Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 02-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Dahwaf
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Wonder Woman PF by Sideshow Collectibles

Wonder Woman Premium Format Figure EX – Sideshow Collectibles
Designed by Kris Anka, Zane Yarbrough and Frank Pepito.
Sculpted by Steven Schumacher.
Painted by Kat Sapene.
Stands at approximately 25.5” high.
Limited edition size: EX 3500, Regular 6000.
RRP: $399.99 USD

Intro.
Wonder Woman has had a huge rise popularity recently. She’s been one of the few, consistently great comics from the New 52 initiative and Gal Gadot has recently been cast to play her for the first time in a live action movie. Not to mention, she’s one third of the DC Trinity. With all this fan interest, it’s inevitable that Sideshow would add her to the DC line.

Easily one of the most recognisable icons in pop culture, Wonder Woman has had a long history, representation female strength and leading the charge in the rise of feminist comics. With so much history and relevance behind her, Sideshow had a huge task to incorporate such an iconic hero into a single, defining statue.

Sculpt. 8.0.
The scultpwork is quite extravagant on this one. It is, however, well done. The armour looks great and her face looks fierce. I have had friends mention her face is rather masculine, but I haven’t really noticed that.

Her hair is also wonderfully detailed. It looks great flowing out with the wind. However, the downside to the flowing is that the hair is quite fragile and prone to breakage. Be careful when assembling it!

The base is also detailed nicely, looking light a real battlefield. The base design seems a bit odd though – more on that in the “Design” section.

Paint and Mixed Media. 7.0.
Being a fully sculpted, it’s important the paintwork is up to scratch. The work is here is mostly good. Flesh tones are nice and even, and her hair looks great.

The colours of her armour are quite muted. They seem rather dark when I think it would have benefitted from more vibrant tone.

Her eyes look spectacular though. They’re a really nice, piercing blue. (And they came out straight!)

Design. 6.0
Ultimately I think there were some odd choices made with her design. Initially, I really liked the pose and spear. Now it just seems like big statue for the sake of being big.

The base design is also quite extravagant, again, for the sake of being extravagant. I understand they needed to raise her up to make her in line with Batman and Superman, but then she’s in a mid-battle pose that it would seem weird posing the three of them together. It also looks like a Greek-pillar, which makes sense given Wonder Woman’s origins, but it does look odd that there’s all this sand/dirt or whatever on top of a pillar. The more I stare, the more I realise it really is a terribly ugly base.

All in all, I think it could have benefited from a museum-styled pose like Superman.

Production and Build Quality. 5.0
Perhaps one of the more controversial Sideshow pieces of late, Wonder Woman seems to have issues left right and centre. Ranging from chips and broken hair to paint smudges and pieces not fitting flush into each other. (Just check out the Wonder Woman thread in the Sideshow section if you don’t believe me!)

My piece is mostly problem free. Mostly. The axe-wielding arm doesn’t fit completely into her body, so there’s a small black gap between her arm and gauntlet. There’s also paint glob in her underarm and a chip in her arm holding the shield. Most of these aren’t too noticeable, but if you’re a collector who is very picky with what they get, you might want to stay away from this piece.

Another issue with this piece is the pegs. I’ve always felt magnets worked better when fitting pieces together. Wonder Woman is all pegs though – 5 pieces all up at a time. This may not seem like a big deal, but none of the pieces feel very secure in their place.

Ultimately, however, the statue does feel quite cheap. The base is very light, and the various parts of this statue are quite flimsy and feel like they’re going to snap at any moment.

Overall. 6.5.
What was once an incredibly anticipated piece has somehow lost its appeal. The sculptwork is quite impressive – she does have quite a big presence – but there are some design and structural flaws that keep this from being the defining Wonder Woman statue that it should have been.

I can’t speak to how she displays with Superman and Batman since I own neither of them, but she is powerful enough that she will look good on her own.

Dahwaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Dahwaf

Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
dechirico7
The Flash

Wow, your portrait really came out spectacular. Mine had incomplete eye decals on top of all my other issues. If you got a good one, consider yourself extremely lucky. Great review.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #4
COI

Great review.

The QC issues and build quality on this piece are extremely frustrating. This should have been one of the crown jewels of the DC line, and not a case of "it's nice if you get lucky".
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Great pics. The best I've seen so far of WW.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #6
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Good through review. Definitely some ligitmate comments on production quality issues. If I paid $400 for a set of dinner plates, chips and scratches would be unacceptable and they should be unacceptable here too. It's quite annoying how poorly the factory handles the parts during manufacturing.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Excellent review. Although I might not agree with the final score, I see your points of contention. I don't think I have ever seen Sideshow's ratings among consumers at this low. Sadly, the company has become the object of puns and jokes all over the web. It is really dissapointing but who can blame costumers for voicing their dissatisfaction? After all, it is their right.

Some might argue that not all the pieces carry the same defects, but this is not a game of Russian roulette. People are paying some serious cash for some serious art. If prices need to go up to maintain quality control, so be it. Cutting corners to minimize cost, to raise production and to maximize profits it is not the way to go. At least from an art collector's perspective.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
adee
Green Arrow

Nice review Dahwaf. Personally I'd give her a higher score as I think the sculpt is excellent but I agree with some of the engineering and material flaws.

Is your piece flush on the base? Seems she has a considerable lean.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
Dahwaf

Thanks for the comments guys! I enjoy reading your own thoughts on pieces - really helps fuel some interesting discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Good theough review. Definitely so ligitmate comments on production quality issues. If I paid $400 for a set of dinner plates, chips and scratches would be unacceptable and they sould be unacceptable here too. It's quite annoying how poorly the factory handles the parts during amanufacuring.
Totally agree. It's a shame because it still looks quite good and it has a great sculpt and paintjob, but it's just not there quality-wise.

I think with the build quality, the only comparison I can make is when I think of knock-off bags or something. Sure, it could look like a Gucci or Prada, but when you get close you can feel that it's cheap and poorly made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Excellent review. Although I might not agree with the final score, I see your points of contention. I don't think I have ever seen Sideshow's ratings among consumers at this low. Sadly, the company has become the object of puns and jokes all over the web. It is really dissapointing but who can blame costumers for voicing their dissatisfaction? After all, it is their right.

Some might argue that not all the pieces carry the same defects, but this is not a game of Russian roulette. People are paying some serious cash for some serious art. If prices need to go up to maintain quality control, so be it. Cutting corners to minimize cost, to raise production and to maximize profits it is not the way to go. At least from an art collector's perspective.
I have to admit even I'm surprised I gave it a low score, I think some people might feel the 'Design' section should have a higher score. It's weird, because when I first saw it I absolutely loved the design and pose, but I still wanted to be absolutely sure - so much so that I actually waited 6 months before I finally pressed that 'Pre-Order' button.

But for some reason, in person, it's just a little flat to me. I don't get the same sense of personality as the Catwoman PF or even the strength of the Superman PF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
Nice review Dahwaf. Personally I'd give her a higher score as I think the sculpt is excellent but I agree with some of the engineering and material flaws.

Is your piece flush on the base? Seems she has a considerable lean.
Yeah it's really weird. She sits perfectly fine and is completely still, but because of the angle of the design, she does look like she leans in the photos. Unless I'm just failing to notice the lean in person.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Great review! Sometimes it's tough to give a piece you just waited a year for and spent good money on a somewhat lower score, so kudos for writing an honest assessment.

Also, great pics!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote