Old 04-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #101
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Did you see it, Hanky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Have you seen the movie? Its basically a shot by shot live action of the original apart from one part of the storyline.
Yes and I do agree with the familiar shot by shot comparisons, which was rewarding to some eye candy degree.

My biggest detraction was the film pays homage to familiar action scenes (which was VERY cool) but lacks the deep human/philosophical contemplation of the manga version. Don't get me started on the absurd narrative twist for appropriation sake. This film just lacked any heart or emotion for me to care.

It will be interesting to see how Japan audiences respond to its release in theaters.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #102
LegendaryOutlaw
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates70 View Post
Lucy is not considered as that good of a movie no matter how much it made. Transformer movies were crap and look how much that made. And one movie does not make one a great actor either.
I think you misunderstood my comment, that was just to note that Scarlett has done that in the past, to lead a film, I watched that movie mainly because of her.

And I agree that Lucy is not a good movie....but not because of her, I think is a combination of Direction, story, script and more.
LegendaryOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #103
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Yes and I do agree with the familiar shot by shot comparisons, which was rewarding to some eye candy degree.

My biggest detraction was the film pays homage to familiar action scenes (which was VERY cool) but lacks the deep human/philosophical contemplation of the manga version. Don't get me started on the absurd narrative twist for appropriation sake. This film just lacked any heart or emotion for me to care.

It will be interesting to see how Japan audiences respond to its release in theaters.
It's interesting you say that because the original is as cold as the Geishas that inhabit that world. I don't mind because the anime is clearly more focused on having the discussion of what the future might hold for man and technology rather than have us connect to any specific character. This new film decided to downplay that aspect and attempted to engage the audience in a more character driven experience. It may not have worked for you but it certainly does a better job of trying to have more heart and emotion than it's predecessor.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #104
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

The question I have is how much better could this movie had done?
It's not like if you sit someone down to watch the 95 anime they would love it any better than the movie in 2017. In fact they may not like it as much as the 2017 movie. It probably needed more changes to make this have broader appeal. I enjoyed it but fully realize it would be hard to recommend to non fans.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #105
SONICobra
Batman

i think non-fans may enjoy it more to be honest, its been years since i watched the original and honestly dont remember much aside from some iconic scenes but i LOVED it. i wanted to take a date to this last week but was unsure after all the initial reviews, now i think she would have really enjoyed it. too bad we probably wont get a sequel
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #106
Demona
Martian Manhunter

If I hear/read one more time that Iron Fist is "white-washed", I'm going to scream.

Just read another article on it today. I agree that Hollywood does make some casting mistakes based on character origin -- but Iron Fist is not one of those cases.

Still haven't had a chance to see GITS, but I hope too soon. The reviews on here have me intrigued.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #107
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
If I hear/read one more time that Iron Fist is "white-washed", I'm going to scream.

Just read another article on it today. I agree that Hollywood does make some casting mistakes based on character origin -- but Iron Fist is not one of those cases.

Still haven't had a chance to see GITS, but I hope too soon. The reviews on here have me intrigued.
I agree; It's just lazy journalism. There may be an agreement that Iron Fist is/was a form of cultural appropriation when conceived. Perhaps a debate that it was an opportunity for Marvel to race swap the character in the interest of an Asian superhero onscreen; but it is indeed a misnomer to say Iron Fist was "whitewashed".
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #108
abarron
Batman

Watched this the other night and actually really liked it. Might have something to do with not having watched the anime

The setting looks amazing and reminded me quite a bit of fifth element

I felt it had elements of Robocop, Matrix and I Robot but have a feeling these have taken those elements for the original anime
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM   #109
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
Watched this the other night and actually really liked it. Might have something to do with not having watched the anime
Do yourself a favor and watch the anime. It's infinitely better in so many ways.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #110
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Do yourself a favor and watch the anime. It's infinitely better in so many ways.
^THIS. I felt the movie was just a film to pay homage to the anime, nothing more. It was visually stunning, but that was about it. I felt it was too one-dimensional and short.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote