Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #6591
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
Looking good Col! Your stuff always seems to arrive way before mine Breakage aside, are you happy with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Dude, I'm not arguing with you. Just offering an explanation as to why this statue might not scratch the KPH itch for some people. You consider the image I posted awkward -- and I understand your reasoning -- but clearly not everyone feels the same. I still agree this is the best Jungle Hunter statue ever made and will be for some time. I also think the pose in that image looks very natural precisely because it's like something a man would do. It feels less like a creature performing for the camera and more like something just existing.

This is all subjective stuff. It's never case closed. We can talk objectively about sculpt, proportion, and surface detail, but body language, gesture, and attitude are so open to interpretation. There are 15 year-old statues with soft sculpts or poor paint apps that compel me more than current ones simply because they capture the character in a way that matters to me. Maybe there's a personality to those pieces that speak to my idiosyncratic views. It's art at the end of the day. This sort of talk comes with the territory.

I just worked through 130 pages and your back and forth on this stood out to me. I'll just take a minute to back you up here seeing as you were pounced on I fully agree and understand what you mean. I love this statue, it's the best JH ever made imo. But I posted very early on that maybe P1 could consider relaxing the arms and legs a little. This isn't because it looks bad or anything, it looks great. And while there are undoubtedly examples of the suit limiting him or even looking awkward at times, KPH had a very lose way of performing, almost feminine at times and that is not displayed in this statue (As amazing as the details are) The City hunter is even more guilty of this, they look more like body builders in pose rather than the subtly nuanced KPH. Again, not a complaint, this statue is phenomenal, but I hear you!

Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #6592
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I didn?t know that economy shipping was like that. I don?t know if Prime 1 declares things full value when they ship or not.
You don't have to pay duty for economy with p1 either, it mentions it on their site even

"We also have a budget-friendly option available. If you choose Economy shipping, expect the product to arrive in your country by sea freight within 3 to 4 months. While it may take a while to arrive, one benefit of this shipping method is that we can cover customs taxes. Please note that not every country has Economy Shipping available to them.".

Can't say for UK/EU though but yeah I know a lot of sites saying that when they ship freight/rail there is no customs charge. But never direct "express" shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
How much cheaper, or not, will depend entirely on where you live. I had to pay $260 sales tax and a marked up $250 through SF. To me, $510 was still a safer bet than risking no sales tax, and likely crazy P1 shipping for 3 large boxes. Nevermind dealing with P1 CS in case there is an issue, vs Todd and his local repair people. I have yet to find a US based retailer for this kind of stuff that doesn't do enough business in CA and can avoid colelcting CA sales tax from me.

I really don't understand how import taxes work in CA USA. I've had pieces with declared values well over $1K come in directly from China... I don't think I've ever paid an import tax/duty. I wouldn't even know how/where to do that.
You should look up use tax, technically you owe it but it's not uncommon for it to not be paid cause it's something you are supposed to report. My state poked me about it when customs reported something high value once. State use/sales tax is different than customs duty though which is supposed to be something like 3% on anything over $800 but I've had multiple occasions where stuff close to that went through fine, only ever became an issue on something significantly higher for me.
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:43 PM   #6593
SDguy

I guess "high value" is relative. I'm sure if I import a $100K car people will surely take more notice than when I import a $3K statue
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 06:58 PM   #6594
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I guess "high value" is relative. I'm sure if I import a $100K car people will surely take more notice than when I import a $3K statue
High value compared to the limit ;p
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:06 AM   #6595
Phart007
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Hi guys, I know I haven't been around in forever, but I am alive. I've just been busy with work and lost the bug for a few months there as we all do. I have a lot of catching up to do here, probably fifty+ pages at a guess (EDIT - 130+ pages!) I will do that shortly.

But I am curious if anybody has received these from Secret compass yet? And more specifically if anybody in the UK knows the exact shipping rate I should expect. I'm still very much waiting for mine, I messaged Shane the other day and he said they are receiving them slowly and shipping them out...
Yay, he’s back !

Still nothing from Shane either bud, I ordered mine around the same time as you did. At this rate we’ll probably the last few on the planet to receive it.
As much as I want this in the collection, I’m dreading the shipping cost of those 3 massive boxes, I’ve been paying just under $200 recently for 2 1/4 scale piece’s from the US ( 1 from Shane & 1 from Specfiction), so god knows what a 30kg 1/3 is going to cost.
Phart007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:31 AM   #6596
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phart007 View Post
Yay, he?s back !

Still nothing from Shane either bud, I ordered mine around the same time as you did. At this rate we?ll probably the last few on the planet to receive it.
As much as I want this in the collection, I?m dreading the shipping cost of those 3 massive boxes, I?ve been paying just under $200 recently for 2 1/4 scale piece?s from the US ( 1 from Shane & 1 from Specfiction), so god knows what a 30kg 1/3 is going to cost.
Thank you, at least I'm not alone. I think I paid $800 shipping for my 1/3 Big chap from SC. That came in two huge boxes. But I'd hope shipping prices have dropped a bit since then. I am really torn about ordering the Berserker also on a payment plan to make the cost sting less. But that will depend on how much shipping costs on the JH, how impressed I am with it in person and how their Wolf turns out. I really don't think I want more than two of these huge centrepieces. I should probably find a suitable display case for this actually...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #6597
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
I just worked through 130 pages and your back and forth on this stood out to me. I'll just take a minute to back you up here seeing as you were pounced on I fully agree and understand what you mean. I love this statue, it's the best JH ever made imo. But I posted very early on that maybe P1 could consider relaxing the arms and legs a little. This isn't because it looks bad or anything, it looks great. And while there are undoubtedly examples of the suit limiting him or even looking awkward at times, KPH had a very lose way of performing, almost feminine at times and that is not displayed in this statue (As amazing as the details are) The City hunter is even more guilty of this, they look more like body builders in pose rather than the subtly nuanced KPH. Again, not a complaint, this statue is phenomenal, but I hear you!

Well stated Python. KPH really added a unique style of movement to the predator that the average viewer probably wouldn't pick up on immediately.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:07 PM   #6598
Blade3327
Nightwing

Quote:
YES, exactly. There's a lightness, a looseness as you said, to the way KPH moves. Indeed feminine at times. Gives the creature an elegant, otherworldly body language and helps it feel less performative.

Boy, what I would give to see a sculpt as accurate as this in a contrapposto. Just chillin'.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:31 PM   #6599
SDguy

While I understand and see what people are saying here about the sculpt/pose/proportions... whatever you want to specify (I was one of the first to comment on it in this thread), I can see a 5% chance of P1 nailing all of it, and a 95% chance of ending up with 100 memes of Predator looking like he's performing in a musical. So, all things considered, I'm still happy with how they went with this.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 05:36 PM   #6600
Jungle Demon
Hydra

ballerina Predator
Jungle Demon is offline   Reply With Quote