Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #1
atrocity
Doh!

Hard Plasticine Clay preferences.

Hello, newbie here with a newbie question. I have some Oil based clay and while I enjoy the stuff, the current brand I'm using (Van Aken) is a bit too soft for my liking. So I want to try the other end of the spectrum. I'm looking to create detailed action figures.

I'm looking at Y2 Klay, NSP Hard, CM70 and CM50. Chavant lists NSP Hard as being just underneath Y2 Klay in hardness. And Y2 Klay is about wood hard I've read. I'm basically thinking of it as a cheaper version of Castilene. So is NSP Hard really that hard? What are your experiences with each of these products and their hardness/working characteristics? Do you have something else that you can recommend?
atrocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have used just about every clay out there.

My two favorite compounds are Y2Klay and Apoxie Sculpt.

Y2Klay is very lightweight and doesn't generally need an armature. It is about as hard as Basswood when cold. I use a $4 mug/candle warmer and an old juice glass to soften and melt the stuff for work-ability. You can soften it enough to pour it into molds. When cold it can be milled, drilled and polished.

I've not found any one product that is as easy, versatile and inexpensive as Y2Klay. For thin, narrow items I use Apoxie and stick it into the Y2Klay for items like horns or accessories.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
atrocity
Doh!

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I think it should be pretty interesting to work with something so hard. I've not worked with wax at all so I'd guess this could be something like working with that but more versatile since it's clay. The ability to pour something so hard yet workable into a mold sounds great too. No where locally sells the stuff so I would have had to special order at a price of 1 block for $25 or so. But I happened upon a great deal and got 5 of them for $35 (with a coupon). I don't really think I'll need that much of the stuff, hell, I might not even like it. But it's a deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
atrocity
Doh!

So I got the Y2 Klay today. For starters I'd say one billet is about or a little less than the amount of clay you'd get in a 4.5lb block of Van Aken, which means it's much lighter. It's pretty hard clay. I actually thought it would be harder. I figured it would be near rock hard in it's billet form but with some (extreme) finger pressure you can dent it (a little)

Once you warm it up, work with it and let it cool you can still go back into it with tools just fine. I'm using some homemade thin wire loops and they're still able to shave off clay little by little. Smoothing is something that will more or less have to be finished with some kind external solvent or something that isn't my fingers probably.

All in all, I like the stuff. I think if Chavant NSP Hard is softer than this stuff I would have been disappointed in purchasing it since I wanted something really hard to try out. If NSP Hard is a little softer however I could see it being my go to clay for general purpose stuff though. Or... I can probably just add some oil to the Y2 Klay. But as far as a hard clay that's still workable I'd say the Y2 Klay fits the bill. For me I could mostly see it being used as a finishing material. Sculpting in a softer clay and then casting into the Y2 Klay for the detail work. Good stuff.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 AM   #5
cyborgt800

Glad to help....I love the stuff.

As for smoothing it, I've never used solvents. I use scrapers and then buff it.

If it turns out you ever want to get rid of it, contact me.

Where did you order from? I may have to order more at that price!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
Deadvacahead
Frackin!

Have you tried Monster Makers clay? Its incredibly hard at room temperature. You have to warm it up before you can use it. Its about $30 for 5lbs of the stuff. I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far.
Deadvacahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
cyborgt800

Monster clay is nowhere near as hard as Y2Klay.
I have some and it's nice but my preference goes to Y2Klay.