Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-14-2022, 12:35 AM   #111
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
That?s after-the-fact PR once it was determined the Han carbonite needed to come in contact with Boba, which never happened in a movie scene and the only justification for it goes back to statue physics considerations. Or maybe it was really something like he was at a bar and a lightbulb went off, what if Boba Fett did the pickup artist lean on a table at a singles bar?
This is what he posted on FB. I don't think Sideshow has a history of after-the-fact PR. Generally, they present their pieces and don't respond or react to criticism. Not sure why this piece would be any different.

@sideshow 's Boba Fett and Han in Carbonite I designed and sculpted.
When designing a statue I will always do a photo shoot in which I get into the pose or explore poses I would like to see.
I also get into the pose many times in the sculpting process to feel/understand the body mechanics.
I really love how this one turned out. The sideshow team did an amazing job!!
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:26 AM   #112
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

So you’re saying you believe this pose was the end goal all along, correct? As in there was perhaps 10 different pose candidates, and this was the one that was narrowed down to be the best one? Putting this another way, do you believe Boba Fett would be in this pose if the Han carbonite wasn’t part of the statue? Personally, I would say it’s possible but not probable.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 02:10 AM   #113
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
So you?re saying you believe this pose was the end goal all along, correct? As in there was perhaps 10 different pose candidates, and this was the one that was narrowed down to be the best one? Putting this another way, do you believe Boba Fett would be in this pose if the Han carbonite wasn?t part of the statue? Personally, I would say it?s possible but not probable.
I believe this was Matt Black's vision, and Sideshow's engineering department made it happen. I don't have any reason to make it more complicated than that.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:35 AM   #114
Bubsy

Damn, you should be the White House press secretary or something.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:54 AM   #115
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I honestly don't know why it's so hard of a concept to grasp for some of you guys. The artist clearly had a vision, concept, and then engineered it.

There is no conspiracy.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:03 PM   #116
Bubsy

If you?ve ever taken a structural engineering course or even just remember a thing or two from basic physics, it?s exceedingly obvious this is the only pose possible (or some small variation of this unless a lot of unnecessary structure was used to lift up the carbonite) given the constraints. The carbonite floats because of the need to prominently exhibit it. If it was just placed behind Boba and not floating, with or without lean or not touching, it would effectively be blocked. If it was placed side to side or slightly to the side and behind, it would look stupid(er). So this is how we got here. A bad compromise for a statue concept that probably shouldn’t have been greenlit.

I know some of you are fans of SSC like Apple fans that never question anything and I give you that 95% of the statue design criticism on these forums are extremely subjective, but this one is a slam dunk as to what happened.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:05 PM   #117
DevGuy
The Spirit

People here calling the sculptor a liar have no evidence.

Also, his bulky jetpack is touching the carbonite and Boba is effectively leaning into both his jetpack and the slab. That's why his feet are so far forward.

Assuming the carbonite wouldn't move, looks fine.
DevGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #118
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Pretty sure he based the statue on his own pose, as he often does.

The carbonite is in a slight angle and it’s behind a wall giving support that it wouldn’t move. Matt should not have based his sculpt on that reference giving he does not have a jet pack on.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #119
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
I know some of you are fans of SSC like Apple fans that never question anything and I give you that 95% of the statue design criticism on these forums are extremely subjective, but this one is a slam dunk as to what happened.
I question Sideshow all the time. I just don't have anything to question with this piece, yet.

I don't think many collectors are taking into consideration structural engineering or physics. They either like the piece, or they don't.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:31 PM   #120
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
The carbonite is in a slight angle and it?s behind a wall giving support that it wouldn?t move. Matt should not have based his sculpt on that reference giving he does not have a jet pack on.
If he had a backpack on his feet would be even further away from Han, yet have the same angle of lean. It makes no difference.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote