Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Rogue One was so damn good, especially the final act. And now I want to see more standalone movies set during the OT.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Y3E
Gen 13

Do you think this movie will be too boring for 6 and 8 year olds? My sons are big fans of Star Wars but at times said to me, "When is this movie going to end" when it is slow. Thanks.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Do you think this movie will be too boring for 6 and 8 year olds? My sons are big fans of Star Wars but at times said to me, "When is this movie going to end" when it is slow. Thanks.
Yes, that is what I was thinking but it finally got good. The last act is great, assuming they can make it. I think I am going to just take my two sons to the last 40 minutes.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

ROGUE ONE Trailer Moments That Didn’t Make It Into The Film | Birth.Movies.Death.

18 Moments From the ‘Rogue One’ Trailers Not in the Movie

I kept waiting for some of these scenes to play out, which never happened. So I guess some of these omissions were the results of the reshoots.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I thought the CGI Peter Cushing Grand Moff Tarkin was excellent. Princess Leia not quite as good but not bad.
Agreed. I enjoyed the film overall and found it very entertaining, if not, more so than Force Awakens.

THIS film was the PREQUEL that we were all waiting to see!
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
adee
Green Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I was going to take my son after I saw it first but I know he wouldn't like it. It's very slow moving and lots of back story. Not a bad movie but Awakens was much more entertaining imo.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Yes, that is what I was thinking but it finally got good. The last act is great, assuming they can make it. I think I am going to just take my two sons to the last 40 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adee View Post
I was going to take my son after I saw it first but I know he wouldn't like it. It's very slow moving and lots of back story. Not a bad movie but Awakens was much more entertaining imo.
I think my sons will be bored and they don't know any of the characters. They always ask me, is Luke in it, is DV in it, Han Solo, etc...They're hyped about it though so I may have no choice but to take them. I'll just explain to them before hand about slow pace of the movie. Thanks.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

I liked it. Gave a lot more backstory to episode IV. Nothing felt forced either. It tied together well. It wasn't paced well as episode vii though.

I enjoyed seeing new characters. I always assumed they'd all die, so wasn't that emotionally invested when they actually did.

CGI Tarkington was good. I doubt my mum even realised he was CGI.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Saw it last night and loved it, surprise, surprise!! It was pretty much what I was hoping for, and then some.

The original Star Wars i.e.; Episode IV: A New Hope has always been my favorite Star Wars film. Empire gets all the love for being the best, and I'd agree with that, but the only way it's the best is because ANH came before and set the table for it.

This film was the other side of the coin for ANH. It was filled with so many things I had imagined, wondered and thought of happening off screen in that film. I had been wondering how close to the start of ANH this was going to end and how the hand off of the stolen data tapes was going to happen. Well, questions answered!

I was very happy with the whole handling of this not being a saga film, but being a "story" film. There was no STAR WARS theme and logo, no opening crawl and no score by John Williams. All of that turned out to be just fine, I actually felt Giacchino did a great job with the score, he channeled Williams to give it that SW flavor and what I heard of it was great. I'll need to listen to it more when the ST arrives later today.

There were no Jedi and no Sith, no lightsabers, and no Skywalkers. Well... there were actually three out of those four rolled into one with the appearance of Darth Vader, but what I mean is that none of these aspects of the saga films were front and center as they have been across the last seven films. That to be honest was quite refreshing, and I didn't miss them one bit to tell the truth.

While all those things I mentioned that are usually a big part of SW films were were not prevalent in this film, they were all around and always present. There were no Jedi, but we went to Jedha which was an ancient place that was important to the Jedi and their followers. There were no Force wielders but there was Chirrut Imwe who believed in the force with all of his being, and channeled that belief into his fighting abilities. The Sith were almost non-existent in this film save for the appearance of Vader, but in SW The Empire is almost worse than The Sith in the amount of destruction and death they cause. There were no lightsabers, those were weapons for a more civilized time which this is not. A man with a wooden staff can be just as bad ass as any Jedi with a lightsaber. There were no Skywalkers in this film, no Solos or Wookies, but there were still heroes aplenty that we never heard of, that didn't need to blow up the Death Star or kill Darth Vader to become heroes.

There really was so much SW flavor throughout this film, so many easter eggs, but they were never too over the top or heavy handed. There were just enough things to really flavor it, but not overwhelm it. There were things from all over the saga and even from Rebels. My favorites were seeing Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba on Jedha, seeing the probe droid hovering around Jedha, the bacta tank and Royal Guards on Mustafar at Darth Vader's Castle!! Seeing Red and Gold Leader in the final attack on Scarif. Hearing them page General Syndulla (I'm assuming it's Hera) at Yavin base and seeing what appears to be The Ghost with the rebel fleet during the attack on Scarif. And on and on...

The CGI recreation of Tarkin was pretty amazing to be honest. Of course it looked CG here and there but come on! Peter Cushing's likeness back as Tarkin! Wow! Leia was cool as well and I think what bothered me most about her was that she appeared a bit too blonde, other than that I though she was perfect during her two seconds of screen time.

Anyway I could write for hours about this film, but I won't. I'll just say that if you're a fan of SW, especially the OT there will be something for you to enjoy and even love in this film. I myself cannot wait to go back and see it and discover more and more about it. It's an amazing time to be a SW fan. I've waited years, even decades between SW films, and now in the span of a year I've gotten two brand new SW films. Incredible!

Can't wait to see what the future brings to SW.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #20
Jesse Custer
Hellboy

What a movie!! One of the best worldbuilding of any Star Wars movies ever, I just loved how everything felt alive and how refreshing it felt. Some awesome new scenarios, and not only snow/forests again.

Honestly, I was really glad with the slower pace of the first half, it made it feel like a journey and we had more time for barckground info, while TFA, for exemple, felt like everything happened at once and the whole movie took place in 3 days. This one felt a lot more epic and well rounded for me. In my opinion, Rogue One is by far the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy.

And it's probably just a matter of time until Disney announces a Vader movie.
Jesse Custer is offline   Reply With Quote