Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 05-28-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Can you cast Sculpty?

I've got the original piece made in sculpty and I heard that over time it might break apart. Can you do a casting of a piece made with Super Sculpty?
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
Arannz
Frackin!

If you mean can you make a mold from a piece that was sculpted from Super Sculpey, then yes you can.

You make a mold of the sculpture out of silicone rubber and then cast into the mold with a urethane resin or polyester resin to get a durable copy of the original. Molds work very well from baked super sculpey. If you bake the sculpey (see the packet for instructions) it goes hard and and can be handled more safely during the molding process. You can make molds from unbaked super sculpey as well, but because it is softer you run more risk of putting marks on it or deforming it while handling it during the mold making process.

Simply baking your original will make it last longer, but as you say it can still form cracks in the long term and is more fragile than a resin copy.
Arannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
DDura711
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arannz
If you mean can you make a mold from a piece that was sculpted from Super Sculpey, then yes you can.

You make a mold of the sculpture out of silicone rubber and then cast into the mold with a urethane resin or polyester resin to get a durable copy of the original. Molds work very well from baked super sculpey. If you bake the sculpey (see the packet for instructions) it goes hard and and can be handled more safely during the molding process. You can make molds from unbaked super sculpey as well, but because it is softer you run more risk of putting marks on it or deforming it while handling it during the mold making process.

Simply baking your original will make it last longer, but as you say it can still form cracks in the long term and is more fragile than a resin copy.
I'm sure it's baked, also it's painted. But I can always get a resin painted.
It's an original sculpted in sculpty and your reply gave me more then enough info for it. Now just to find a local caster, gonna try a good lead someone gave me.
Thanks.
DDura711 is offline   Reply With Quote