Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
GaryTonge
Kingpin

XM Studios Electro Review

XM Studios Electro

YouTube Turn-around Video

Sculpt:
XM Studios have once again crafted an outstanding statue of one of Spiderman’s earliest villains and founding member of the Sinister Six. As with the other pieces in the XM Spider-man line, this statue features the classic themes of the original iconic costume, as well as modern tweaks to bring it up to contemporary standards.

I find this piece unique in that it straddles the line between diorama and traditional statue. For XM’s Electro, the base does so much more than simply provide a platform for the statue to stand on. It creates an environment for the figure to live in!

Figure:

Electro is portrayed here with a powerful stance as he grips cables from the 4 large transformers behind him. Daniel Bel gave Electro excellent muscle definition and muscle mass which gives the figure a super-villain quality to it.

Electro’s costume features ribbing to the suit and gauntlets. His belt is well sculpted with lightning bolts adorning each side of the buckle. There are sculpted folds in the costume and the lightning bolt pattern is raised, not simply painted on.

Both portraits are outstanding. I’m glad XM considered customer input with ensuring that the “masked” portrait was flared, not curved as shown in the early production pieces.

The expression of the unmasked portrait may be my favorite of the two. It goes exceptionally well with the pose of the figure.
For both head sculpts the details such as the teeth, tongue, veins among other features are done flawlessly.

Base:

As I noted earlier, “base” is probably not the most accurate term when describing the platform for this statue. I prefer to think of it more as an environment.
From the diamond plate design of the floor, to the meticulously detailed “power pole” at the back, there is so much visual interest in the environment for this statue.
The sculpted power cables on the periphery of the base add to the theme and overall detail of the piece.

Score: 10/10

Paint:

As we’ve come to expect from XM, a practically flawless paint job with exquisite details!

Clean paint lines throughout for the various costume elements and portraits. The colours used are accurate to the source material although I personally would have preferred a slightly more saturated yellow for the costume and mask.

For the base, once again clean paint lines throughout. This is especially impressive considering the power pole at the back features dozens of painted “cables” that must have taken hours to do.

The transformers have a nice metallic paint application to them and the diamond plated floor give the appearance of being worn and weathered.

Score: 9.8/10

Design:

An epic design by the team at XM Studios and Daniel Bel! I can’t imagine Electro in a more fitting posse or setting. Flanked by power transformers and with his maniacal pose, you really get the sense of Electro absorbing power from the cables in his hands. The composition of the piece with the transformers sitting at an angled position and Electro with his energized pose gives the piece a dynamic and exciting feel to it.
The use of rubber cables for the transformers was an excellent decision by XM. Leaving the positioning of the cables up to the owner of the piece allows for each XM Electro to have a touch of uniqueness to it.

Score: 10/10

Production and Build Quality:
Excellent production and build quality overall. My only gripe is that I wish XM would have used magnets for the 4 large transformers. They’re held in place with pegs and gravity, but I think magnets would give that extra bit of security to ensure that they don’t move or wobble.

Score 9.8/10

Overall:

The XM Electro is a wonderful addition to the already exceptional XM Spider-man rogues gallery. If you’re a Spider-man fan, you owe it to yourself to get this piece into your collection. The sculpt, paint and production of this piece puts it among the best pieces released this year.
I’m not going to lie; this has been my most anticipated statue for a long time (as of writing this review, Electro is still my avatar). I’ve been smitten with the statue since the original renders and then finally falling in love after seeing the full reveal at SGTCC last year. This statue easily ranks among my top three pieces. I’m so happy that XM decided to do a 1/4 scale Electro, but not only that, to do one so exceptionally well!

Overall Score: 9.9/10
GaryTonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Love this statue. From head to toe, this one is just darn beautiful. Fans are going to be thrilled to add this one to their collection. XM has another hit on their hands.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
I don't know Gary...these XM statues just look like plastic toys....BAH...I pay no attention to ignorance!

This statue looks like pure 100% golden exquisite excellence. I shall be receiving mine on Monday. Electro has always been my most favorite Spidey villain due to his immaculate costume. Im a sucker for that headpiece. Grats on one of the best statues of a Marvel comic character to have ever been made.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

Nice review and pictures, congrats Gary!
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Damnit Gary just give it the 10/10!
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
XMAN
Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I agree......

Great review btw
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Love this statue. From head to toe, this one is just darn beautiful. Fans are going to be thrilled to add this one to their collection. XM has another hit on their hands.
It's absolutely phenomenal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I don't know Gary...these XM statues just look like plastic toys....BAH...I pay no attention to ignorance!

This statue looks like pure 100% golden exquisite excellence. I shall be receiving mine on Monday. Electro has always been my most favorite Spidey villain due to his immaculate costume. Im a sucker for that headpiece. Grats on one of the best statues of a Marvel comic character to have ever been made.
Definitely! Thanks for checking it out Loric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
Nice review and pictures, congrats Gary!
Thanks Grumpy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
I agree......

Great review btw
Lol. I know. I was afraid of being called a fanboy.