Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #721
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

This statue is clearly a companion piece because i really don't think it was meant to be displayed by itself. IF you get this you should probably get at least another statue in the line otherwise because of the pose it will look kind of weird. The base from his and the rotating superman base will probably be able to connect with the poison ivy and the huntress statue
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #722
khrisc
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibleu22 View Post
How did they not stick to the source? You can't directly translate something from a 2D drawing to a 3D statue perfectly.
this is the source. It looks more natural right? well at least for me..batman is crouching ready to attack..the prime1 statue to me looks like he lost his balance and fell but he caught his footing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lee_batman_hush_unwrap_cvr.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	110527  
khrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #723
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisc View Post
this is the source. It looks more natural right? well at least for me..batman is crouching ready to attack..
i dont find the current pose as off putting as others but i do agree head placement makes a huge difference imo
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #724
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indomitus View Post
I am usually such a big fan of the pieces Prime 1 puts out (even if I don't get them) and this is a tough choice because Hush was such a great comic and art piece, and it pains me to do, but this is a pass.

My biggest issue is the head sculpt. And maybe it's the nose piece. It looks like a beak. A bird beak! And maybe its the ears popping out making this more a head glove than a mask? Still wrestling with figuring this one out.

Good to see the price is in line with the other stuff and that I was wrong there. Good EX. Matching the Hush cover is a good move even though I think this would make it very hard to find the right shelf space to display.

Maybe this would have been better?

Respect for the work that was put in. Hope that all of you that get this are happy with it and P1 sells many. But collectors are getting tapped out on space and money. I know I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khrisc View Post
this is the source. It looks more natural right? well at least for me..batman is crouching ready to attack..the prime1 statue to me looks like he lost his balance and fell but he caught his footing.

I think the pose on this statue is a tad awkward, too. It almost seems like the sculptor had a different interpretation of Batman’s stance in the source artwork. So in the sculpt, Bats has a wide bow-legged stance, while Bats has a narrower squatting stance in the artwork. It does look a tad unnatural in the sculpt.

But that’s just my opinion. And I’m not getting this. So to all that like this piece, just enjoy it.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #725
French Cancan
Deadman

He looks like Quasimodo (Low Sunday?) crawling among the gargoyles of Notre-Dame.
I worry about this Hush-line... Now, what about Ivy? The original design by Imaginarium Art was so beautiful...
My favorite P1 Batman is definitely the New 52.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #726
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

2D to 3D will never be exact. The most we can hope for is when in hand someone manipulates the statue and photographs from the EXACT position the art is in to actually gauge how close or off this is. But his head is clearly turned more and his left arm is tucked in further on the statue.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #727
iguana
Blue Falcon

But it shouldn't be a problem for a good sculptor/3d-artist to pose him right...
iguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #728
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

It seems like the bird beak "issue" was in response to people complaining about his nose showing when it was first revealed. I also preferred it that way and had no issue with it on the Miller piece. However, much to jpuli28's point, while fully covering the nose seems more accurate to the 2D art due to the angular shape in which Lee draws the mask--which the nose disrupts--you may notice in Indomitus's profile shot that the nose would actually show if Lee didn't so often cover it in shadow (see below.) Now his mask dips too low.

I made a similar point with the Hush Superman's physique, saying that he only looked bulkier than how Lee drew him in Hush because his musculature isn't obscured in shadow like in the comic pages. The comparisons to Michael Turner were more based on Turner drawing Superman in daylight and Lee changing how he's drawn Superman over the years, whereas it's mostly nighttime in Hush and Lee drew him bulkier then (perhaps on purpose in order to make him more imposing after Ivy possessed him.)
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #729
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana View Post
But it shouldn't be a problem for a good sculptor/3d-artist to pose him right...
This is implying Lee is infallible at posing, whereas the statue looks like the source material to me. Lee can make just about any pose look good, but that's because, much like Mike Mignola*, he draws it at one angle and hides things, like the legs here, in shadow. If one took a Jack Kirby panel, even prior to his anatomical drawing becoming more concrete-looking, and rendered it in 3D, the pose would at least appear off or uncomfortable-looking at some angles because it was originally drawn to maximize the dynamism at only its intended perspective.

Looking at the original art, it only becomes more impressive to me how P1 rendered the image. The right forearm on the drawing for example doesn't look three-dimensional in the slightest, especially the transition to the wrist. I can't imagine that being an easy to translate, but P1 managed to give the musculature a tangible, bulky feel by comparison.

*Mignola actually requested guest artist on Hellboy, for example, to keep the Right Hand of Doom obscured because he'd never drawn the palm side. We also deservedly criticize Liefeld for not drawing feet, but artists use all kinds of "shortcuts" which make for better 2D images.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #730
BurningRage
Inhumans

It’s up on Sideshow
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...tudio-9033531/
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote