Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #91
Superhero
The Spirit

If this wasn't Joss Whedon (I'm a huge fan) or Marvel, I would think this is the stereotypical misunderstanding of comic fan's wants and desires that has been prevalent in Hollywood forever. Cliched characters, goofy humor, predictable plot and a little cartoony.

What a terrific disappointment. It has promise but it needs to get some weight and pathos quickly because I don't like any of the characters so far. Coulson just barely makes it because I liked him in the movies but from the show he was just OK.

Think what a great premise the show could realize. Today's world where aliens and superheroes are real. Gods exist and walk the earth. Monsters roam free and hide within human looking bodies just waiting for the right trigger to unleash a wave of desolation and body count. What would a world like that be to live in. How would regular humans and governments respond. What kind of new terrors or miracles could exist. This is the story I wanted to see. Instead I got silly, campy, predictable, dumbed down, poorly acted, wasted potential.

Understand I liked Buffy a lot. Loved Angel and really liked Firefly but most importantly, I adored Avengers. I thought they finally did the almost impossible with that movie by bringing the characters I grew up with to life and honored all their history. I expected more.

Finally, it is clear to me that the sole called "expert" critics are still stuck in the mindset that comic books and associated entertainment should be more like the 60's Batman TV show or they aren't good. On the other hand, if it draws more fans to comics and that type of entertainment its great but I will remain part of the dedicated group of fans that wants a great superhero show that doesn't need to be dumbed down to be enjoyed.
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #92
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
If this wasn't Joss Whedon (I'm a huge fan) or Marvel, I would think this is the stereotypical misunderstanding of comic fan's wants and desires that has been prevalent in Hollywood forever. Cliched characters, goofy humor, predictable plot and a little cartoony.

What a terrific disappointment. It has promise but it needs to get some weight and pathos quickly because I don't like any of the characters so far. Coulson just barely makes it because I liked him in the movies but from the show he was just OK.

Think what a great premise the show could realize. Today's world where aliens and superheroes are real. Gods exist and walk the earth. Monsters roam free and hide within human looking bodies just waiting for the right trigger to unleash a wave of desolation and body count. What would a world like that be to live in. How would regular humans and governments respond. What kind of new terrors or miracles could exist. This is the story I wanted to see. Instead I got silly, campy, predictable, dumbed down, poorly acted, wasted potential.

Understand I liked Buffy a lot. Loved Angel and really liked Firefly but most importantly, I adored Avengers. I thought they finally did the almost impossible with that movie by bringing the characters I grew up with to life and honored all their history. I expected more.

Finally, it is clear to me that the sole called "expert" critics are still stuck in the mindset that comic books and associated entertainment should be more like the 60's Batman TV show or they aren't good. On the other hand, if it draws more fans to comics and that type of entertainment its great but I will remain part of the dedicated group of fans that wants a great superhero show that doesn't need to be dumbed down to be enjoyed.
Great post!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #93
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

I had to miss last night's pilot, so I can't comment on my own thoughts yet. I've heard good and bad reports on this show so far though, I'm a bit crest fallen reading the reviews so far in this thread. I've had such high hopes for this series too.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #94
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

4 Ways to Improve ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’
http://screenrant.com/agents-of-shie...rs-discussion/
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #95
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I thought it wasn't bad. It always takes me a few episodes to really get into a Joss Whedon series though and I've liked them all in the end.

It was nice to see Whedon alumni J. August Richards (Angel) and Ron Glass (Firefly).
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #96
protector2814
Phoenix

Far from impressed w/ the 1st episode. It felt like an ABC tv show. Full of pretty people, quick w/ a zinger or quip, no one over 40 seems to exist. I hate the fact that it seems to exist in the MU, but barely. References made to movies, but not much else. Couldn't the enemy team at least be a familiar name? The corvette did seem clichéd & "borrowed" from Back to the Future. Nothing fresh whatsoever.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #97
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

At least Coulson is back from the dead.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #98
Teague
Iron Man

Haven't seen this yet, but have it on TiVo. Still looking forward to it, but I have to say, I'm bummed that so many here were disappointed. If they can't win the comicbook faithful, who's their audience?

I don't know--even if it's been a rough start, I'm willing to give it at least a season to see if it grows legs. It's a Marvel comics series on TV--we haven't seen that for more than 30 years! And pilots are notoriously tough.

Still hoping!
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #99
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
no one over 40 seems to exist.
Agent Coulson is 51 and Agent May is 49.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #100
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

They should make a show starring Hawkeye and call it "Bow".