Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 10-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #1801
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitt3 View Post
...it's a pity, really, 'cos they're beautiful :-(
I hope GG don't quit making 1/4 scale, as the reality is, of the few statues I own (including some from XM Studios, SideShow, Yamato) I own more from GG, and the quality of Derby rates as the most impressive.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #1802
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Well guys this line is now the very definition of a flop. They are in the sale section with a massive price drop and you can use an additional coupon. I would be sick if I paid full price. Thankfully I didn't. But now the price is where it should be.

If anyone wants Whisper or some of the others, I guess Lucky is not on sale because she just came out, now is your chance.

Whisper Original Price $669 - Sale Price $401.40

Katya Original Price $599 - Sale Price $359.40

Derby Original Price $599 - Sale Price $359.40

Plus there are codes for an additional $80 off over $400 for Whisper and $55 off over $300 for the other two girls.

Disaster. And it's not even Black Friday...
Unbelievable......either the statues was overpriced to begin with or they are getting rid of it at a loss. Should have waited....could have saved a few hundred dollars on the 3 girls..
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #1803
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Here's a few pictures of my setup.... As for the prices, those Sale Prices are pretty much what I paid Spec Fiction for the statues back when I pre-ordered them long ago.... I think the only people who paid full price where those who ordered directly from Gentle Giant... That said I do think GG dropped the ball on this line, but given all the small edition sizes they seem to put out on all their statues I'm not sure if they will be in the 1:4 statue business much longer... I have a feeling their bread and butter are the busts and the oversized action figures.

Beautiful setup. As things stand, I don't regret picking up Whisper. On her individual merits, I feel she's an amazing statue. Maybe I'm in denial, but I'm still hoping we somehow get Fireball. I'd love to pair her with Derby. They both have a little dystopian city look to them.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #1804
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

You should've waited VS1976, but as with most collectors, it's hype, impulsiveness, and the fear of losing. These will more than likely drop even more now that Fireball won't be made. If I've learned one thing with Gentle Giant's 1/4 scale stuff, it's to wait it out to see how low that price can get. If I miss out then I miss out. There'll always be something else that catches my interest. I don't think their stuff is overpriced. They're raising their prices the same as everyone else is. Their stuff is of suberb quality and detail, and I believe the prices do reflect that. These guys just aren't popular enough. Even with these ultra low edition sizes and exceptional quality statues, that's just not enough to pull buyers in. Most collectors refuse to venture out beyond Sideshow. Good grief, most of Sideshow's unwanted garbage, mega high ES statues sell for more in the aftermarket over GG's limited art. Keeping these edition sizes, if all these pieces made by Gentle Giant were instead made by Sideshow, they'd be instant sellouts....there I said it. Most collectors like to stick to their own 1/4 scale brand name, and Gentle Giant isn't one of them. Which is just fine by me, because I can wait and get these GG pieces at the price I wanna pay.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #1805
htx87
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
Well guys this line is now the very definition of a flop. They are in the sale section with a massive price drop and you can use an additional coupon. I would be sick if I paid full price. Thankfully I didn't. But now the price is where it should be.

If anyone wants Whisper or some of the others, I guess Lucky is not on sale because she just came out, now is your chance.

Whisper Original Price $669 - Sale Price $401.40

Katya Original Price $599 - Sale Price $359.40

Derby Original Price $599 - Sale Price $359.40

Plus there are codes for an additional $80 off over $400 for Whisper and $55 off over $300 for the other two girls.

Disaster. And it's not even Black Friday...
It seems the code for spending $300 or more isn't working. I'm trying to post it for the Derby and it keeps saying "code not valid".
htx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #1806
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
You should've waited VS1976, but as with most collectors, it's hype, impulsiveness, and the fear of losing. These will more than likely drop even more now that Fireball won't be made. If I've learned one thing with Gentle Giant's 1/4 scale stuff, it's to wait it out to see how low that price can get. If I miss out then I miss out. There'll always be something else that catches my interest. I don't think their stuff is overpriced. They're raising their prices the same as everyone else is. Their stuff is of suberb quality and detail, and I believe the prices do reflect that. These guys just aren't popular enough. Even with these ultra low edition sizes and exceptional quality statues, that's just not enough to pull buyers in. Most collectors refuse to venture out beyond Sideshow. Good grief, most of Sideshow's unwanted garbage, mega high ES statues sell for more in the aftermarket over GG's limited art. Keeping these edition sizes, if all these pieces made by Gentle Giant were instead made by Sideshow, they'd be instant sellouts....there I said it. Most collectors like to stick to their own 1/4 scale brand name, and Gentle Giant isn't one of them. Which is just fine by me, because I can wait and get these GG pieces at the price I wanna pay.
I'm not sure I would lump GG other 1:4 statues in the same category as these Honey Trap ones, I know Black Widow, Sucker Punch and Artemisia statues sell for 2x-4x their original price, there very popular and they originally sold out really quick...

As for sales, I know Yamato is having 30% discount on most of their statues right now even the Greek Myth ones... And even SS has statues that have been sitting in their inventory for years now, Man of Steel PF, Doctor Doom PF comes to mind...

The problem with HT statues is there's no comic or movie about the characters, then on top of that GG took forever to release them, people had moved on to other statues.... the market is flooded with product now a days with so many companies making statues... So do you spend money on a character you know nothing about or buy that sweet 1/3 scale Harley statue

I think SS is going to find out rather quick that their high edition sizes will bite them in the butt as people start spending their money on other companies products and their warehouses start to fill up...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #1807
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

GG puts out quality statues no matter what the scale. The problem they have is timeline and pricing. All these Honey Trap statues are AMAZING, but so were the Sucker Punch statues they were based on. And the price point on those was $299-$350. The quality on those is the same as these honey trap, so why are they double the cost? My only guess is greed but i'm not 100% sure. I do love GG and have a bunch of their stuff, but they need to reassess their marketing strategy & their focus.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #1808
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
GG puts out quality statues no matter what the scale. The problem they have is timeline and pricing. All these Honey Trap statues are AMAZING, but so were the Sucker Punch statues they were based on. And the price point on those was $299-$350. The quality on those is the same as these honey trap, so why are they double the cost? My only guess is greed but i'm not 100% sure. I do love GG and have a bunch of their stuff, but they need to reassess their marketing strategy & their focus.
So did u lose money buying from them after they just heavily discounted there HT statues?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #1809
Spec Fiction
Speculative Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
So did u lose money buying from them after they just heavily discounted there HT statues?
No I didn't lose money, but didn't make much. Plus about 50% of the whisper pieces I bought were broken.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #1810
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Fiction View Post
No I didn't lose money, but didn't make much. Plus about 50% of the whisper pieces I bought were broken.
Wow 50% is a lot. Surely u got compensated back from them.