Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #41
AlwaysAlien
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ View Post
Yeah that's why I rarely ever buy used statues from eBay anymore. Sellers are usually trying to dump a piece that they nicked or damaged while posting three sentence descriptions with barely any pics but the production pictures. That's why I just try to get all my statues Brand New.
Yep, I completely 100% agree with this! My problem is that as I'm fairly new to the statue world (always collected the 'toys' (neca, mcfarlane etc)) and you can't buy the older ones new anymore. Now I am collecting statues I will only be buying from new with the option of replacement parts/items directly from the manufacturer/distributor when they are not perfect.

I am pretty much totally done with ebay due to the 100% issue problem! - with the exception of the last couple of remaining pieces I want to find that I missed out on in the past. It is almost / pretty much impossible to find a perfect item as sellers are not as observant or simply cover up issues to get a sale. I have been lucky with the item I purchased as the seller seems to be genuinely awesome after much discussion (they are also a collector and they were hesitant about selling in the first place so they don't mind taking the item back for their collection (I kept it in exactly the same condition as received). I am still so gutted that the item wasn't perfect as I think this one beats the hell out of the upcoming Coolprops one (although again that's a matter of preference and that is my preference). If anyone in the UK has a perfect Sideshow big Chap Maquette and would be willing to sell it to me for the same / a very similar price to what I paid for this one I am definitely interested and would collect in person if not too far from my location! .
AlwaysAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #42
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAlien View Post
Regarding this, I have never received an item via ebay that was as 100% as described (not once), every one has very slightly (or significantly) more damage or marks than in the description. e.g. I purchased a Palisades alien warrior that the seller said had a tiny bit missing from the tip of the tail (I thought that was ok as I had purchased another one from a different seller that was also way more damaged than described but the tail was complete (with a tiny crack in it) so thought I could amalgamate the 2. Then when it arrived it had a crack in the elbow of one arm and a tiny chip off one of the head spines that was not mentioned. It might just be me though as I am the most observant person in the world and other people may not notice these things...
There are some awesome sellers, and I reward them with repeat business. But yeah, some people totally trash their own wares or don't use enough padding inside the shipping box.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #43
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
don't use enough padding inside the shipping box.
yep...a lot of them just don't use common sense...I get that a lot with comic books I buy on ebay....especially variant and exclusive versions because these are the ones I only buy on ebay. they are in NM+ condition when listed but then these morons go and put the comic book in a flimsy envelope with flimsy cardboard and sure enough...duhhh....200% of the time they reach you in totally f***ed up condition that would grade at best a "Fine" condition. you think USPS will baby these envelopes? and these morons have the balls to charge $8 for US domestic shipping for a thin envelope that must have cost them $1.50 to send. I just give them instant negative feedback.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #44
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_ View Post
Yeah that's why I rarely ever buy used statues from eBay anymore. Sellers are usually trying to dump a piece that they nicked or damaged while posting three sentence descriptions with barely any pics but the production pictures. That's why I just try to get all my statues Brand New.
That is not usually the case, if there are defects they are described or it gets returned. Even "new" pieces can have damage. Most "used" statues are not rejects, just ones people don't want anymore for various reasons.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #45
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
yep...a lot of them just don't use common sense...I get that a lot with comic books I buy on ebay....especially variant and exclusive versions because these are the ones I only buy on ebay. they are in NM+ condition when listed but then these morons go and put the comic book in a flimsy envelope with flimsy cardboard and sure enough...duhhh....200% of the time they reach you in totally f***ed up condition that would grade at best a "Fine" condition. you think USPS will baby these envelopes? and these morons have the balls to charge $8 for US domestic shipping for a thin envelope that must have cost them $1.50 to send. I just give them instant negative feedback.
What "padding" are you talking about? Most statues come in original boxes and brown shippers, there isn't really anything else needed unless the shipper is damaged. Also for books, yea $8 for book rate is a bit high, but nothing is $1.50 anymore and don't forget sellers have to pay fees on shipping with ebay and paypal too so that gets passed along. Actual minimum postage cost is about $3(not $1.50), then add packing supplies and postage fees so $8 isn't that far out of line when you factor everything in. Don't be one of those ahole buyers who leave instant negatives, give the seller a chance to make it right.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:56 PM   #46
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAlien View Post
Yep, I completely 100% agree with this! My problem is that as I'm fairly new to the statue world (always collected the 'toys' (neca, mcfarlane etc)) and you can't buy the older ones new anymore. Now I am collecting statues I will only be buying from new with the option of replacement parts/items directly from the manufacturer/distributor when they are not perfect.

I am pretty much totally done with ebay due to the 100% issue problem! - with the exception of the last couple of remaining pieces I want to find that I missed out on in the past. It is almost / pretty much impossible to find a perfect item as sellers are not as observant or simply cover up issues to get a sale. I have been lucky with the item I purchased as the seller seems to be genuinely awesome after much discussion (they are also a collector and they were hesitant about selling in the first place so they don't mind taking the item back for their collection (I kept it in exactly the same condition as received). I am still so gutted that the item wasn't perfect as I think this one beats the hell out of the upcoming Coolprops one (although again that's a matter of preference and that is my preference). If anyone in the UK has a perfect Sideshow big Chap Maquette and would be willing to sell it to me for the same / a very similar price to what I paid for this one I am definitely interested and would collect in person if not too far from my location! .
Any update on this? You get a full refund with shipping yet?
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote