Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #23521
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (2016) - A small financial institution called Abacus becomes the only company criminally indicted in the wake of the United States' 2008 mortgage crisis.

Documentaries about specific injustices I usually expect to have no resolution so it's always nice to see one highlight some positives after a family has been wronged in this way. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #23522
ukshaun
Hercules

Blade Runner 2049

7/10

Spectacular looking. Amazing sets. At 2.5hrs long, the first 1hr 45mins felt quite boring. The final45minutes go some way to rescuing the film. I missed the film having a theme tune. The original blade Runner contains one of the best themes tunes ever. Blade Runner 2049 opted for industrial sounds instead.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:23 AM   #23523
ParisDean

The Academy Award-Nominated Live Action Short Films 2018:

DeKalb Elementary (2017) - Inspired by an actual 911 call placed during a school shooting incident in Atlanta, Georgia. 7/10

The Silent Child (2017) - The Silent Child centres around a profoundly deaf four year old girl named Libby who is born into a middle class family and lives in a world of silence until a caring social worker teaches her the gift of communication. 8/10

My Nephew Emmett (2017) - Based on the true story of the 1955 murder of Emmett Louis Till. 9/10

The Eleven O'Clock (2016) The delusional patient of a psychiatrist believes he is actually the psychiatrist. As they each attempt to treat each other the session gets out of control. 7/10

Watu Wote: All of us (2017) - For a decade Kenya has been targeted by terrorist attacks of the Al-Shabaab. An atmosphere of anxiety and mistrust between Muslims and Christians is growing. Until in December 2015, Muslim bus passengers showed that solidarity can prevail. 8/10
Old 03-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #23524
ParisDean

Loving Vincent (2017) - In a story depicted in oil painted animation, a young man comes to the last hometown of painter Vincent van Gogh to deliver the troubled artist's final letter and ends up investigating his final days there.

The flimsy narrative takes a back seat to the exquisitely-rendered animation. 8/10
Old 03-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #23525
ParisDean

Loveless (2017) - A couple going through a divorce must team up to find their son who has disappeared during one of their bitter arguments.

Long stretches of slow-moving beauty culminate to a final, emotionally-charged confrontation. 9/10
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 AM   #23526
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Coco. 10/10.

Wow. Very sad yet heartwarming. Lost my Grandma and Grandpa in a span of the last 2 years. Wonderful story. Should have supported this when it was in theaters.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #23527
Python
Omega Red

Okay, I'm going to be sectioned here I'm sure, but I watched two movies this week.

The first was my very first viewing of Logan, a highly rated and popular movie. I mean I thought it was okay, but only okay. I appreciated the gritty R rated production, along with some of the violence that came with it and fit the character nicely. As does the way he just constantly swears right in a young girls ear throughout. But I found much of it to be fairly boring and predictable. I guess I appreciated the way they handled Logan at the end without going in to spoilers, no grandeur, just a small cause to follow. can't say the same for Prof x though. So I like the concept of a gritty and down to basics Logan movie, just not the execution so much. An average and forgettable movie then, 5/10.

Now here's where I really get booed...

Terminator Genisys 8/10.

This movie really isn't as bad as people make out. It obviously isn't in the same league as T1 or T2, not even close! But I enjoyed it first time around, and my second viewing this week confirmed that I quite like this movie. Turn your brain off, don't expect another T2 and it offers a fairly fun couple of hours. Sure Jai Courtney is as dry as a bone, but even he doesn't really spoil it too much. The action scenes are very well done also, the helicopter chase is embarrassingly bad, and I just can't get on with any fully CGI humanoid characters (young Arnie in this case) but no movie is perfect. It's easily the best of the rest after T1 and T2 imo, which I fully admit isn't high praise....
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #23528
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Coco. 10/10.

Wow. Very sad yet heartwarming. Lost my Grandma and Grandpa in a span of the last 2 years. Wonderful story. Should have supported this when it was in theaters.
Was equally moved by this movie. I really enjoyed the underlying, spiritual message this movie brought to the forefront. An appreciated reminder of what is truly important. We're just as much products of our ancestry as were are our DNA. Had no idea it was this profound, until my children insisted that I watch this.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #23529
ParisDean

Victoria & Abdul (2017) - Queen Victoria strikes up an unlikely friendship with a young Indian clerk named Abdul Karim.

While Judi Dench played the queen very well, I was unable to connect to her friendship with Abdul. Even the more emotional scenes between them didn't move me at all. 5/10
Old 03-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #23530
statman
Baron Zemo

Atomic Blond - 8/10
statman is offline   Reply With Quote