Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Customs Corner

Old 05-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles665 View Post
It's been a long time coming, started this project in 2015 and let it sit there and collect more dust than I ever thought I would. And 2018 I finally got the motivation and sat myself down and put in the time to get this thing done. I'm now 99% complete, a few belt buckle details to put in still and that's it. Came out about as good as I could expect, I've never done this before, works with material I'd never used in a style I've never done. I learned a lot on this project and look forward to the next.
2015? I guess there is still hope for me then.

I have a small collection of statues I started resculpting years ago and just lost steam and...have been in my garage since well...2014 or 2015 too
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Achilles665
Frackin!

I told my friend when I took on the project that I like to work slow, more so that I lose Steam and inspiration and only will work when I'm inspired to do anything. This should never feel like a chore but insted a reward, and if it feels grueling or taxing I'm not interested in doing it. I just never expected such a long stretch between inspired moments, truthfully it was quite embarrassing to have this go on so long. But I'm glad it's done and I hope you can find the fuel to dig at least one out of storage and put in the time to finish it.
Achilles665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles665 View Post
I told my friend when I took on the project that I like to work slow, more so that I lose Steam and inspiration and only will work when I'm inspired to do anything. This should never feel like a chore but insted a reward, and if it feels grueling or taxing I'm not interested in doing it. I just never expected such a long stretch between inspired moments, truthfully it was quite embarrassing to have this go on so long. But I'm glad it's done and I hope you can find the fuel to dig at least one out of storage and put in the time to finish it.
yep...me too. I only work on a statue project when I feel like it....and not as a chore. I guess if you do it for some sideline work and you get paid for it then you might not have a choice but to do it even if it becomes something you just want to get over with. luckily I do this stuff just for me and my amusement to see where my skill can take the base statue I'm working on...so that means I can can take my sweet time....but hopefully not past the point where I lose interest and move on to a different project....that's just something I try to avoid. no I just focus on 1 project....work on it when I feel like it...and eventually finish it. I don't start on another one without first finishing the current one.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
SONICobra
Bane

that looks dope brother!

its funny how similar your experience has been with self taught customizing, i learn so much on each project. and dont feel bad about the time frame, ive been working on a batman statue for almost 4 years - actively for about 2.5 and its still not to where you are with this

looks sick though man, big congrats for seeing it through - looking forward to your next project make sure you post pics!
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #15
Achilles665
Frackin!

Thanks man.

This was the first custom I've done, it is very weird to work over someone else's work rather than adjust my own. It has its own advantages and disadvantages... But overall I liked it and know it will be the only time it takes as long as it did, if I ever do a comission it will be much much faster
Old 05-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

That came out great!
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #17
Achilles665
Frackin!

Thanks, I cut a lot of corners at times and then went back and fixed them because I felt bad... but I think for a first timer I can't complain with the outcome really.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:28 AM   #18
BerenKaneda
Frackin!

Its really awesome. Also I think Jim LeeĀ“s X-Men design is the best they had.

What material did you use to fix Colossus hair and ear? I have a F4F statue with a broken (and missing) ear and dont know how to start to try to fix it.
BerenKaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #19
Achilles665
Frackin!

I think it's called Apoxie Sculpt? It's a 2 stage clay that hardens on its own. It worked very well but for the clean breaks in Colossis I also drilled into the meat and super glued wire "rebar" to support gluing the break seam. Solid as a rock on all accounts. The Hair for Cyclops was going great until the Apoxie started to dry and I did a ---- job on the back of his head.... But I couldn't stand for that being the final product and carved it off at the back and re did it matching the previous texture. It was the first time I ever did hair, and I was pleased with the outcome.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #20
Achilles665
Frackin!

Oh, and Cyclops had a missing ear too, it was an easy feature to match with the other one as an example.