Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #341
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyUK View Post
I commissioned Bob Layton years ago for a variant cover of an Avengers issue (276). He was really good with communications and I was delighted with the results.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=287281

Not sure if things are still the same as they were, but I'd hope you'd have a good experience like I did
That variant looks fantastic, thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I have have 2 good experiences with Bob
Thanks.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #342
CJ82
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Did you work through Richard directly? You might want to try his rep, Gin Kung on FB as I have found him pretty easy to deal with.
Sorry for the late reply, thought this thread was dead and buried!

Yes I worked with him directly. At this point he is ignoring any attempts of contact including through his instagram.
I don't trust working with him even through a rep to be honest, fool me once and all.
CJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #343
CJ82

Since this thread seems to finally have some new posts in it, a buyer beware warning;

-1 Brian Churilla - Commissioned him 4 or 5 months ago to his promise that the art would be done in a few weeks. After the first month of being late I contact him again to (what I assume at this point was a lie) him saying its almost done and he would send a scan (never got the scan). Months then go by with zero contact despite multiple emails, finally put a message requesting contact on one of his instagram posts, which he then deleted. After another (more angry) instagram comment he finally emails me and informs me of difficult times. I get it, but at which point was I, a paying customer, to be informed? 4 months? 5 months? Ever? I request a refund. Been trying to get a refund for about a month, he says he was laid off by Dark Horse for missing deadlines and "is trying" to refund me. Avoid.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #344
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

+1 Alex Konat. Responsive, affordable, quick, quality.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #345
Spidey62

+1 Mitch Ballard. Check out my thread for pencils and inks. Great communication, timely completion, secure shipping. Over and above expectations, and ultra reasonable prices. Highly recommended.
Spidey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #346
CJ82

Brian Churilla update: Still no refund, communication is like pulling teeth. I have even offered alternatives to a refund to wrap this debacle up; Rather than an inked pen & paper commission like originally I paid for, a quick-and-dirty digital commission instead. No reply to the suggestion. Avoid this guy, protect yourselves.

On a similar note
- 1 Roger Bonet Martinez. Commissioned him a number of months ago, progress on the commission just slowed to a halt, always putting other projects before mine despite accepting payment upfront (dear artists, stop doing that.) and now its basically radio silence, requested a refund, no reply. Pretty sure I'm boned. Avoid.

+ 1 Henri Reculé. Good, prompt communication. Open to concept and provided a number of roughs to choose from. Delivered the art within a few weeks (digital commission). Only downside was he is based in Europe so the exchange rate stung, but a good experience in a string of bad ones lately.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #347
freeform
The Spirit

+1 Ryan Kelly No money upfront. When my name came up it was done in 48 hours
+1 Todd Nauck No money upfront. Took him about a week from start to finish after my name came up
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #348
Bonez
Doh!

+1 Jason Fabok

I had a great experience with Jason Fabok. I didn't see him on the list but have talked to him at numerous conventions. I did something for him and he offered a commission in return. Took him a few months to do the commission but he would send me updates and initial layouts of it on twitter or via email to show what he was working on. Was very easy to get ahold of on social media. He wanted to have it done for a local convention that he was going to be at and he had it finished on time. He doesn't do commissions much now since he is busy, but the one I had done by him was way above expectations.
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #349
CJ82

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost9 View Post
Ale Garza - heard he's gotten better, but I'd still be nervous commissioning him.
I feel I should chime in about Garza since it's my current 'problem' commission (plus this thread could always use a bump and more traffic).

My experience with Garza has been terrible. Paid in full last May (so we're almost at 1 year) to his promise it would be done shortly. Since then, every time I've requested an update its been "I'll have it in the next few days" "I'll have it by Monday.".
There have been no less than 5 or 6 promised dates broken. The most recent being he said he'd have it done by April 1st (April Fools? Jokes on me I guess.) Of course, nothing. This is on top of taking a week or more to answer an email or instant message.

Ridiculous. Avoid this guy.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #350
CJ82

+1 Diego Bonesso
Had to wait a while for availability, but Diego was prompt, open to concept, and friendly to deal with. Exchange rate was rough since he is based in Italy, but other than that great experience.