Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #151
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor Man View Post
More PC crap. It's the age we live in and we'd better get used to it, because it's not gonna go away for quite awhile, if ever.

It's revisionist history that counts now.
PC crap? Maybe it's just me but I do recall a time where She-Ra was just as "strong" as He-Man and she doesn't have an ounce of muscle on her.

And this was over 30 years ago!

I personally find it refreshing that women are getting more attention today, aside from just their boobs and ass and looking good in a costume.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #152
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Giving women characters more attention is one thing, completely flipping the script on established characters and changing them from male to female and/or making established female characters something they've never been (in this case the most powerful character in the MCU) smacks of pushing a politically correct agenda to me.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #153
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

If Captain Marvel retained her Binary powers from the comics then she really would be the most powerful character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman View Post
I would think they mean strongest as in overall power set rather than brute strength. Kinda like how the Silver Surfer, with the Power Cosmic, is probably one of the strongest Marvel comics characters.
I'm thinking this is what Kevin Feige meant and he just misspoke. We'll see...
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #154
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Giving women characters more attention is one thing, completely flipping the script on established characters and changing them from male to female and/or making established female characters something they've never been (in this case the most powerful character in the MCU) smacks of pushing a politically correct agenda to me.
What you refer to as "politically correct agenda" I think is essentially focusing and serving the growing fan base of female readership, which in the last few years has skyrocketed to 46 percent of all comic readers. That's nearly half of the readership folks!

http://comicsbeat.com/market-researc...le-comic-fans/

It's not so much political as just plain smart business tactics to spur growth in your company...and what better way than to change it up and update their powers and roles in various books.

How can we have a frank discussion on the most powerful man or woman when one can't even name ONE book that was lead by a Marvel Super Hero Woman in early 2010?
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:37 PM   #155
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Marvel VP Discusses Studio’s Efforts to Address Gender Inequality
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #156
ParisDean

Movie directors announced:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ca...ck-1201994270/

Sugar is the only movie I've seen directed by the duo. I remember it being an excellent, underrated baseball film.

I also saw Half Nelson starring Ryan Gosling which they co-wrote which was great too.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #157
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post

I agree with your comments here, HB.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #158
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Does this strike anyone else as off base? I’ve been reading Carol’s stories for decades, since Ms. Marvel, throughout her Avengers history, in Alias and Jessica Jones. While I’ve not read her run since she became Captain Marvel, and I do agree she’s an incredibly strong willed, confident and commanding character, I never thought of her as “sassy” nor that her personality is right for comedy as, say, Spider-Man’s might be. Still, Thor’s not a comedic character and Ragnarok was a successful comedy, so I guess we’ll see.

https://www.newsarama.com/38891-capt...eenwriter.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #159
Gothamite
Phoenix

It's been the MCU's general direction, tho.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #160
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Does this strike anyone else as off base? I’ve been reading Carol’s stories for decades, since Ms. Marvel, throughout her Avengers history, in Alias and Jessica Jones. While I’ve not read her run since she became Captain Marvel, and I do agree she’s an incredibly strong willed, confident and commanding character, I never thought of her as “sassy” nor that her personality is right for comedy as, say, Spider-Man’s might be. Still, Thor’s not a comedic character and Ragnarok was a successful comedy, so I guess we’ll see.

https://www.newsarama.com/38891-capt...eenwriter.html
This direction is actually very much in line with the current Captain Marvel comics which have quite a bit of humor, particularly between her and Alpha Flight's Puck and Agent Abigail Brand.