Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #1
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

How bad was Holy Terror ????

Thought Bubble, an english comic con, invited Frank Miller as a comics creator and all the hell break lose... People started to boycot the con, even other creators started to boycot the con, saying they will not attent until Frank Miller is dropped.

When did Frank Miller become such a controvesial name ? Was it Holy Terror comics ? I haven't read it yet.

Do you think i'm a nut case ? becasue you know my profile name is The Dark Knight and i have The Dark Knight Returns cover as avatar ? i didn't know Frank Miller turned in to such a controversial name. May be i should change my profile name and picture ? I don't want to offend anyone...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
Bottled_Water
Birdman

As far as I know (and that isn't much), Holy Terror was argued to be Islamopohobic. This quote is taken from Wikipedia: "not to put too fine a point on it, a piece of propaganda... Superman punched out Hitler. So did Captain America. That's one of the things they're there for." This book was written after 9/11, so one can assume what the subtext was. Afterwards, people looked over his previous work with a fine tooth comb and didn't like his depiction of women, usually written as either sex workers or being raped/murdered (which I can agree with a little).

He's simply a product of his time and people are not comfortable with that so they label him as being bad.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
Mister H
Green Goblin

Keep your avatar DK.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #4
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Didn’t Frank Miller originally envision holy terror to be a Batman story but DC rejected it?
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
qz33
Rescue

WGAF what people want to believe...

oh wait sorry I mean "think"
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Yeah, there was a talk of Batman: Holy Terror by Frak Miller for a while, even Stan Lee was against it though... He said something like ''The days of using comics for propaganda is over.'' and Stan The Man didn't want it to happen.

It seems DC really rejected Miller's Batman project since he went on without Batman.

Seeing support for Miller from you 3 is nice, may be Miller should go to a Muslim country and visit some Mosques. He is always welcomed in Turkey. (: I really don't want this to sign my Miller comics, it's all for Miller's own good... HA HA !
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

FM's political views were quite evident in his writing. No surprise that countries who (appear to) espouse inequality and intolerance would take exception.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
Augen
The Hulk

I mean, it is a pretty bad book on its own and would have been quietly forgotten if done by thousands of lesser known creators. Miller was highly influential in the 80s and into the 90s, but like many creators his schtick wore thin at a point. Personally, I've never been crazy about his art direction and the themes do feel very on the nose. Frank isn't subtle and tends to have a more high contrasted morality to his stories.

I get the Dark Knight, but even his Batman All Stars (with excellent Jim lee art!) run felt so...grizzled and angry that it wasn't for me. Batman swearing and making Robin eat vermin? Not my cup of tea.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #9
Gravitron
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
May be i should change my profile name and picture ? I don't want to offend anyone...
This is the stupidest post I've ever read.
Gravitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Gravitron
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
FM's political views were quite evident in his writing. No surprise that countries who (appear to) espouse inequality and intolerance would take exception.
Frank is the f*cking BOMB.
No one likes you. Drop dead you stupid leaf.
Gravitron is offline   Reply With Quote