Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #81
StatueBandit
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
Seriously?

The NFL, not ESPN, should be held accountable for that, if needed.

ESPN should be held accountable for what they say on their own website.
The point is that they where held responsible and apologizes where forwarded and all is forgiven ... lets move on now

Also there have been events in our history that deserve the importance this matter is getting and have never truly gotten it.

If we really want to expand loads of energy and countless hours, days, and nights on taking a matter from a negative to a positive ... lets start be re-writing our History Books for our future
StatueBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #82
rychehitman
Galactus

I think the fact that Lin signed with Coca Cola to endorse
it's Mello Yello product really shows that the situation with ESPN is a non issue for him.

Okay... That was a joke lest anyone start pouring Coca Cola products down the drain. Lin accepted the apology. ESPN didn't have to fire anybody over this. The move to cover their company ass is to see the learning opportunity in this mess for the future.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #83
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

People with the word "hitman" in their Username are clearly of Italian ancestry.

No offense meant to Italians.. just f#ckin' with Rob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
I think the fact that Lin signed with Coca Cola to endorse
it's Mello Yello product really shows that the situation with ESPN is a non issue for him.

Okay... That was a joke lest anyone start pouring Coca Cola products down the drain. Lin accepted the apology. ESPN didn't have to fire anybody over this. The move to cover their company ass is to see the learning opportunity in this mess for the future.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #84
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
These are professionals who should know better. You go to work and call someone a racial slur, you're gonna get disciplined. This person either thought it was funny or was too incompetent to be a professional writer.
Bingo. Seriously, the headline shows that somebody has no business being in journalism. It akin to a doctor prescribing speed instead of morphine (as if). It shows a basic lack of understanding of the profession's fundamentals.

There doesn't have to be a public boycott for ESPN to know that one of its employees is awful at his/her job. Considering there are more unemployed journalists now than ever, it's a guarantee ESPN could find someone more competent.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #85
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
It's obviously a clever way to use a racial slur disguised as a "figure of speech". Some jerk off writer thought they were being cute.
They could have easily used the words "weakest link".
That's exactly what it is, I've never been a fan of ESPN & how they seem to want to be part of the story or get too close with players.
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #86
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

So the journalist who was sacked admitted that the saying was meant to be a racial slur?

If this was a sports journalist from Europe or was posted on a European site it wouldn't be read the same way you guys are reading it. The saying is meant as at last a weakness in the players ability was highlighted.

Unfortunately because it was employed towards a Chinese player there has been an uproar. And now ESPN has got their patsy.

If of course the journalist is a confirmed racist my argument is invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Bingo. Seriously, the headline shows that somebody has no business being in journalism. It akin to a doctor prescribing speed instead of morphine (as if). It shows a basic lack of understanding of the profession's fundamentals.

There doesn't have to be a public boycott for ESPN to know that one of its employees is awful at his/her job. Considering there are more unemployed journalists now than ever, it's a guarantee ESPN could find someone more competent.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #87
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
So the journalist who was sacked admitted that the saying was meant to be a racial slur?

If this was a sports journalist from Europe or was posted on a European site it wouldn't be read the same way you guys are reading it. The saying is meant as at last a weakness in the players ability was highlighted.

Unfortunately because it was employed towards a Chinese player there has been an uproar. And now ESPN has got their patsy.

If of course the journalist is a confirmed racist my argument is invalid.

Bulls, the headline's wording shows a profound lack of competence of the journalist. It doesn't really matter what the writer's intent was. Anyone who writes a headline must consider EVERY way a phrase can be interpreted by the reader. Using racial slurs in a headline is much like typing "F#CK" in a headline. You just don't do it.

How a word is interpreted in Europe is not pertinent here. This was a racial slur posted on an American company's website. That word is considered a racial slur here. There would be no need for ESPN to find a "patsy" if the fool had not written the headline in the first place.

My basic point is this: Using that term in a headline about a person of Asian decent is grounds for termination. People are fired for similar reasons all the time. ESPN has the luxury of hiring the best people. There's no reason to keep someone so bad at their job.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #88
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Over here, 'chink in the armor' is a relatively common and inoffensive turn of phrase, but obviously the word 'chink' itself with reference to people of Asian decent is a slur. The journo probably thought he was being clever and it cost him his job.

But I was reading more about this online and read about another reporter who was suspended for using the same expression with reference to Lin on live TV. In that case, it seems to me it was a spontaneous and completely harmless turn of phrase and the overly sensitive PC crowd punished him for it. The guy has an Asian wife for christs sake and they still hammered him. ???????
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote