Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

variant covers

is there any website that actually shows what variant covers will be prior to their release?

Basic solicits show the usual 1:25, 1:50, etc by _______ artist, yet nowhere does it show what the actual cover will be.

The publishers (Marvel/DC) websites don't have the images up ahead of time. My LCS occasionally has the images up the week before the book is released, but nothing with any consistency. Even the 'huge' e-LCS' (Midtown Comics) usually don't even have the images of what the variants are until the day of release.

Is a buyer really supposed to blind buy these things? I know that many LCS' want to know if you want a variant cover for a specific issue well before the issue ever hits...but how can you order it without an image?

Maybe I'm missing something in this variant process...
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Not always available but DCBS has them displayed sometimes
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
SONICobra
Batman

i signed up for my lcs' weekly newsletter when i lived in Chicago and still get them. they have a list of every comic that will released the following week in the newsletter, list all the variants and usually have a picture of what it looks like

i gave up on caring about variants a looooooong time ago
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i signed up for my lcs' weekly newsletter when i lived in Chicago and still get them. they have a list of every comic that will released the following week in the newsletter, list all the variants and usually have a picture of what it looks like

i gave up on caring about variants a looooooong time ago
I have little interest in them as well. I won't even glance at them unless I'm really drawn to a cover, I was already picking up the issue as part of my regular pull and its under $10.

Just curious about the whole process though as its seemingly run on blind pre-orders. I'd have thought in this day (with how far ahead things are done), the big 2 would have had the images up in their solicits.

Just seems weird that they want you to shell out for that 1:100 cover with absolutely no info on it.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Or freakin' Deadpool. I'm a member of a FB comic book sellers page & can not believe the number of variant Deadpool covers that are out there. Marvel slaps Deadpool on covers of comics that have nothing to even do with him. I never see these at my lcs, but am at a loss as to why this cat's everywhere, when it comes to variants. I missed the whole Deadpool boat & have little desire to climb aboard, but whay is he so variant worthy? Is he that popular a character? I don't get it. I'd go out of my way not to buy a book w/ him just randomly on the cover.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm with you. I don't understand the character, never read any of his stories, and just don't get his popularity at all.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
ratchet
Mandarin

Agree completely - not only is Deadpool a mystery on why people actually like the character - but why they have to put him EVERYWHERE is something I will never understand. Are the fans actually buying every cover out there with him on it?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Hmmmmm. Well, here's my take on variant covers. I'd say most collections either follow an artist or a title. If that's what you're collecting, would it matter what the variant looked like? I've been through all the cash grabs by the big 3, even the Image 0 coupons shenanigans back in the day, and Ive managed to wrangle my collection big time. My favorite artist, duh, is Ryan Ottley. He's been doing a lot of variant covers for all kinds of random titles lately. Keeping up with all of them is a pain in the ass. I usually only find out when I'm on eBay. My shop did pull 2 of the Ottley variants in Oct, but, I did give them a weeks advance. Each week I check comiclist.com for the drops and they list all the variant covers, not sure about images though.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
is there any website that actually shows what variant covers will be prior to their release?
www.comicscontinuum.com

Super source for all things comics related. I go there at least three times a week. Their monthly solicitations section usually covers the variants pretty well. Not sayin' they'll all be there, but you'll get a preview of most of them.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Y3E
Gen 13

Initially, when he first appeared Deadpool was a fun read but the jokes got tired fast and I stopped buying, reading his books years ago. Now, you see him on everything and I, like many of you, at a loss as to why he is so popular.

I also dislike variant covers of characters that have nothing to do with the book. Marvel does this a lot to coincide with some of the movies, like the last Wolverine movie, he was almost every cover that month.

STOP IT!!!

I rarely buy a variant covers now, but if I see a cover I really like and don't want to pay the absorbent price ($10 +), I just may d/l it from the web.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote