Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #2071
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Nice, those are really great pieces! Oh yeah the PF's will fill it up quick. I've got two PAX units next on my list for my larger pieces.
Yeah, I need some PAX units for my 1/3’s and some Kallax units for my omnibus books.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #2072
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
I hear ya! I filled up one pretty quick too.

another great display being shown. I do love seeing other people's collections

also, I got some Kallax for my books (an 8 cube unit and a 4 cube unit) and I do like them alot. Now the 4 cube unit was easier to put together but the 8 cube unit was more time consuming and made me wish I would have purchased 2 more 4 cube units instead of the 8 cube one.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #2073
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
another great display being shown. I do love seeing other people's collections

also, I got some Kallax for my books (an 8 cube unit and a 4 cube unit) and I do like them alot. Now the 4 cube unit was easier to put together but the 8 cube unit was more time consuming and made me wish I would have purchased 2 more 4 cube units instead of the 8 cube one.
Oh, that’s good to know. I may go with the 4 cube unit then....
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 PM   #2074
mmk123

the cubes are a good size-I will let you know that they hold an Omnibus great and they will hold Absolute format books. However, with an Absolute format there is less than a 1/4 of an inch of room left above the Absolute when it is in the Kallax unit.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #2075
SkilledButton
Nightwing

I just finished mine this weekend. Used a pax with a custom sheet of acrylic (two sheets, I guess) and had them cut exactly to size. Instead of splicing the sliding door with frosted glass like the instructions, we just put the entire sheet in, left out the middle bars and it holds perfectly in place. I still need to install the shelves, and put in the rest of my statues but I wanted to see how much height we needed as a few pieces we have are fairly tall (XM dark Phoenix is almost 30 inches, for example). :/

If your average piece is a low 20 inches, you could probably fit quite a few on one of these, using 2 shelves on each. I will probably only go with one, as I have a smaller collection than most people. So far anyways lol 😁

Can't seem to get a good picture without glare but I'll try. Also not sure why my uploads always show sideways, they aren't uploaded like that... Anyways, I'm planning to pick up some of the new sideshow pieces (need a Wolverine, storm, maybe a few others) and hopefully this will give me enough space to get everything I need, along with what I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210228_110354867.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	137314   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210228_160557662.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	137315  
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:25 PM   #2076
ZatStackz
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Just set up a new Ikea Billy today.

Also using a Billy for my smaller statues. Looks like I have almost the same lighting as you as well. Mine has doors and I added weather strips to dust proof it. I lose a little display space in the middle, but I like the look and not dusting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b8Kx6mQ.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	137361  
ZatStackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 AM   #2077
Royalguard
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilledButton View Post
I just finished mine this weekend. Used a pax with a custom sheet of acrylic (two sheets, I guess) and had them cut exactly to size. Instead of splicing the sliding door with frosted glass like the instructions, we just put the entire sheet in, left out the middle bars and it holds perfectly in place. I still need to install the shelves, and put in the rest of my statues but I wanted to see how much height we needed as a few pieces we have are fairly tall (XM dark Phoenix is almost 30 inches, for example). :/

If your average piece is a low 20 inches, you could probably fit quite a few on one of these, using 2 shelves on each. I will probably only go with one, as I have a smaller collection than most people. So far anyways lol 😁

Can't seem to get a good picture without glare but I'll try. Also not sure why my uploads always show sideways, they aren't uploaded like that... Anyways, I'm planning to pick up some of the new sideshow pieces (need a Wolverine, storm, maybe a few others) and hopefully this will give me enough space to get everything I need, along with what I already have.
Awesome display? May ask what you use to keep the acrylic in place?
Royalguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #2078
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalguard View Post
Awesome display? May ask what you use to keep the acrylic in place?
Thanks!

It actually fits in perfectly with the pax sliding door, so we didn't end up having to do anything special to keep it in place (the door itself has a lip and ridge the plastic slides into, which keeps it in place automatically). In the instructions, it's supposed to be 4 individual sheets of glass but we didn't want bars straight across the pax at random places, which is why we used one solid piece of acrylic. Unfortunately the way the pax door is designed, you can't even cut it in half and put it in the center as the supporting braces are in thirds, no way to do it just half and half.

To be honest I was worried we would have to cut it or it wouldn't hold (Its fairly heavy) but it's very firm and it isn't going anywhere. I'm usually fairly paranoid about such things but this will last as long as the statues lol. Because the pax door frame goes all the way around the acrylic with that lip, it keeps it snug and there's no buckling even when you open and close the door.
Just need to make sure it's cut exactly to size (if you are really interested, I can dig up the email to the company that cut the sheets for me to get you an exact measurement).

It isn't a small project and you'd definitely want two days (and a friend) to install the pax and the sliding door but imo it's a nice cheaper alternative than moducases (which I love btw but didn't want to justify the 2k+ it could cost to get them, this setup cost me under half that including the acrylic).

There's definitely pros and cons to both though, like anything it depends what you are going for. Hope that helps!
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #2079
greenknight
The Spirit

I had a space problem I was struggling with for the last year or two. I recently came across this earlier post from SONICobra which helped me immensely: http://www.statueforum.com/showpost....postcount=1954

I have a large collection of comic books stored in long boxes (4 boxes high) in my statue room. I wanted to use the space above the comic boxes for statues since, in my mind, this is wasted space in a room where space is steadily dwindling. The easy solution would be to mount shelves on the wall behind the comic boxes. The problem is that the wall begins to slant inwards at about the 4 foot mark to accommodate the slope of the roof above (this room is on the 3rd floor of my house). So mounting shelves to a slanted wall that are wide enough to hold anything significant is out of the question.

Then I saw SONICobra's post and thought I could try something similar and build a freestanding shelf above the boxes. I used the same type of 3/4" pipe and Steeltek fittings along with two 1" x 30" x 6' finished melamine craft table tops. The fully assembled pipe framework ended up being a little over 12' long due to the additional size of the fittings, so I added a 5.5" spacer between the two tabletops to make up the difference.

I thought it turned out quite well and it allowed me to reclaim space that I wasn't sure I was ever going to be able to use. Big thanks to SONICobra for the idea!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210124_124309495.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	137413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_124325365.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	137414   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_161447196.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	137415   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210124_161501503.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	137416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210226_203236712.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	137417  

greenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #2080
mmk123

greenknight, I think that looks fantastic. It is a great use of space and Think it shows that it is possible to make a nice shelving unit and not have to spend a ton of money. Also, the statue display looks great.