Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-01-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
unbounddreams
I am da law!

Worth getting?

Hello,

I am wondering if this is worth getting or investing into. I have no knowledge of airbrushing or airbrush painting. Can tell you just about anything concerning oil painting , but I would really appreciate advice or thoughts on this.

Airbrush Kit and Compressor on E-Bay

Thanks again,
-Jon
unbounddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Aslean
Frackin!

I'd say go for it. It's a pretty good beginner kit at a good price, and with a single and a double action airbrush, you've got plenty to learn with before you'll ever need to upgrade.
Aslean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
alienfactory
Doh!

The air compressor is the same as the one I own and it works pretty well. Not too noisy, not too heavy, quite silent... The airbrush I got from ebay is from http://cgi.ebay.com/H-34S-Precision-...QQcmdZViewItem

Without hesitation, go for it !

Gilles
alienfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I always like to tell people who are new to this to start off with a cheaper model so that you can ensure that they really want to airbrush. It's not as easy as it looks and supplies can be costly. It's also expensive to get a top of the line airbrush and a decent compressor. Get the cheapy, if you like it you can upgrade later on down the line and use what you bought for larger area painting......
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
unbounddreams
I am da law!

Awesome. I figure this would be nice investment to start out try. Of course there are other full kits for over $1,000, but I am not going that far...as of yet. Airbrushing is something I want to get into. For the most of painting statues/sculptures.

-Jon
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

First time airbrushing, its a good set up. I got a compressor like the one a year ago when my old one crapped out on me. Its very small, silent and works well for what i do. As for those airbrushes, they are cheap and the airbrush city is where you buy parts for them. Good starter brushes, since they are just like badger airbrushes.

i dont think you will like the 1404 PRO Single Action tho, its single action and more or less one of the cheaper $25 model badger brushes. The #1104-2007 Professional Dual Action is your basic badger 150 model, and is the better of the two. Just be carfull on this model and to make sure you clean it well after using. I own the 150 badger model, and if this airbrush city is anything like it. it will clog easily. But its dual action and thats what you want.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
unbounddreams
I am da law!

What is the difference between single and dual action? It is something I have been meaning to ask. Thanks for the info so far. Very helpful.

-Jon
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbounddreams View Post
What is the difference between single and dual action? It is something I have been meaning to ask. Thanks for the info so far. Very helpful.

-Jon
Simple terms to understand for being new at it:

Single Action - You push the level down for air flow and paint thickness to come out and thats it.

Double Action - You push the lever down and pull backwards for air flow and thickness of the paint flow. This gives you thin to thick line of paint to come out, with a heavy or light flow of air/paint depending on the postion of the level and the amount of pressure of air/paint.

When you get the brushes, just experiment on a piece of carboard to get a feel on how the paint flow works. Pratice going from a thin steady line of paint to a thick line. Write your name on the board etc..... Its how a professor taught me to use my airbrushes in college.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote