to be pretty intriguing in an early 60's manner. A flight from L.A. to DC is carrying 3 random scientists who, collectively, will one day be responsible for the development of a Beta-Bomb capable of destroying the entire world. Sure, they all are separately working on components of a "big one" but all believe it'll only be capable of leveling a city. For unknown reasons, we see the cockpit crew struggle with the plane continuing to rise mid-flight, ultimately obtaining a level of 50,000 feet where upon everyone passes out & the 3 scientists awaken to an eerie, between-time" trial. They're being tried for a future "end of the world" by the souls of men not born yet who may be, or may never be alive. Odd twilight-zone metaphysics come into play. But, let's just say that the egg-heads learn their lesson.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #24728
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

^ Sounds like an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 AM   #24729
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Cold pursuit 7/10 😁
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #24730
demonhunter
Kingpin

About 23 years ago, I watched the original anime on VCD.

I can still remember most of the story because it made such a deep impression on me as a kid. It was ultra ultra violent and very disturbing scenes and ideas about surgery.

I didn't go in with very high expectations, but this is really an anime come to life. The actors who play Hugo, Ido, and even the voice actress for Alita, were all amazing.

8/10 stars from me.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote