Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
superman4ever
Hydra

Unhappy Wonder Woman's Cracked Ankles

Hey everyone,

I don't know where this question should go so if it's in the wrong forum then please move.

Now to the question in hand. I recently bought a FS Tim Bruckner Wonder Woman statue (based on the art by Bolland). And when I got the item it seemed perfect, a couple of days later (2 hours ago) I take a closer look and there is on crack on each ankle. One is a small hair line fracture, the other is a little larger. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to repair the statue?

Right now I'm SO pissed I just want to sell it, and be rid of it, but I really LOVE this statue and was hoping there was something that I could do to salvage it. I have no idea how to go about it though and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I'll post pictures tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your time...
superman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 AM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Quickest way I can think of is to glue the hairline crack or fill it with aves, let dry then repaint boots as close as possible.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Daredevil
Man Without Fear

It is a very nice statue BUT it is plagued with ankle problems. I've seen a lot of these with broken ankles. I wonder why they didn't use pegs like the rest of the world.

I've sold mine (with good ankles) but avoided repurchasing it again because I might get one with bum ankles.
Daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
legato
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman4ever View Post
Hey everyone,

I don't know where this question should go so if it's in the wrong forum then please move.

Now to the question in hand. I recently bought a FS Tim Bruckner Wonder Woman statue (based on the art by Bolland). And when I got the item it seemed perfect, a couple of days later (2 hours ago) I take a closer look and there is on crack on each ankle. One is a small hair line fracture, the other is a little larger. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to repair the statue?

Right now I'm SO pissed I just want to sell it, and be rid of it, but I really LOVE this statue and was hoping there was something that I could do to salvage it. I have no idea how to go about it though and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

I'll post pictures tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your time...

Sorry to hear that bro. I think that's a pretty common problem for that particular statue. I saw one on sale for a hundred bucks at a LCS here in houston.
I did not really notice the defect until I inquired about it and the guy from the comic shop told me. BTW, where did you get it?
legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
superman4ever
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Sorry to hear that bro. I think that's a pretty common problem for that particular statue. I saw one on sale for a hundred bucks at a LCS here in houston.
I did not really notice the defect until I inquired about it and the guy from the comic shop told me. BTW, where did you get it?
Thank you guys for the response. I knew some of these had problems, just like the Aquaman.

I got it off ebay, and the guy who sold it to me packed it bulletproof style. When I took it out of the packaging, which took a while, and I was VERY careful...it was fine. I combed it over and I didn't notice a thing until last night.

Here's a pic:

Old 11-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
superman4ever
Hydra

Here's another damn shot!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
superman4ever
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil View Post
It is a very nice statue BUT it is plagued with ankle problems. I've seen a lot of these with broken ankles. I wonder why they didn't use pegs like the rest of the world.

I've sold mine (with good ankles) but avoided repurchasing it again because I might get one with bum ankles.
Like the Aquaman. It's the bloody base...it's too heavy to be one piece.

It's such an eye sore...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman4ever View Post
Like the Aquaman. It's the bloody base...it's too heavy to be one piece.

It's such an eye sore...
If it is the base, then it is breaking because ppl arent handling it properly (namely not handling it by the base)...would that not be a manufacturing defect but poor handling by the owner?

It's a shame to see this happen though- and REALLY sucks if this was sold to you as broken but never disclosed...
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
feste
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Nah, it's not handling that causes it to break; most of them are cracked in the exact same spots. Mine certainly was. There must be some pressure applied by the pose combined with mounted feet. I'm no expert, but I don't think handling has anything to do with it.
feste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
cblakey1
Cyclops

No, the weight of the base wears on the pressure points even when the statue is lying in the box. This was a big problem with Teen Titans GO! Raven and Starfire statues. When Starfire was shipped from Diamond, at bit more than 1/3 of them had broken ankles. LCS's had to snd them back. I sold mine on ebaY (I think to a statueforum member) and she was perfect when shipped and broken when she arrived to him. Thank God for insurance. This was also a huge problem with Muckle Lara Crofts. They tended to snap too. No matter how good the packaging is, the least bit of trauma-even being tossed or dropped by a postal carrier-causes just enough blunt force on the heavy end to snap it where it meets the thin and light side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Torment View Post
If it is the base, then it is breaking because ppl arent handling it properly (namely not handling it by the base)...would that not be a manufacturing defect but poor handling by the owner?

It's a shame to see this happen though- and REALLY sucks if this was sold to you as broken but never disclosed...
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote