Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #1971
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Google eyes and a string of bad QC with pieces like Rogue and the 1st Red Sonja are the reason why I quit buying Sideshow’s pieces for several years. I’m slowly buying more Sideshow pieces here and there again but I try to wait for in-hand pics and reviews if I can.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #1972
stone eagle
Justice League

Ah I wish for the olden days when there was no long term hyping of a figure/statue you had to wait for it to be on the store shelf and you saw it in person then decided to buy or not.....No comparison to a prototype so you bought it on your liking or not at the time based on room lighting and nothing under a microscope.
AKA what you see is what you get........
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #1973
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
people expect way too much from mass produced pieces. its a $570 mass produced statue not a $2000 extreme limited production statue. my payment plan just ended. im excited to get this piece even though it seems like the eyes might be a little off. its not like you constantly spend time just staring at the eyes. the overall look of the piece looks really good. cant expect prototype quality without a huge hike up in price
If that’s the stance, then they should stop showing the prototypes. It’s a constant issue for them.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #1974
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Non-googly eyes is expecting too much? No. Sorry, just no. If I can get non-googly eyes on a $80 bishoujo literally every time, I damn better be getting non-googly eyes on a $600 Sideshow piece.
LMAO
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #1975
batman1180
Captain Marvel

Quote:
people expect way too much from mass produced pieces. its a $570 mass produced statue not a $2000 extreme limited production statue. my payment plan just ended. im excited to get this piece even though it seems like the eyes might be a little off. its not like you constantly spend time just staring at the eyes. the overall look of the piece looks really good. cant expect prototype quality without a huge hike up in price
It’s sentiment like this that perpetuates sideshow not caring about the product they deliver. People realize we won’t be getting production piece quality, but asking for the basics like matching eye direction to be correct is far from “expecting way too much”.
batman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #1976
demonhunter
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Non-googly eyes is expecting too much? No. Sorry, just no. If I can get non-googly eyes on a $80 bishoujo literally every time, I damn better be getting non-googly eyes on a $600 Sideshow piece.
Well said.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #1977
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

The only way to adjust expectations is to show a production piece at SDCC or whenever an item is previewed. Don't let the professional painter present something that will most likely not be matched. At least not with a high degree of consistency. Sometimes it happens but most times it doesn't.

Of course that will never happen...
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #1978
chrismhk
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
The only way to adjust expectations is to show a production piece at SDCC or whenever an item is previewed. Don't let the professional painter present something that will most likely not be matched. At least not with a high degree of consistency. Sometimes it happens but most times it doesn't.

Of course that will never happen...
I agree. What they are doing is false advertising.
chrismhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #1979
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
people expect way too much from mass produced pieces. its a $570 mass produced statue not a $2000 extreme limited production statue. my payment plan just ended. im excited to get this piece even though it seems like the eyes might be a little off. its not like you constantly spend time just staring at the eyes.
Speak for yourself. If I notice something off with the eyes it becomes the only thing I will see when viewing the piece. I had this problem with the OG Catwoman and now every time I see it in my collection I find myself trying to convince myself that the eyes are looking in the same direction...

Quote:
cant expect prototype quality without a huge hike up in price
I don't think it is fair to say people are expecting prototype quality when they complain about eyes looking in different directions. Sideshow has hiked their prices considerably in the last few years and they are still having this issue. I mean, OG Rogue PF had eyes looking in different directions and this statue is nearly double the cost.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #1980
mva5580
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismhk View Post
I agree. What they are doing is false advertising.
Well, of course their response to that would be is that they put that "Item shown is a prototype. When shipped, the final production piece may differ in appearance." on every page.

Of course the problem is for them that when the great majority of people read that text, the first thing that comes to mind is that the design might change, not the level of quality.

It's just frustrating for a customer to order something (and I don't care what the cost is) based on a pristine creation, and then the one they actually get is essentially a ~95% (or whatever) facsimile.
mva5580 is offline   Reply With Quote