Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #41
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
Really? I thought they did a great job - Not as good as Tarkin, but still looked just like a younger Carrie. The R1 Leia really does seem to divide people. you either like it or loathe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I think the fake CGI look affects some people more than others. Fortunately she had very little screen time, that's the best thing I can say about it. Tarkin on the other hand was diabolical and really ruined any immersion for me. It looks great when you look at screen shots of it, I've seen a split image of the Tarkin CGI morphed with Cushing and it was so close to the real actor. But when you put that CGI file on screen among real actors, and real sets, it all goes to pot big time.
I think the CGI for Cushing was well done but agree that it was obvious it was CGI when compared to the real actors. CGI has come a long way but it's still not quite there yet in terms of realism.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #42
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Well it's obvious it's CGI cause you don't live a an a vacuum. You know these actors are older or not with us anymore. If they created a CGI human and told no one then gave them the same amount of screen time a Tarkin or Leia like 99% of people would not have noticed.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #43
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander0Zero View Post
Well it's obvious it's CGI cause you don't live a an a vacuum. You know these actors are older or not with us anymore. If they created a CGI human and told no one then gave them the same amount of screen time a Tarkin or Leia like 99% of people would not have noticed.

I guarantee you people would notice. I certainly would, it isn't obvious that it's CGI simply because the actors portrayed are no longer with us. It's obviously because it stands out as looking very fake. Again, some people obviously have a better tolerance than others, so you may have been okay with it which is fine. For me however it was a total immersion killer, and I'm not alone. I wish they would stop doing it and just find ways to write around it. R1 didn't really need Tarkin, any new officer could have filled that role. It certainly didn't need Leia.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #44
ambasah
Red Skull

I don't mind they included them but I agree the difference was very noticeable.

I am sure 10 years from now we won't know the difference. It would be awesome to see Sir Alec Guinness again in a move : )
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #45
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I guarantee you people would notice. I certainly would, it isn't obvious that it's CGI simply because the actors portrayed are no longer with us. It's obviously because it stands out as looking very fake. Again, some people obviously have a better tolerance than others, so you may have been okay with it which is fine. For me however it was a total immersion killer, and I'm not alone. I wish they would stop doing it and just find ways to write around it. R1 didn't really need Tarkin, any new officer could have filled that role. It certainly didn't need Leia.
They made a calculation that for the vast majority the cgi wouldn't be of issue and in fact add to the movie. Also R1 didn't need Tarkin but it sure added to the story. In These one-off's people are going to look for these call backs. So I'm guessing you're going to see some more of this kind of CGI. Because frankly Star Wars movies are for the super casual Star Wars fans.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #46
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
They made a calculation that for the vast majority the cgi wouldn't be of issue and in fact add to the movie. Also R1 didn't need Tarkin but it sure added to the story. In These one-off's people are going to look for these call backs. So I'm guessing you're going to see some more of this kind of CGI. Because frankly Star Wars movies are for the super casual Star Wars fans.

I'm really not sure it is the vast majority that feel as you do about the CGI. Remember how big of a deal they made about the practical effects for the Force awakens (and how people didn't like the CGI character in that) They are aware that it is a talking point, and usually a negative one. It would be nice to see that go away as much as possible. And any current day actor could have added to the movie in place of CGI Tarkin, we'd always have him in ANH anyway.

Also, I just realised this is the PF thread, I thought we were in the movie section for some reason. I'll shut up about it now as it's way off topic for the subject in hand... Luke!
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #47
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Don't get me wrong Commander, I enjoyed the inclusion of the CGI Cushing and hope the studios do more with actors who are no loner here, but regardless of screen time it was noticeable almost immediately (at least to me) it Tarkin was CGI (even if I didn't know Cushing was dead)
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #48
haljordan99
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I came in here thinking there were new pictures and everyone is debating about CGI Tarkin, what the heck?
haljordan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #49
Raas Kaaz
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan99 View Post
I came in here thinking there were new pictures and everyone is debating about CGI Tarkin, what the heck?
yep Im with you on this !
Raas Kaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #50
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Don't get me wrong Commander, I enjoyed the inclusion of the CGI Cushing and hope the studios do more with actors who are no loner here, but regardless of screen time it was noticeable almost immediately (at least to me) it Tarkin was CGI (even if I didn't know Cushing was dead)
For me, I thought the CGI on Tarkin was really good, except for a few instances I couldn't tell. Now with Carrie Fisher it was more obvious to me, it might be because when they showed her the room was well lit up, where as Tarkin was always in a darker room.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote