Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I finally did it!

Hi guys,

I hope you are doing well ion these unusual and challenging times?

I have been thinking about it for years literally and this week I finally did it: I have thrown away a substantial part of the boxes of the statues in my collection.
It was not an easy decision to take since I realize that by doing so transporting the statues if I ever decide to move, will be a major pain and something I have to consider carefully.
Furthermore it is also clear that the value of a statue without a box is substantially lower than the value of a statue with box meaning that the worth of my collection in money, is all of a sudden much lower.

It was also not easy to do since many of the boxes are little pieces or art which I really appreciated and valued.

Still I have done so and the strangest thing is that now that I have done so I do not feel regret but only relief and happiness caused by the space which has been freed and cleared at home.
I do not have a big house so the enormous number of boxes were not only eating up space but they also started to limit the amenity and liveability at home.
I love my statues but started to feel down by the fact that I saw boxes everywhere at home: under my bed, in my closets, in my shed.

Now that I have thrown them away, it feels like I am rediscovering my home again.
Before throwing the boxes away I thought about putting my boxes in a paid storage facility but the costs for hiring sufficient space for even just half of my boxes, would be considerable on an annual basis.

Perhaps I will regret throwing away the boxes in the future and perhaps i will decide to throw away even more boxes in the future (some of my boxes are stored on the attic of my parents' house)
For the moment I am however a happy camper and happy that I finally took the decision to do it.

What do you think?
Have you ever considered hrowing away your boxes as well or is this something you would never do?

Take care and stay safe!

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
Mister H
Gen 13

Well, you sound pretty relieved. Sounds like a good decision.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Well, you sound pretty relieved. Sounds like a good decision.
+1
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I have thought about throwing out the styrofoam and keeping the art boxes. Still have not done it though. LOL

I have recently sold a few statues that I thought i would keep forever so probably a good thing I did keep them all.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
ukshaun
Hercules

I have lost one whole room to boxes. They are stacked floor to ceiling.
I can't bring myself to part with them. I know i will move in the future, and transporting statues requires boxes.
The value aspect is an interesting one, as i doubt i will ever sell any of my statues
Should i ever be in the position to say i am in my forever home, only then would i consider getting rid of the boxes. Even then. i'd hang onto the Hot Toys boxes, as they are a work of art.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

You sound happy with your decision and that is all that matters. Now the question .... what are you going to do with the space you have freed up?

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Once my set up is complete I may do the same. It's gonna be hard though.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi guys,
it sure was not an easy decision (my heart said no but my mind said yes) but you are right that I am pretty relieved at the moment.
I have lost the boxes but have gained increased amenity and space at home.
Finally I am for example able to take out the BBQ set without having to wrestle a couple of big boxes out of the way first.
That feels invaluable and liberating and I just love it.
At the same time I realize as a collector that I might regret getting rid of boxes in the future.

That being said I have no plans of moving in the foreseeable future and certainly do not plan to sell any of my statues (They are mine, all mine!'' as Gollum could have said ) so for now it feels like a win-win situation for me.

Perhaps one day statue companies will invent something foldable styrofoam or boxes which you can return to the statue company after you have unpacked your statue and rent again when you need them (for example when you are going to move).
That would take away much of the burden of the big styrofoam boxes which take up lots of space and continue to do so for many, many years without you actively using them.

Rainer
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

How many boxes did you throw away?
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #10
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Nope, can’t do it.