Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 08-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #11
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Though to be fair DC hasn't had a event in quite awhile. Convergence was their last big event and that was a couple of years ago. Rebirth was a change in publishing strategy not an event. So kudos for them for not overdoing it. Marvel has had about 4 in that timeframe

Secret Empire
Monsters Unleashed
Inhumans Vs. X-Men
Civil War 2
Secret Wars
The Clone Conspiracy

and that's just off the top of my head
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Anyone else, besides me, suffering from extreme "Big Event" fatigue? "Whew man", this is getting ridiculous. Have we gone 2 months in the last 3 years with DC or Marvel w/o a big event?
This and the reboots are what pushed me to stop collecting single issue comics.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
SONICobra
Bane

heres a quick little review from the lcs i buy from:

DARK NIGHTS: METAL #1
(W) Scott Snyder
(A) Greg Capullo, Danny Miki
Reviewed by Kevin Healy

A quick flip through this book made me worried I was about to read a train wreck. There's a Justice League Voltron moment, and all I could think was "C'mon...." and then swear.

The book is better than that. Better, but not great, so I guess I'm here to tell you why I think that is. Scott Snyder has a tendency to make things more convoluted than they need to be. Call it a Hickman trait, passed down to his followers. Snyder brings all of his 'does this maybe mean something' to bear in Metal. A bunch of stuff happens, and many words are used to sort of kind of explain what those things are w/out making any clear connections. My problem with that is Rebirth has been clear and quick even when complicated, and Geoff Johns complex is vastly different from Scott Snyder complex. Snyder wants desperately to be able to do Grant Morrison complex, and there's no indication he's anywhere close to that yet (even if he throws Grant's map in the book).

My other issue is that the art looks rushed to me. A quick comparison against Capullo's artwork in Reborn will show what he's capable of. His best stuff isn't here (but his paycheck is).

You will get to see Batman ride a dinosaur though. I don't know if that's enough to make me rush to issue #2.
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #14
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Comics just aren't what they used to be, writing and art wise. They worked so well back when I was a kid, what happened??

These titles that mix subpar artists now with this rush to get issues out is clearly quantity over quality. And yeah, I'm in my 40s and get confused reading a comic, theres gotta be something wrong here LOL.

Hey DC! Sometimes less is more!
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #15
SONICobra
Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Comics just aren't what they used to be, writing and art wise. They worked so well back when I was a kid, what happened??

These titles that mix subpar artists now with this rush to get issues out is clearly quantity over quality. And yeah, I'm in my 40s and get confused reading a comic, theres gotta be something wrong here LOL.

Hey DC! Sometimes less is more!
YES to all of this
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I bought the first issue, being a fan of Capullo's art, less so of Snyder's writing. Trying not to reveal any spoilers, while the art is unsurprisingly beautiful, the story is strained and tired. References to Crises and the reemergence of old and classic characters makes this feel like just another inflection point in DC's eliminating and subsequently returning characters and themes that just feel like a continuous loop but with different shades and details. I'm sure others will feel differently but, other than the last page reveal that started this thread, to me, while the details are different the themes just in this one issue feel like a retread.

Last edited by wktf; 08-19-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correcting typos.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #17
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Too add, there are only 6 Metal books (ending in Feb '18). The rest of the story comes from numerous one offs and tie ins from JL to Suicide Squad to Teen Titans etc... I'm out with that nonsense.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #18
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
Too add, there are only 6 Metal books (ending in Feb '18). The rest of the story comes from numerous one offs and tie ins from JL to Suicide Squad to Teen Titans etc... I'm out with that nonsense.
Same here. I'll read the Metal issues and that'll be it. I liked the first issue, but wasn't blown away by any means.

I like Scott Snyder, but I also think he is very over-rated (yeah, I said it). The Court of Owls story was great, but I stopped reading All-Star Batman awhile ago..
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 PM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
Same here. I'll read the Metal issues and that'll be it. I liked the first issue, but wasn't blown away by any means.

I like Scott Snyder, but I also think he is very over-rated (yeah, I said it). The Court of Owls story was great, but I stopped reading All-Star Batman awhile ago..
Agree on all points.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #20
Das Brutah
The Avengers

Not a Snyder fan. Beyond his Owls storyline (which introduced some craptacular threads like Bruce Wayne having a brother his parents disgarded... come on) Other arcs too long, 10+ issues to tell a story. Ridder taking an entire city hostage... Pass!

These huge event story arcs have really been underwhelming a few years back. I stopped reading them, so maybe they improved. Like last Secret Wars, but only because of use of FF characters and it provuded closure on them as characters in MCU.

Not interested.
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote