Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

Much too lazy to sell any statues. The photo taking, the listing, packing & padding, off to the post office. I just let mine pile up.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Yup i have sold items to pay for different items, Even if it was statues and other things i needed at the time.

I do buy to flip too, it helps pay for other items. Nothing like paying $200 for a item, sell it for $400 and that profit pays for a statue i really want which is more or less a free item with some work.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Much too lazy to sell any statues. The photo taking, the listing, packing & padding, off to the post office. I just let mine pile up.
That is what I have been putting off lately, need to sell a handful to cover some stuff..and pay for the onslaught of flexpayments for the rest of the year thanks to the delays from SS.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Once you start selling statues, it becomes much easier to sell more. However, if you are going to sell, I suggest the following:

1) Don't be skimpy on the packaging. You don't want the headache of having to deal with an unhappy client if you can avoid doing so.

2) Do not take clients for morons. If your statue has an imperfection or touch up, say so. If your box has some shelfwear, say so. If your statue has been displayed, say so. You don't want the headache of having to deal with an unhappy client if you can avoid doing so.

If possible, be overly accommodating and package like it's going to Iraq. Try to think resale.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash View Post
i'm a true collector. only buy to keep.
This is a flawed view in my perspective. Buying to keep is what most of do but things change … better versions of the character come out, your tastes and collecting preferences shift over time. Selling items does not make you any less of a ‘true collector’ … to me it is improving your collection but getting the items you want more than some of the items you have in your current collection.

I would classify a person who never sells or trades away items that they acquire as a true buyer or a true hoarder.

I am in the process of selling a lot of items – I really enjoyed them while I had them (they were not in boxes but on display where I got to look at them daily) but now my tastes have shifted in some areas and become more specific in others. Getting rid of items does not mean you don’t like them any more – just that something else is out there that you want more.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #16
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I do, yes; or I sell statues to help pay for Original Art or art commissions.

My collection's always changing; I've never sold any statues that I've had regrets about letting go, thankfully.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #17
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
This is a flawed view in my perspective. Buying to keep is what most of do but things change … better versions of the character come out, your tastes and collecting preferences shift over time. Selling items does not make you any less of a ‘true collector’ … to me it is improving your collection but getting the items you want more than some of the items you have in your current collection.

I would classify a person who never sells or trades away items that they acquire as a true buyer or a true hoarder.

I am in the process of selling a lot of items – I really enjoyed them while I had them (they were not in boxes but on display where I got to look at them daily) but now my tastes have shifted in some areas and become more specific in others. Getting rid of items does not mean you don’t like them any more – just that something else is out there that you want more.

Too true, I don't have any statue still boxed up I enjoy my statues for awhile before I decide to sell at least 8-12 months if not more.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Spazzy
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
I do, yes; or I sell statues to help pay for Original Art or art commissions.

My collection's always changing; I've never sold any statues that I've had regrets about letting go, thankfully.
I've sold a few I regret, I usually end up getting them later on, but some hit grail status and will never want to pay those prices they are going for like 1:1 Endoskull (clean, tried buying a battle damaged one to clean, but the one sold to me was in bad shape, lost interest), Venom, Darth Maul, Hulk pf to name a few.

But if anything in some way they are replacebable, I got the 1:2 endo, and want the T600 bust, I am going for the 1:1 new venom (not as cool, but hell of a lot cheaper) darth maul lsf is coming, and I have the hulk comiq, and I am sure a lsf is in the works.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:

I agree. However, I would add that there are certainly items I grew not to like over time like some of the early DC Direct and Bowen busts and statues. They almost look like wood carvings in comparison to what's being produced now.

Quote:
Or they might (also be) lazy, uninformed, or simply intimidated or daunted by the prospect of selling. It really is easy. folks!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
Spazzy
Hercules

That's why it bugs me to watch the pawn reality shows, they low ball the crap out of you, when you can put it up for ebay and get the prices they plan on selling them for...obviously not everything could be sold, but c'mon research people, we aren't in the 80's anymore this info is at our fingertips.