Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #41
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
These pieces are tremendously overpriced for what they are. I got a huge polystone dragon statue from Design Toscono that was hand-painted quite well for about $65 after coupon. Thing is like 25" tall and this was last year. Since there are few of these factories in China, I'm sure it was produced in one that also produces the $600 statues.
You can't compare that to a company like Koto and producing officially licensed Marvel Statues.

I would love to see pictures of this Dragon though.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:55 PM   #42
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
It's not what you say....

It's how you say it
Income isn't the issue. They are testing collectors to see the limit. Plain as day. Shame the 1/6th scale has been squandered the last 3-4 years.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #43
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGhostKnight View Post
You can't compare that to a company like Koto and producing officially licensed Marvel Statues.

I would love to see pictures of this Dragon though.
Forgive the horrible photos. I placed them behind a spoiler so it doesn't sully the main theme of this thread.

Spoiler

Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #44
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
These pieces are tremendously overpriced for what they are. I got a huge polystone dragon statue from Design Toscono that was hand-painted quite well for about $65 after coupon. Thing is like 25" tall and this was last year. Since there are few of these factories in China, I'm sure it was produced in one that also produces the $600 statues.
Yea I recently purchased two Warcraft statues (Illidan and Sylvanas) and they are large 1/6 pieces. REALLY heavy bases, intricate designs, and spot on paint jobs. Illidan's wings by themselves are semi-translucent and impressive. And I got them about $280-300 each. And seeing the quality on them I can imagine how much profit companies get in overpricing their statues. Too early to pass judgement on this Thanos but it's plain as day with the 1/4 pieces that SS trots out and their rising tags.

Impressive dragon BTW!
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #45
edgcastillo
Frackin!

How's Kotobukiya quality with these statues? I've owned a bunch of Koto's PVC anime figures and they were ok, but not close to others like Good Smile and MegaHouse.
edgcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:23 AM   #46
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgcastillo View Post
How's Kotobukiya quality with these statues? I've owned a bunch of Koto's PVC anime figures and they were ok, but not close to others like Good Smile and MegaHouse.
Sadly the Fine Art statues haven't been up to the quality of Bowen statues. The sculpting by Erick Sosa is amazing and they do display well alongside Bowens and vice versa, the Kotos being just a little larger in scale.

There have been some statues with terrible paint jobs (Cyclops, Brown Wolverine for instance) and others have been spot on. On average I would grade the Fine Art series a C to B grade when it comes to paints. Usually, the Koto PVC series, for whatever reason, seems to be better painted.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #47
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Saw this on a Tokyo con video recently. Looks pretty good, still that price tho.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:44 PM   #48
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I know this piece has gotten some mixed reception but this is now on Deep Discount IN STOCK (which is important) for $346.74. My shipping came out to $22.99 to the East Coast. I've had a miserable time with them concerning pre-orders but in stock items I've had no issues. Also there is one review on youtube search "kotobukiya thanos on throne".
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #49
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
I know this piece has gotten some mixed reception but this is now on Deep Discount IN STOCK (which is important) for $346.74. My shipping came out to $22.99 to the East Coast. I've had a miserable time with them concerning pre-orders but in stock items I've had no issues. Also there is one review on youtube search "kotobukiya thanos on throne".
Where's that at?

Saw the review...I like it. Not 480 like, but it's a cool piece...paint looks clean. Shading looks decent enough...think they have a winner here.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #50
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Where's that at?

Saw the review...I like it. Not 480 like, but it's a cool piece...paint looks clean. Shading looks decent enough...think they have a winner here.
Deep Discount is the name of the retailer.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote